Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM

40 posts, read 55,745 times

Advertisements

Okay cool I will check it out!!! Probably can't afford it but it's at least worth checking out! Thanks for your help!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
Okay cool I will check it out!!! Probably can't afford it but it's at least worth checking out! Thanks for your help!
Did you try checking out Albany, NY?

And are you renting or owning?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Did you try checking out Albany, NY?

And are you renting or owning?
I thought about Albany, Philly too. Good suggestion

Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
If you have lived in North Carolina most of your life, I think Denver, Colorado would be your best location. They even like Southern accents there. They kept asking us if we were from Texas and they get a lot of tourist from Texas so they viewed us favorably. I don't think the people of the Northeast would think that way. I find many from the Northeast look down on anyone with a Southern accent.

You didn't mention your occupation, so that is something else to consider. I am a North Carolina native and I thoroughly enjoyed the almost year we stayed in Denver. We were welcomed into the Bonnie Brae Baptist Church and found many things to do during our stay there while my husband went to his company's computer school. We could not have been made to feel more welcome. The people who had gone to school in Hartford, CT, had some really different stories to tell. They went to both schools and hated Hartford and loved Denver. This was years ago, but I don't think that type thing changes this fast.

Last edited by NCN; 01-08-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM

142 posts, read 358,168 times
I think you should consider Boston and some other smaller cities not too far to the north, namely Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME.
Burlington, VT is another great small city.

Portsmouth and Portland are both on the coast, about an hour and an hour and a half north of Boston respectively.

Boston would be the best bet if you can swing it and if you decide to live a little north of the city then you are that much closer to the hiking, camping and skiing in Maine, NH and Vermont. Canada is not all that far away either !

Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Albany doesn't really appeal to me and Philly is on my HELL NO list!!! (along with Atlanta) :-P

So basically everyone thinks I should move to where they live?! LOL
I think Boston would be awesome but I know we can't afford it, not to live where we would want to there. And if we manage to come up with money for Boston then we would just move to NYC.
AHHH I'm so confused!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyG696 View Post
Albany doesn't really appeal to me and Philly is on my HELL NO list!!! (along with Atlanta) :-P

So basically everyone thinks I should move to where they live?! LOL
I think Boston would be awesome but I know we can't afford it, not to live where we would want to there. And if we manage to come up with money for Boston then we would just move to NYC.
AHHH I'm so confused!!!
What about Bayonne, NJ or Jersey City, NJ.
HAh i know you just said that ppl are saying that you should move where they live, but i didnt at first. but now i am but it's only because its Cheaper than NYC but REALLY close. Bayonne is more of a go i would say because most of the town is safe unlike chunks of Jersey City (greenville section). But if you try Jersey City. Look at the Journal Square, Newport, and Jersey City Heights sections of town.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM

142 posts, read 358,168 times
Ok, I see your point about Boston vs. NYC as far as if you can afford one then you can afford the other.

If it were me in your situation I would look to northern California (SF or Oakland )and if that is not affordable or appealing then I think Denver looks really good.

I've been to Denver and I really liked it; its beautiful out there.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 PM

We're definitely considering the Northern NJ areas (Wayne, Newport, Jersey City Heights etc). And Denver is still on the list! I hate decisions!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
Ok, I see your point about Boston vs. NYC as far as if you can afford one then you can afford the other.
Have you looked at rents in Manhattan vs Boston? Manhattan is about double.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.