U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 PM

357 posts, read 1,251,100 times

Advertisements

In most canadian provinces, you can only buy beer and alcohol at liquor and beer stores, not at supermarkets or at the 7-11....in most cases, the liqour and beer stores are state owned.

in the usa, i know most states you can buy beer at 7-11 and other convenience stores....but is there any states where you can't and can only get alcohol at alcohol-specific stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 12:57 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,612,223 times
Default I don't know of any state where it is strictly state run

It varies so widely state to state but I do not know of any state in the US where it is strictly a state owned enterprise and all other private stores are banned from any sales.

You do have a bunch of states where the state does a monopolization of wholesale and/or retail alcohol sales but sort of sub-contracts by license to private shops. Ohio is like that. In those situation you get some of the most screwed up choices of booze going. Yup, the government can screw up a free lunch. Florida has some of the worse supermarket brand wine in the World.

Not all states allow grocery or convenience store sales, some must be strictly liquor type stores and that is further complicated by a particular areas rules. For the USA it is mostly like everything else today. You got to have a license and not all licenses are the same.

They even can get into what day of the week it is, brooze content and if your dog is limping or not. If you are on a major freeway, probably can get your booze at any truckstop or major gas station, anywhere.

The ones to check might be in Idaho or Utah. Them tricky religion type guys and their rules. But money talks and everybody walks, usually with their booze.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,076,774 times
Idaho, Oregon & Washington.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 PM

304 posts, read 1,302,619 times
In Idaho you can buy beer & wine at the grocery store or convenience store. The hard liquors though are sold by state facilities....unless it has changed in the past year.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:10 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,644,174 times
Pennsylvania and New Jersey restricts the sale of alcohol to only liquor stores. You can't buy anywhere else.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:00 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,241,906 times
Texas. We have wet and dry areas. Then in some of the wet areas only beer/wine can be sold. All stores can sell beer/wine in the wet areas as long as they are so far from a school/house/church. Our areas are divided by jurisdiction lines and sometimes they may overlap different cities/towns. Not until a few years ago could I buy beer/wine in my city and it is in the top 10 in size for the state. Someone got a petition going and got it out for a vote of the citizens. No stores that sell alcohol in Texas are owned by the state.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,612,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Pennsylvania and New Jersey restricts the sale of alcohol to only liquor stores. You can't buy anywhere else.
Wow, this is not good. This means Oil City is booze starved. A massive government program to punish citizens, bout like Charlie on the MTA. Probably have hours like the Post Office. Explains the folks pouring arcoss the border into Ohio, pouring with a finger to down their throats and making sounds like the last death rattle.

New Jersey, no wonder nobody wants to go there.

Tho, in Bayonne, we never went without, don't remember where we got it, are you sure about NJ??? We sure had lot of parties and even got resuppy very late at night.

Or do you mean there are liquor stores but not run by the government?

OP say'd it had to be government only to qualify. Sweden does that, even to ration booze. Just makes them go crazy when they get into a place that does not.

This is looking more curiouser for Oil City. Does this mean I have to take my own beer across state lines on the big visit??? Is that even legal?

I bet there is a lot of bootlegging going on. Oil City could be a big hub. They have experience pumping stuff from deep hidden crannies.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:46 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,433,176 times
Wyoming you can only buy in a liquor store. Not in convienience stores.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,262,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
New Jersey, no wonder nobody wants to go there.
Man, that was a rude shock, one time. My Dad lives out there, and nor he or anyone in the house drinks. I don't drive, but I figured; hey, the supermarket's right there.

I wound up having to walk two miles to the liquor store. For a six of Bud!

But, I like it out there (Hackettstown). Beats the **** outta LawnGuyland.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 PM

435 posts, read 1,676,709 times
Beer & wine can be bought at the store/gas station etc. in NC Liquor has to be bought at the ABC store . But alcohol can't be bought on Sunday's until noon. If I'm not mistaken the ABC stores aren't even open on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or