Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Islanders moving to Triangle area North Carolina, schools over crowded, poor public school districts, beware moving from Long Island to Cary North Carolina

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 9,704 times

Advertisements

Actually I am moving in with my in laws rent free!! I have a few job opportunties but I am going to start my own in home personal training buisness. I have a ton of certifications, experience and am insured. If i dont get clients righta way i will take one of the opportunties. We wont need more then 125 dollars a week in order to survive so I am not worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 AM

939 posts, read 2,671,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeohrablo View Post
Actually I am moving in with my in laws rent free!! I have a few job opportunties but I am going to start my own in home personal training buisness. I have a ton of certifications, experience and am insured. If i dont get clients righta way i will take one of the opportunties. We wont need more then 125 dollars a week in order to survive so I am not worried.
$125.00 a week to survive? Living w/your in-laws? If you're living rent free, at least take them out to dinner every week. How long do you think this will last? I mean, come on! How old are you?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,846,135 times
I would feel humiliated at 24 years old if I lived at my in-laws' house rent free.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:31 AM

893 posts, read 2,852,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I would feel humiliated at 24 years old if I lived at my in-laws' house rent free.
Many people on Long Island live with realities till the late 20's early 30's. Its just a factor of life here. But In-Law's that's a bit of a stretch.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:40 PM

True. Well I guess I would feel that way because I've been on my own since I was 18 and now buying a house on Long Island...so I would definitely not want to live with my parents after all this time living on my own.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,704 times
jeez gimma break were talking a few months until we get a place. They will be in Germany for the summer so we will watch the house/take care, the lawn, take care of the dog etc until they come back so its a win/win situation. They offered a million times so why not be smart , save some money then get a place? If It becomes too crazy/crowded then we will get an apartment. Just doesnt make sense moving into a place right away when we are moving in 4 weeks. need to get situated first, save a few bucks, get the buisness going etc. its not like im thinking "wow lets milk this for everything its worth" If I start making money right away I'll of course give them money. I was quoting 125 a week because it wont be hard to cover that and them some right away. This is family we are talking about Like the truth said with the state of the economy alot of people are doing it, nothing humiliating about it I'll be able to save money right away and get a place after 4-6 months. Maybe I should have said it differently I probably came off as a freeloader lol its not the case at all. I probably wont last 4 months before we get an apartment (which I hear you can get a NICE two bedroom in raleigh for 600-700) I live in a ground level ONE bedroom place now paying 1,100. So its a big difference. Long island is depressing, places closed all over, I am tired of my job and I'm ready for change. Can't wait!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,692,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Why would one who just moved from Long Island if they were looking for a change want to move to Cary.....
I can tell you this....we have experienced for 95% nothing but acceptance...yes there are some that it is true when they hear your accent ( which is undeniable) being born and raised in long island for 37 years that can be downright rude, ex....hubby went to a john deer place in to get a sprinker tool the other day and felt 100% that the guy was nasty and rude just because of where he was from .....but thats not the norm...

As for Cary.....we go there to shop at Trader Joes and I can say that as soon as we turn into that parking lot its pure hell......yep back in NY.....the people just alone in the parking lot got my husband steaming, where we are people are just road curteous, as soon as we got there it felt like we were back on Long island.....he told me, next time go on your own....he didnt want to deal with the stress....

We moved for the change......not to move 500 plus miles away to be near the same type of people in a different place, however I will say my neighbors accross the street are from Port Washington and Massapequa and their next door is from Jersey, but very nice laid back northerners....

If you move this far or anywhere for that matter you have to just assume that you're going to get difference, and be open to it....otherwise why move.......
I laugh how us New Yorkers want to move for a change but always wind up in the same place....with other New Yorkers. We all hate the rudeness and fast paced go go go lifestyle but also have come to expect certain things from a place when we move and therefore gravitate toward the same places.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I laugh how us New Yorkers want to move for a change but always wind up in the same place....with other New Yorkers. We all hate the rudeness and fast paced go go go lifestyle but also have come to expect certain things from a place when we move and therefore gravitate toward the same places.

lol that's a really good and funny point.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 PM

431 posts, read 1,334,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post

As I said I knew areas we didnt want to be and yes we knew the town we chose was becoming one of "those areas" but not just for ny'rs people from all over......but yes it was funny after we went to contract we went back to the house and saw the neighbor across the street and introduced ourselves and thats when we found out....

Trust me Long Island will always be in my heart....its where I grew up got married and raised my boys up to this point, and my parents, mother in law, brother and friends are all still there....for now...lol......

But as I said we wanted a change......so we looked for one......we have 3 familys from long island one jersey, one nc fam, vermont, virginia, boston and more.......but its funny my closet neighbors out my front door are long islanders......

And I used Trader Joes as an example.....its not the only area in Cary we felt that way......and honestly the make up of what we did see also reminded us of long island.......maybe thats what draws others there.....dunno......

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,692,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
As I said I knew areas we didnt want to be and yes we knew the town we chose was becoming one of "those areas" but not just for ny'rs people from all over......but yes it was funny after we went to contract we went back to the house and saw the neighbor across the street and introduced ourselves and thats when we found out....

Trust me Long Island will always be in my heart....its where I grew up got married and raised my boys up to this point, and my parents, mother in law, brother and friends are all still there....for now...lol......

But as I said we wanted a change......so we looked for one......we have 3 familys from long island one jersey, one nc fam, vermont, virginia, boston and more.......but its funny my closet neighbors out my front door are long islanders......

And I used Trader Joes as an example.....its not the only area in Cary we felt that way......and honestly the make up of what we did see also reminded us of long island.......maybe thats what draws others there.....dunno......

We just become used to a certain way of life. Long Island would be considered a city in some parts of the country. When you think about how many convieniences we have up here its tough to match. For me personally I am not fond of the weather or the congestion. However with more population comes more opportunities. Taking the good with the bad.

I agree that change can be a very good thing. I was in Texas for a while and look forward to my next adventure in the fall..wherever that may be :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.