U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Islanders moving to Triangle area North Carolina, schools over crowded, poor public school districts, beware moving from Long Island to Cary North Carolina

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,434,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I quoted this from an old post but I was wondering - is this true? I have a son who will turn 16 soon. He's a sophomore and hasn't taken driver's ed yet. Will he be forced to? I'm trying to stall on this whole driving thing since I don't want him out on the roads anytime soon.
The poster you quoted is confused. There is no mandatory licensing in NC the way described. The confusion may come from the fact that NC requires a driver's education certificate for anyone under 18 before they'll license them.

So you can pace your son as you see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,695,286 times
theirs other parts of NC your posting about 1 area.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 AM
GPC

1,218 posts, read 2,841,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The poster you quoted is confused. There is no mandatory licensing in NC the way described. The confusion may come from the fact that NC requires a driver's education certificate for anyone under 18 before they'll license them.

So you can pace your son as you see fit.
That's a relief. Thank you! I think 16 is way too young to be driving!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 AM

4,718 posts, read 10,318,015 times
Really?

In Pennsylvania kids get their permits at 15, yes 15. And then you can take your test as soon as you turn 16. Hate to say it but there are way more better drivers back there then here.

Quote:
That's a relief. Thank you! I think 16 is way too young to be driving!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:59 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Really?

In Pennsylvania kids get their permits at 15, yes 15. And then you can take your test as soon as you turn 16. Hate to say it but there are way more better drivers back there then here.
Yes, really. I'm not looking to start a debate over what age group makes better drivers. Obviously there can be sucky drivers at any age. I still think someone should - at the very least - be a HS graduate before they get their license. There's no way anyone can convince me that's it's a good, or even an okay, idea for 15 and 16 year olds to be driving.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 PM

4,718 posts, read 10,318,015 times
Then how do they get to their part time jobs?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:25 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Then how do they get to their part time jobs?
Usually 15 and 16 year olds have parents capable of driving them. They also usually have legs of their own and are able to walk to their local pizzeria, supermarket, or wherever else they're working. With the problem of obesity in this country, everyone should walk more anyway. They shouldn't be working too many hours a week at that age anyway. Their main priority at that age should be their schoolwork.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM

16,799 posts, read 25,876,904 times
You can get your learner's permit in NC at age 15. The question GPC was asking referred to a poster who said it's MANDATORY for a 16 year old to get a license in NC, which is an absolutely ridiculous statement - how could any state FORCE a person to have a driver's license?!

Personally I think people are better drivers when they learn to drive young. I know a few people who grew up in NYC and didn't start driving in their teens and they are terrible drivers (*cough* my dad *cough*). But just because someone has a permit doesn't mean they have to rush into getting a license.

Also, in NC you cannot even take a driver's test until you provide proof that the child is listed on your insurance policy. It's pretty easy to skirt that in NY - most people wil avoid adding their kids till they have an accident and then it's "oh, yeah, little Johhny JUST got his license, meant to tell you"....

Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
But just because someone has a permit doesn't mean they have to rush into getting a license.
I'm okay with this - I don't mind my son getting his permit and learning how to drive. I just don't want him getting his license and driving alone anytime soon. I want him to at least be out of HS before that happens.

I was 19 when I got my driver's license. Looking back, I was a pretty sensible teen but even so, I wouldn't have been ready to drive alone at 15 or 16.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:55 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,695,286 times
Quote:
I'm okay with this - I don't mind my son getting his permit and learning how to drive. I just don't want him getting his license and driving alone anytime soon. I want him to at least be out of HS before that happens.

I was 19 when I got my driver's license. Looking back, I was a pretty sensible teen but even so, I wouldn't have been ready to drive alone at 15 or 16.
Shoot we drive at 5!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.