U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Islanders moving to Triangle area North Carolina, schools over crowded, poor public school districts, beware moving from Long Island to Cary North Carolina

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM

46 posts, read 107,575 times

Advertisements

I'd like to chime in with my experiences.....
I'm originally from Hicksville and my wife and I moved to the suburbs of Atlanta in 1998 because we couldn't afford L.I.

Its very affordable to live here and everything is cheap, including the way the homes are built. The new homes that were built during the 1980s through today are made out of cardboard or styrofoam sheathing. This is code. The sidings warp, the windows are crooked, the floors are 1/4 inch chipboard. Plumbing problems, roofs and flashing being built wrong, leaks, foundation problems, drainage and grading issues..etc..etc. There were big investigative news reports here some years ago about the shoddy work from homebuilders...big national companys and local ones.

When my house was being built not to code, I complained to the county planning dept and the inspector said my complaints were wasting taxpayers money.

In many instances, the original local folks really do not like northerners. All the restaurants are chains, and tons of shopping. There is only one Greek diner, and its 22 miles away in Marietta, but the owners are from L.I. There is always a line out the door 24/7. No bagles or deli here. No bakery. No lox or pastrami. No sicilian slices. No seafood, no lobster or clams. Mostly Waffle House and biscuits and gravy, deep fried steak, fried chicken, fried ocra, fried tomatoes, but a lot of good bbq chains. No local parks or trails. Not much in the way of historical museums, parks, or cultural places. The weather is nice, but we do get ice storms, huge hail storms, and tornadoes. Most strip malls have 2 cleaners, 2 hair salons, 1 PapaJohns, 1 Little Ceasars, and Chinese take-out and thats it. But gas is 3.29 now. The train system is very small and only covers the Atlanta metro area, you have to drive everywhere and the traffic is terrible.

Being a widower now with no family here or kids, the singles scene leaves something to be desired. Most single women my age perfer "southern gentleman" or country boys that like "muddin" and nascar. I feel like I dont belong here. My wife died in this house and I want to leave, but not to be alone in another area of Atlanta.

This is just my experience. Your mileage may vary.... I have some friends at work from NY. Some like it here, and some moved back. Some nothern transplants may like it here, especially if they have family here with them. I think thats the whole key in a nut shell. I dont, so now that the home prices have come down on L.I., I'll be coming back home to family. If it doesnt work out....then I'll retire in Florida near my other brother and family. Sorry for rambling and the long post...

Last edited by denniswilson; 11-19-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM

4,345 posts, read 7,501,687 times
I also don't like Northerners and I'm from the North.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 PM

10,780 posts, read 13,688,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswilson View Post
I'm originally from Hicksville and my wife and I moved to the suburbs of Atlanta in 1998 because we couldn't afford L.I.

Its very affordable to live here and everything is cheap, including the way the homes are built. The new homes that were built during the 1980s through today are made out of cardboard or styrofoam sheathing. This is code. The sidings warp, the windows are crooked, the floors are 1/4 inch chipboard. Plumbing problems, roofs and flashing being built wrong, leaks, foundation problems, drainage and grading issues..etc..etc. There were big investigative news reports here some years ago about the shoddy work from homebuilders...big national companys and local ones.

When my house was being built not to code, I complained to the county planning dept and the inspector said my complaints were wasting taxpayers money.

In many instances, the original local folks really do not like northerners. All the restaurants are chains, and tons of shopping. There is only one Greek diner, and its 22 miles away in Marietta, but the owners are from L.I. There is always a line out the door 24/7. No bagles or deli here. No bakery. No lox or pastrami. No sicilian slices. No seafood, no lobster or clams. Mostly Waffle House and biscuits and gravy, deep fried steak, fried chicken, fried ocra, fried tomatoes, but a lot of good bbq chains. No local parks or trails. Not much in the way of historical museums, parks, or cultural places. The weather is nice, but we do get ice storms, huge hail storms, and tornadoes. Most strip malls have 2 cleaners, 2 hair salons, 1 PapaJohns, 1 Little Ceasars, and Chinese take-out and thats it. But gas is 3.29 now. The train system is very small and only covers the Atlanta metro area, you have to drive everywhere and the traffic is terrible.

Being a widower now with no family here or kids, the singles scene leaves something to be desired. Most single women my age perfer "southern gentleman" or country boys that like "muddin" and nascar. I feel like I dont belong here. My wife died in this house and I want to leave, but not to be alone in another area of Atlanta.

This is just my experience. Your mileage may vary.... I have some friends at work from NY. Some like it here, and some moved back. Some nothern transplants may like it here, especially if they have family here with them. I think thats the whole key in a nut shell. I dont, so now that the home prices have come down on L.I., I'll be coming back home to family. If it doesnt work out....then I'll retire in Florida near my other brother and family. Sorry for rambling and the long post...
Thanks for sharing.

I have no doubt that I will be moving out of here when my wife retires from her public sector gravy train job, but I'll be damned if I'm moving to some cookie-cutter next generation Long Island suburban sprawl fest as the next step. I'll be ready for a small city/town or more rural area.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 AM

629 posts, read 1,463,155 times
Quote:
In many instances, the original local folks really do not like northerners.
I despise Northerners too - I don't blame your locals one bit.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,386,387 times
Quote:

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your regretable move to Atlanta. A lot us LI'ers, who are planning our great escapes, forget in our collective misery to think about where we're headed and whether it's really a higher quality of life or just a dog with different fleas. Or if we're just following the trend.

No place is perfect and lots of destinations have hidden costs and economic drawbacks that may be surprising. The best way to find a better place to live is to sample the destination, less as a tourist, more as a member of community. This is far easier said than done, and I realize the cost of living on LI precludes many us from being able to live this dual existence.

My family's destination will be to a place where have friends and acquaintances, but where the schools are a big unknown. Having lived there about 12 years ago, I remember it taking a good 5 months to adjust to the different culture and feel of environment. Today, when I look back, there are many trade-offs I'd be willing to personally make in order to live back in that city.

As far as building or buying a house, it's buyer beware. I have colleagues that live in an Atlanta suburb and their house is beautiful and well built (or at least appears to be well-built). You need to supervise every task when building a house. When buying a house, educate yourself on construction techniques. I know, it's a wide ranging topic, but there are techniques to framing, to plumbing and electrical and there are commonly accepted standard ways to put up and finish dry-wall. Know what you're buying up front... it's always going to be risk.

Having given you the benefit of my hindsight , I hope you can find a place to live that will bring you happiness.

You don't like muddin'? Really?

Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,638,559 times
Quote:

Hi Dennis,
Did you find a co-op or condo on Long Island or in Queens after all?

I am surprised what you say about the lack of culture in Atlanta. I have always wanted to visit the Margaret Mitchell house and the aquarium, which I think is the largest aquarium in the US.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,259,874 times
We moved to Pittsburgh in the summer. The few reasons we had for moving were schools, jobs, cost of living and people. The schools are excellent here ; we were in Longwood and our kids went to parochial. So now they go to public and absolutley love it. Would they have been as happy in Longwood ; I dont know. But I do know that the total school population in their district now is only about 3000. They are thriving both socially and academically.
Jobs ; we havent picked up a job yet but that is our own fault ; we havent really been looking as we have spent a lot of time going to and from Ireland trying to take care of my MIl who has dementia. Once she is in a home, we can buckle down. I am on the short list for an accounting job in a law firm. Cost of living ; our house is 13 years old, on an acre, taxes are about 5-6,000 and we have no mortgage. Utilities are about the same if not lower than NY. Insurance ; that is the biggy ; our homeowners is about $650 a year. Car insurance is about $600 per year per car. Health insurance ; if we pay for it it will be about $500 a month. People ; they are so so nice. Two weeks ago, I was in Ireland and my older son (13) had to have his appendix out here. My other son is 12 and so we had nobody to watch him. I called a local parent whose son is in school with my son and on the bus and asked if my son could stay ; no problem at all. He ended up staying in the hospital with my dh and sick son and it wasnt an issue with the hospital at all. They opened a room for my well son and dh and everything was fine.
I walk our dog a lot around the area. Honestly, people have no issue at all if he walks on their grass. In our old development in Medford, neighbours used to scream at me to keep the dog off their grass. Honstely isnt there more to life than a dog walking (doing nothing else) on grass. Other dogs come out and bark ; their owners come out and apologize to us for their dogs barking. Its not an issue at all.
So far its been a wonderful move. We know we will get jobs ; yes, they may not pay as well as long Island, but thats ok. We have no regrets at all.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 PM

639 posts, read 940,242 times
I was always somewhat curious why Long Islanders, and Northerners in general, always move to the south instead of the west. I feel like they would fit in better with the people of Colorado, Arizona, and Oregon better than the natives of the south due to culture. But I guess it's because of proximity to their original home.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 AM

629 posts, read 1,463,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
I was always somewhat curious why Long Islanders, and Northerners in general, always move to the south instead of the west. I feel like they would fit in better with the people of Colorado, Arizona, and Oregon better than the natives of the south due to culture. But I guess it's because of proximity to their original home.
Here's a great interactive map that shows migration trends:
American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM

4,345 posts, read 7,501,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
The problem with "the culture" isn't the natives of the South, it is often with Long Islanders and other denizens of the tri-state metro area who move or visit. Unless they're in Chicago or St Louis an Islander will often rub folks the wrong way most anywhere until they get the hang of the new place. Been there done that myself, learned my lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.