U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Islanders moving to Triangle area North Carolina, schools over crowded, poor public school districts, beware moving from Long Island to Cary North Carolina

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 PM

718 posts, read 2,713,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I believe LIPA's 0.21 or so per KwH is 2nd in the nation...behind Oahu which is $0.32 per KwH

I just checked my elecric bill, we are at 10.6 cents a kWh including taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:25 PM

10,769 posts, read 13,666,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_From_NY View Post
I got more creative. Desperation is the mother of creativity. I bought a cheap old motorhome on ebay for $2k, found a commercial storage yard where I could (ahem)"store" it for $50 a month, an then slowly, incrementally moved in. I convinced the property manager that it would be a good idea for all concerned, if I simply stayed there, kept an eye on things, and made sure the gate was locked up at night after the last of the landscapers came in. I added 2 more large vehicles to my menagerie, voluntarily upped my own rent to $100 a month(I was feeling guilty about only paying $50 a month with extra 2 vehicles). Got my own electric meter
and account, and personal mail addressed to the yard actually get delivered to "my" mailbox there. I use cellular for both phone and internet access.

You're like McGyver.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 PM

91 posts, read 232,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
I agree with you.
We have way less traffic than on LI. What people in NC call traffic is laughable.
The best part is on the weekends in the summer you can actually drive around in no traffic at all. Try going out to the Hamptons on a weekend or out of NY at all. The only thing we did on LI is sit in traffic on the weekends unless we stayed local.

Electric is much cheaper outside of LI/NY. My electric bill is approx 160.00 a month for a 3400 sq ft home with central air running constantly in the summer set at 70. My monthly gas bill is 122.00 a month(includes heating).

I think you know exactly what you are talking about.
Thank you. Yeah, I can't imagine anyone trying to argue *anything* is cheaper on LI than in the Carolinas(except maybe LI clams). There was a website(I can't remember the name/URL right now) where you could plug in your zip code, and the zip code of your intended relocation destination, and get a readout of the cost-of-living differences between the two, and mine showed something like a 36% reduction compared to LI.

And the "traffic"? Now granted it was summer, so maybe that's why it was so light, but I found out that non-rush hour meant you'd be sharing the highway with maybe 2 or 3 cars (as far as the eye could see in both directions). "Rush"-hour turned out to mean you'd have to share the highway with 5 additional cars and one semi. I had left extra early in the morning from the hotel for the 20 mile drive to Greenville-Spartanburg airport, worried what the traffic would be like at 7am - I wound up getting there 3 hours early, and that's with missing my exit due to daydreaming and needing to drive past GSP and turnaround. In contrast, it took me FOUR HOURS to drive the 70 miles to Newark Int airport from Suffolk County LI. I don't know about the Charlotte, NC area, but Upstate SC , at least in the summer, was wide open.

I might try flying in to Charlotte next time, and simply driving the 90 miles
to the Spartanburg area - shouldn't take more than 90 minutes. This way, I can avoid that miserable trip to Newark, take the train to LGA instead and just leave my car at home. Newark RAPES you for parking fees! $50
for 3 days in the "economy" lot! Add the tolls, time and aggravation, and as nice as and convenient as GSP is, the only cheap flights to it are from Newark. But there are cheap flights from LGA to CLT, so I'm definitely going to consider going that route next time.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 PM

324 posts, read 654,228 times
I moved from LI to NC about 2 years ago and I was back home in 14 months due to psycho neighbors. But I will be the first to agree that the grass is not always greenier on the other side. But where I lived in NC..Mooresville..Lake Norman Area...the schools were top notch and better then any schools I saw on LI! But then again..the Lake Norman Schools are some of the best in NC!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM

91 posts, read 232,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I believe LIPA's 0.21 or so per KwH is 2nd in the nation...behind Oahu which is $0.32 per KwH
Here's a snippet of my last LIPA bill:

DELIVERY & SYSTEM CHARGES
1790KWH @ $ .0863
POWER SUPPLY CHARGES
1473 KWH @ $ .10931

So if I add .0863 and .1093, I come up with about 19.6 cents per kwh plus tax(es). Not exactly a bargain, and it's about to go up again. What happens when $4-5 gallon diesel returns?

Last edited by Escape_From_NY; 03-18-2009 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: formatting problem

Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
If you are upper class than LI is great for you and if you are lower class than what state is better than NY for the welfare programs? However, the middle class has no place on LI.

My fiance and I make around 6000 a month after taxes (in our 20s, so our teacher salaries will go up. I also pay city tax, so salary will go up once I move back to the island) and we consider ourselves middle class on Long Island. We aren't being forced out? There's gotta be some middle class people who are still able to stay on the island.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM

718 posts, read 2,713,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My fiance and I make around 6000 a month after taxes (in our 20s, so our teacher salaries will go up) and we consider ourselves middle class on Long Island. We aren't being forced out? There's gotta be some middle class people who are still able to stay on the island.

Do you have kids? Pay daycare? Own a home?
I would add a couple of kids to the mix and see how far the 6000.00 a month works for you.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:12 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Do you have kids? Pay daycare? Own a home?
I would add a couple of kids to the mix and see how far the 6000.00 a month works for you.

We just bought a house in Levittown. It's in contract.

We aren't going to pay for daycare because I'm going on maternity leave for a few years to raise them. Thinking about opening up a daycare for a few kids while I raise my own. I'm a teacher, so it might make myself more marketable. Cheaper than daycare centers too.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:58 PM

893 posts, read 2,517,916 times
I don't know about Raleigh. But after College I plan on giving the south a shot. Unless the North is the new hot spot by then.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,258,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
We just bought a house in Levittown. It's in contract.

We aren't going to pay for daycare because I'm going on maternity leave for a few years to raise them. Thinking about opening up a daycare for a few kids while I raise my own. I'm a teacher, so it might make myself more marketable. Cheaper than daycare centers too.
If you're going on maternity leave for a few years, won't that lower your monthly income? Just saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.