U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Islanders moving to Triangle area North Carolina, schools over crowded, poor public school districts, beware moving from Long Island to Cary North Carolina

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
If you're going on maternity leave for a few years, won't that lower your monthly income? Just saying

We'll have money saved, and like I said, I plan on opening a private daycare center in our home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 AM

10,773 posts, read 13,666,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My fiance and I make around 6000 a month after taxes (in our 20s, so our teacher salaries will go up. I also pay city tax, so salary will go up once I move back to the island) and we consider ourselves middle class on Long Island. We aren't being forced out? There's gotta be some middle class people who are still able to stay on the island.
Just be very careful in this economy assuming that the teaching jobs will be there...pink slips galore on the way at schools if they haven't already come..if you don't have any seniority, don't assume anything.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Just be very careful in this economy assuming that the teaching jobs will be there...pink slips galore on the way at schools if they haven't already come..if you don't have any seniority, don't assume anything.

There aren't going to be any layoffs in the NYC department of ed.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:25 AM

10,773 posts, read 13,666,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There aren't going to be any layoffs in the NYC department of ed.
Oh, you guys are NYC teachers. My condolences. In that case you are in good shape.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:33 PM

431 posts, read 1,212,382 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_From_NY View Post
Did you move to Clayton, NC? A fellow I worked with in Holbrook, NY - (his name is Phil)his ex-wife and kids moved to Clayton, NC about a year or so ago, and he borrowed an ambulette from work to drive his kids and some belongings down there. (Just wondering
We moved to Clayton, NC......and are very happy

Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
So, let me give you the heads up on Moving Down to NC. My parents have been down there for about 4 years now. Your property taxes are extremely low, however they will be reassessed when you move in. Don't be surprised if they go above 1k after you move in. Not a big deal, but the RE agents are very misleading to NYers about the this! The roads are very dangerous on account of mandatory licensing of students above the age of 16. Car insurance isn't cheaper down there due to high rate of young drivers and uninsured vehicles.
If you have children going to school, don't be surprised if they are way advanced for the learning curve that you will find there. The schools have grown so exponentially in the past 10 years that most of them are just about ready to pop, and property taxes have increased in the past few years and will continue to increase to account for the school growth. My parents property taxes have doubled in the time they have been there.

I know people that have gone down there and loved it and people that will go down and be back in 6 months. It has a lot to do with your ability to accept different cultures. You will meet people who are self-proclaimed "rednecks" or "hill-billies" and are very unaccepting of outsiders (Northerners.) You will meet people who are convinced that Iraq attacked the United States, people who will use the term 9/11 more than Rudy Guliani, and people who believe that the South didn't lose the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War.) I kid you not, the history teachers in Raleigh taught this until a few years ago. You are also guaranteed to meet people who hear your accent and are just pathetically rude for no other reason than you are a Northerner. Two solutions. 1. Move to Cary or areas that are more expensive as the only people that can afford those houses are Northerners 2. Just ignore them. If you move into one of the outside areas you are bound to meet those people.
Why would one who just moved from Long Island if they were looking for a change want to move to Cary.....
I can tell you this....we have experienced for 95% nothing but acceptance...yes there are some that it is true when they hear your accent ( which is undeniable) being born and raised in long island for 37 years that can be downright rude, ex....hubby went to a john deer place in to get a sprinker tool the other day and felt 100% that the guy was nasty and rude just because of where he was from .....but thats not the norm...

As for Cary.....we go there to shop at Trader Joes and I can say that as soon as we turn into that parking lot its pure hell......yep back in NY.....the people just alone in the parking lot got my husband steaming, where we are people are just road curteous, as soon as we got there it felt like we were back on Long island.....he told me, next time go on your own....he didnt want to deal with the stress....

We moved for the change......not to move 500 plus miles away to be near the same type of people in a different place, however I will say my neighbors accross the street are from Port Washington and Massapequa and their next door is from Jersey, but very nice laid back northerners....

If you move this far or anywhere for that matter you have to just assume that you're going to get difference, and be open to it....otherwise why move.......

Old 03-21-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_From_NY View Post
"So, let me give you the heads up on Moving Down to NC. My parents have been down there for about 4 years now. Your property taxes are extremely low, however they will be reassessed when you move in. Don't be surprised if they go above 1k after you move in. Not a big deal, but the RE agents are very misleading to NYers about the this!"

Car insurance isn't cheaper down there due to high rate of young drivers and uninsured vehicles.
I don't believe this is true at all....

We were paying around $2,500 for 2 vehicles on Long island a 2004 ford excursion and a 07 dodge caliber

We are now paying alittle over $1,200 for both cars same coverage......

I will say we weren't thrilled with the regristration fee for the first time registration when you switch over........Its a road/property tax.....

you pay a percentage of your vehicles value......but it cant go over $200 and something....cant remember what the cap is......so to change our plates to nc it cost around $460 one time fee which stinks since we paid taxes on the cars when we bought them new.......but its what they do, then its a $28 renewal fee every year.......

Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 AM

8,743 posts, read 12,179,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I was one that almost moved to Cary,Nc after hearing all the hype I spend two weeks there with my family that includes 3 school age children. I was looking into the schools and one was going to be bused 45 minutes away and the other two were going to be 25 minutes away. There are no neighborhood schools and could be bused anywhere in the county. The funny thing was one of the schools was only 3 minutes away and they weren't going to attend After doing some research and a lot of traveling I ended up in Chesterfield County,Va in the beautiful town of Midlothian Village. The school system is 100% better and all three are going to the same school that is only 2 minutes from the house. No traffic and no stress just the way I like it
How are taxes in VA/MD in a good school town? If we're not staying in LI, then I think that would be the next best place for us for a variety of reasons. Just need to know how we'll fit in financially compared to LI.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 PM

718 posts, read 2,713,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
Why would one who just moved from Long Island if they were looking for a change want to move to Cary.....
I can tell you this....we have experienced for 95% nothing but acceptance...yes there are some that it is true when they hear your accent ( which is undeniable) being born and raised in long island for 37 years that can be downright rude, ex....hubby went to a john deer place in to get a sprinker tool the other day and felt 100% that the guy was nasty and rude just because of where he was from .....but thats not the norm...

As for Cary.....we go there to shop at Trader Joes and I can say that as soon as we turn into that parking lot its pure hell......yep back in NY.....the people just alone in the parking lot got my husband steaming, where we are people are just road curteous, as soon as we got there it felt like we were back on Long island.....he told me, next time go on your own....he didnt want to deal with the stress....

We moved for the change......not to move 500 plus miles away to be near the same type of people in a different place, however I will say my neighbors accross the street are from Port Washington and Massapequa and their next door is from Jersey, but very nice laid back northerners....

If you move this far or anywhere for that matter you have to just assume that you're going to get difference, and be open to it....otherwise why move.......

You are comparing one parking lot which is a complete madhouse(Trader Joes's) to all of Cary?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:54 PM

6 posts, read 11,440 times
Thumbs up agree with you

Lived in Raleigh 5 years. hated every minute of it. they can keep their dried up muddy lakes, water restrictions, over crowded schools, ignorance, crime, ghetto apartment complexes on every corner, sneakily hidden behind beautiful trees, too many more to mention. Oh did I mention, they don't know how to signal when driving? I'd rather pay the high taxes in NY then send my kids to their "excuses" they call schools. Lots of gang problems in their schools.
Doesn't matter where you live either, they bus them from everywhere. I could go on, but I don't have the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.