U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,993,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
yeah, floriduh has gone way downhill.

when i moved here in 97 it was affordable. today its not. the homes that are being built cannot be afforded by people making the avg salary.

nationwide is dropping 25k more policies today. and with their new plan to make insurance affordable(which is a joke) they are going to literally bankrupt the state, and the fed govt will prob have to bail it out.

i expect to see people starting to leave more than come in the next few yrs. 1 more and im out!

You and others hit it on the nail. FL is having political problems as well as crime, excess heat(im hot now) and insane house prices. Lots of people are leaving FL for states like NC, TN and even WV, OH, PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Somewhere in here it is going to dawn on you, Oil City is not in the sheltered lee of anything. It gets the same storms that pound nothern and NE Ohio. It is all the way up there at Lat 41.43.

It got those two ice storms just recently. One the day before I got home. Monroe county didn't get any of those storms. Hopefully we will get high enough in temps to get rid of our snow today.
Weather isnt everything. I like the nice brick houses, I like the price, I like the shopping and theres alot more to do in Oil city than many tiny towns in WV and SE Ohio. If you visit Oil city, compare it to Woodsfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
What I could never figure out is why people pay such outrageous prices for Florida real estate? This state has never had the fundamentals to support it.

apparently alot of people are tired of the cold and snow and would rather sweat 10 months of the year instead and pay twice what they were paying where they live. They also got crime and hurricanes to deal with. I wouldnt stay in south FL for even half the prices. I see alot more pros in the northeast than here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
well, back when i first moved here, you could buy a nice older condo in a tower right on the gulf for about 80k.

today, it would run you an easy 250.

i think everyone went crazy with the housing bubble, investors buying up everything cause they know there would be a bigger sucker soon.

now, people have in their head that the home they bough 4 yrs ago for 125 is truly worth 275, and are refusing to budge.

i think this whole state is about to crash, but im kinda a real estate pessimist..
Hurricane season of 2007 may do just that. People will then take them seriously. Insurance policies will be canceled left and right, people will be forced out and others wont want to come, they will probably be moving to Texas which is much cheaper than FL anyway.

$100k salary wont touch a house in LA without creative financing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I see alot more pros in the northeast than here.
Now you have really gone off the deep end, does your daddy know you have been smoking that stuff??

BTW - Fixing for the try going into Big Oil City. Going in well unarmed without back up except for the trusty semi-retired assistant. That is unless sis wants to go. Should know the tale of the tape in about a week. My only guide a few snippets of MapQuest on the laptop and God riding in the shotgun seat. Give me a fast Toyota, for I intend to go in harm's way.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:09 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,993,929 times
LOL it might be a little cold, no harm really. Dont forget to take as many pictures as you can. Drive around all of Oil city(and any nearby towns if you got time) and compare it to Woodsfield and Bluefield. Tell me the pros and cons of Oil city. I still wanna visit Oil city for myself, could be late spring or summer before I save enough money to do so.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 PM

669 posts, read 2,946,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You and others hit it on the nail. FL is having political problems as well as crime, excess heat(im hot now)...

apparently alot of people are tired of the cold and snow and would rather sweat 10 months of the year instead and pay twice what they were paying where they live. They also got crime and hurricanes to deal with. I wouldnt stay in south FL for even half the prices. I see alot more pros in the northeast than here.
...So excess heat is now a "problem" Florida is having? What the heck? IT'S FLORIDA, of course it's hot. This isn't a "problem"...

Political problems in Florida? I wouldn't disagree, it's just that every state is having these problems.

Also, you seem to think that just because it's in the northeast, it's safe. While it's true that the majority of the US safest cities are in the northern part of the country, that doesn't mean every place in the northeast has low crime like you seem to imagine.

Actually, sometimes, small towns can be more dangerous than big cities. Even if the crime itself is low, there is less people to spread the crime on, so therefore, your personal risk is higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or