Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:33 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering I hear alot of people who live in California and Florida saying at one time they were the best of both worlds and now they cant wait to leave has the quality of life really gone that much or is it an exaggeration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 07:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
It is worse than you think. In south Florida the first drop in quality of life was in the 1980's and the most dramatic drop was from 2002-present. Although there was a slow decline throughout the 90's things really only became intolerable in the last few years.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:17 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
I second this, cant wait to get out of south FL. Would rather be in Oil city in fact. Crime sucks here, insurance companies are canceling left and right, were gonna get hurricanes in a few months and house prices are insane and finally im sick of the heat.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I second this, cant wait to get out of south FL. Would rather be in Oil city in fact. Crime sucks here, insurance companies are canceling left and right, were gonna get hurricanes in a few months and house prices are insane and finally im sick of the heat.
Don't leave for Oil City just yet. We just caught another storm in these here parts. You know it is bad when Woodsfield exceeds the forecast. Lil Oil City probably got pasted its in about the right area. Got to check its newspaper.

Folks are saying this is the worse winter in maybe 30 years, some saying 50. And you missed all of it sweating in Florida. I missed a chunk of it too but I ain't complaining.

But yeah both FL and CA probably have gone down hill and in both cases from a failed set of public policy type issues and the inability of the people in those state to use the vote to stop their slide in fortune.

FL is in for a lot more trouble by trying to create different classes of citizens / residents and make "Outsiders, Snowbirds, Tourists and other Undesirables" pay to straighten out the mess the locals created by failure to hold the Pols accountable. State of ME apparently is having some of the same giggles. Wiring in a trip to Hell in a handbasket. Those other folks get to vote with their feet and wallets as well.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:30 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Don't leave for Oil City just yet. We just caught another storm in these here parts. You know it is bad when Woodsfield exceeds the forecast. Lil Oil City probably got pasted its in about the right area. Got to check its newspaper.

Folks are saying this is the worse winter in maybe 30 years, some saying 50. And you missed all of it sweating in Florida. I missed a chunk of it too but I ain't complaining.

But yeah both FL and CA probably have gone down hill and in both cases from a failed set of public policy type issues and the inability of the people in those state to use the vote to stop their slide in fortune.

FL is in for a lot more trouble by trying to create different classes of citizens / residents and make "Outsiders, Snowbirds, Tourists and other Undesirables" pay to straighten out the mess the locals created by failure to hold the Pols accountable. State of ME apparently is having some of the same giggles. Wiring in a trip to Hell in a handbasket. Those other folks get to vote with their feet and wallets as well.

Its 9 degrees in Oil city but thats just an unusual cold front. The forecast is 45-50 for a high and above freezing for a low. Ill probably sweat to 80 degrees here in south FL you are lucky to be living in southeast OH where the weather is better than south FL 8 out of 10 times. I agree with you, FL has political troubles.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:52 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
yeah, floriduh has gone way downhill.

when i moved here in 97 it was affordable. today its not. the homes that are being built cannot be afforded by people making the avg salary.

nationwide is dropping 25k more policies today. and with their new plan to make insurance affordable(which is a joke) they are going to literally bankrupt the state, and the fed govt will prob have to bail it out.

i expect to see people starting to leave more than come in the next few yrs. 1 more and im out!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Its 9 degrees in Oil city but thats just an unusual cold front. The forecast is 45-50 for a high and above freezing for a low. Ill probably sweat to 80 degrees here in south FL you are lucky to be living in southeast OH where the weather is better than south FL 8 out of 10 times. I agree with you, FL has political troubles.
Somewhere in here it is going to dawn on you, Oil City is not in the sheltered lee of anything. It gets the same storms that pound nothern and NE Ohio. It is all the way up there at Lat 41.43.

It got those two ice storms just recently. One the day before I got home. Monroe county didn't get any of those storms. Hopefully we will get high enough in temps to get rid of our snow today.

Florida full time residents are the main folks to blame. They are the only ones who get to vote. They bought into that scheme to create two type of residents / citizens and have them paying hugely different fees, taxes, etc. They are the ones who allowed the Pols to spend like drunken sailors, probably wasting a lot of it and create systems that demanded ever increasing revenues.

All the "Golden Places" made the same mistake. Allowing tax revenues to go thru the roof as property values increase instead of the voters demanding tax rate adjustments to keep the payment amounts level with very small allowable increases in total funds. Governments will spend every dime available and cry for more. The really bad mistake is trying to create two classes of citizens and tax / target them different. Every state that does that will eventually have big time problems and there may no good solutions.
Boston did the same exact thing in not adjusting tax rates, they just never figured out how to create different classes of citizens by there living habits. Tourists just get clobbered like the full time residents but are told to enjoy it as part of the Yankee experience.

You really see it in crystalblue's statement expecting somebody else to pay. Sort of a victim mentality and they keep voting to allow the same policies. Buying into the same rigged game that enventually is like a Ponzi scheme and must end the same way. Only in Florida's case Momma Nature lends a hand in really making a big mess. They have just allowed to many critical feature to get way out of hand. Prices for everything have no connection to reality. The same product coming from the same distribution warehouse in MO cost three times in Florida what it does in Ohio. Even costs more in Florida that it does in Canada.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
What I could never figure out is why people pay such outrageous prices for Florida real estate? This state has never had the fundamentals to support it.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:10 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
well, back when i first moved here, you could buy a nice older condo in a tower right on the gulf for about 80k.

today, it would run you an easy 250.

i think everyone went crazy with the housing bubble, investors buying up everything cause they know there would be a bigger sucker soon.

now, people have in their head that the home they bough 4 yrs ago for 125 is truly worth 275, and are refusing to budge.

i think this whole state is about to crash, but im kinda a real estate pessimist..

Old 03-08-2007, 05:38 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
California is a big state. I'm not sure it's on the road to ruin just yet. Has the quality of life gone down for the rapidly shrinking middle class, though? Yes, of course. The housing prices far outstrip the median income; it's beyond a joke out here. There are still nice areas in the state, but they're far from metroplitan centers (and subsequently, jobs). Unless you're making over $100K a year in L.A., don't expect to be able to live very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.