U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM

1,429 posts, read 5,140,284 times
Default Does Organized Crime Still Exist in the U.S.?

Just out of curiosity, are there still reports of organized crime occuring in the U.S.? Does this type of crime still exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,945,152 times
Yes, deffinately. In almost every major area too. My wife is originally from Italy, and I have heard many stories about the Italian Mob in the New Orleans area......

Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 4,012,943 times
There's a New England based mafia. It depends what you call organized crime as it's ever-evolving. Inner city street gangs are organized in one way or another with their rituals and camaraderie. They have a structure and hieararchy.

It's possible law enforcement and politicians have a need to portray them as organized than they are whereas in reality many of the members put individual interests ahead of the organization. They do pose a danger. I just question if they are highly organized with a central command structure.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM

202 posts, read 469,764 times
The Chicago Syndicate

This blog mostly posts about things organized crime related to Chicago, however, it also posts occurrences from all over the country.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 PM

4,994 posts, read 10,468,240 times
Latino organized crime is increasing in the southern US. They're highly organized in bringing in drugs and prostitutes. Most of the prostitutes are to serve Latino clientele.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,241,257 times
There's so many hustlers in the area of the south Bronx I teach in. My coworker recently got her car broken into and got nearly $500 of stuff stolen from her car. They're going to sell those things for nearly half the price, make a decent profit off it, and probably spend it towards bad things.

The mafia is more or less done with in NYC. They've mostly moved out to the suburbs. It was rumored that a lot of students' families in the school I went to were involved in it.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 PM

8,377 posts, read 19,892,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There's so many hustlers in the area of the south Bronx I teach in. My coworker recently got her car broken into and got nearly $500 of stuff stolen from her car. They're going to sell those things for nearly half the price, make a decent profit off it, and probably spend it towards bad things.
That usually isn't the mob out burglarizing cars. That's typically a neighborhood drug addict "hustling" for their addiction or a teenager looking for fun or machismo. Car burglars very seldom operate in organized rings and are common in even the most serene of suburbs and small towns.

But yes, organized crime does certainly still exist, especially in the form of streetgangs. Red Mafia is still plenty active as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,241,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That usually isn't the mob out burglarizing cars. That's typically a neighborhood drug addict "hustling" for their addiction or a teenager looking for fun or machismo. Car burglars very seldom operate in organized rings and are common in even the most serene of suburbs and small towns.

But yes, organized crime does certainly still exist, especially in the form of streetgangs. Red Mafia is still plenty active as well.

lol I know the mafia doesn't break into cars. Those are usually crypts and bloods who rob people. Those are the top two gangs in the area I work in. Easy to identify them. I've been in the area for a while and I know who does what. It's a sad thing that I happen to know this lol

Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 PM

1,578 posts, read 3,623,024 times
Yess, i see them in some towns around me (Lodi, NJ). There not as active as they used to be like back in the day.

They have a lot of active UNorganized gangs... Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings.. They'll whack you not for business reasons.. but for wearing the wrong colors in the wrong town.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:37 PM

48,883 posts, read 45,073,226 times
yes but far more growth in small unrelated cells much like mexico. random development without much organization or direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.