Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times

Advertisements

Ben around,

please provide proof of that,I am from the south and have homes and farms in several states(small towns and suburban areas) I dont see where the place is filled with crime.

Madison County Mississippi?
Franklin Tenn
Cleburne Texas
Oxford Mississippi
Monroe LA
Beafort SC
Pineville SC

where are these places riddled with crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 01:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,630 times
-Charlottesville Virginia is nice as is the Shenandoah Valley.

Avoid Richmond, Norfolk, Atlanta, Nashville..

Not that these arent nice place. They are very nice.But not ideal for young children.

Except 'burbs

Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 PM

199 posts, read 1,132,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthorBust View Post
P.S. Schools don't matter due to our going to homeschool. However, recreation and other opportunities for children due matter. I am also pregnant and will be delivering in early October.
If you plan to homeschool, you may want to consider the homeschooling laws in the states as well. Each state is different and some make you jump through a lot of hoops. I am a relaxed homeschooler and prefer no or low regulation states. If you go to www.hslda.org, there is information on each state's laws.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:55 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
the Red States tend to be pretty relaxed with Homeschooling laws, Texas and SC are great

try the christian based homeschooling programs like ABEKA, my sisters and I did that in Texas and on the mission field in central america

Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,525 times
My first thought since your husband can do carpentry is to move to the High Point, NC, area. It is the furniture building capital of the US. They have very nice homes that are quite affordable. Check it out.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:07 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I've heard good things about Huntsville, Alabama too. Well-educated population and strong economy.

I just did a quick search on this site, sounds affordable and safe.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:28 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
For cities in Northwest Georgia, consider Dalton, Calhoun, Cartersville, or Rome. We lived in Rome for a while and the city was nice. I don't know how bad the crime was, especially in the lower income areas, but it's relatively close to Atlanta and Birmingham is about 2 hours away.
I agree with this one! Lots of smaller north GA towns, lots of carpet mills, etc. but I do not know what the job prospects are. You would also be fairly close to Chattanooga, TN. Check out areas along I-75 between Chatt. and Atlanta. And search for local newspapers so you can get an idea of what the towns are like.

There's a national park in NW GA (Cloudland Canyon) that's beautiful and would give you lots of places to hike, a playground, great views. And there are other really nice state parks all over north GA -- with waterfalls, camping, trails. The whole area is very pretty.

You asked about Florida: Right now construction has slowed significantly in central Florida. The cost of living in central and south FL has risen a lot in the past 3-4 years. I have heard that prices are still reasonable in Jacksonville as well as areas in the Panhandle. BTW, the center part of the state is less likely to be hit as hard by a hurricane, but Orlando was hit by Charley in '04 with a bang! (No coastal state is totally protected - even some inland states get damaging winds and rain from the "depression" that's left over from a hurricane.)

Homeschooling is done a lot in Florida, particularly Christian based. I think someone already has mention aBecka which seems to be what most use.

Best Wishes!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:32 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Ben around,

please provide proof of that,I am from the south and have homes and farms in several states(small towns and suburban areas) I dont see where the place is filled with crime.

Madison County Mississippi?
Franklin Tenn
Cleburne Texas
Oxford Mississippi
Monroe LA
Beafort SC
Pineville SC

where are these places riddled with crime?
I never said they were riddled with crime. I said compared to small town WI, you won't find a small town in the South that is equally low crime.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:49 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
A good area to look into would be Hickory, NC. It seems to have what you're looking for; safe, nice weather, beautiful area, friendly people, affordable, not too big or too small. It's in a great location on I-40; an hour NW of Charlotte, an hour east of Asheville, and an hour west of Winston Salem. Also, we homeschool and NC is a very HS-friendly state.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:56 PM

469 posts, read 2,735,933 times
There is nowhere in Florida safe from hurricanes. The entire state is liable to get run roughshod over every couple of years (I lived in Sarasota briefly). If you're worried about hurricanes, stay away from Florida and coastal areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.