U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 04:06 PM

403 posts, read 1,435,484 times

Advertisements

Tallahassee and Lake City, Florida
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,155,991 times
Men should treat women as queens, and support them as well, in all ways here, and thankfully mine does or I never would of gotten married! I , in turn cook healthy gourmet meals and keep a beautiful clean home in return!!! WE both feel since we put the other one first, we got a marriage made in heaven! And we do!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 PM

414 posts, read 2,417,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
Men should treat women as queens, and support them as well, in all ways here, and thankfully mine does or I never would of gotten married! I , in turn cook healthy gourmet meals and keep a beautiful clean home in return!!! WE both feel since we put the other one first, we got a marriage made in heaven! And we do!
Sounds great. I also like women who treat me like a king. Its mutual

Old 04-27-2007, 08:52 PM

33 posts, read 94,321 times
Default move to eystone heights florida

keystone heights florida is a great lil town between jacksonville and gainesville florida homes of the jacksonville jaguars and florida gators. keystone used to be a retirement town only has 2 redlights. the only thing is you usually have to work in jacksonville or gainesville area. but if you want a basicly 0 crime rate then move there. but there is the same crime almost everywhere you go but you usually dont find out about it till after you done moved in.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthorBust View Post
Hi. I currently live in a 12,000 population town in Wisconsin. There is virtually no minority population. The winters are frigid and no sun to speak of for the past 5 months. We desperately want to move, but have very little money. We would like to move south, but do not have to be right in the south. My husband can do sales or carpentry or manufacturing factory work. We are most likely going to live in a low-income housing or low rent area. I don't want to put my children, ages 0,1, and 3 in harms way, but we really want to move to a better climate. The more I look into cities in the south, the more I am concerned about the crime rate and high cost of living compared to wages. I just heard that Mississippi has a tax on groceries. I thought I found a place in Overland Park, KS but then it sounds like it might be a little too wealthy and I don't want to not fit in at all. We looked in Phoenix, AZ as I have relatives there, but the crime rate and summers are too much. I would really like to have opportunities for my children and be close to the outdoors. Oh, and I looked into California too, but that is a joke for affordability. Nice weather, though.

PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. HOW FAR SOUTH CAN YOU GO AND STILL HAVE LOW CRIME RATES WITH LOW COST OF LIVING AND NICE WEATHER YEAR-ROUND?
Crossville, TN. I an looking to move there myself from Ringgold, Ga. which is also a good place.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 AM

348 posts, read 931,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
For cities in Northwest Georgia, consider Dalton, Calhoun, Cartersville, or Rome. We lived in Rome for a while and the city was nice. I don't know how bad the crime was, especially in the lower income areas, but it's relatively close to Atlanta and Birmingham is about 2 hours away.
Yikes, I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Dalton. It's over run with illegals.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 AM

483 posts, read 1,910,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
Yikes, I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Dalton. It's over run with illegals.
Including their own home-grown 'illegals', who have been there for generations.
Corruption is the main industry, besides carpet and drugs.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 AM

40,168 posts, read 24,404,342 times
Gentry, Arkansas. Small town, inexpensive, located in one of the fastest-growing counties in the US. Low crime rates, home-schooling not a problem. Much more temperate than Wisconsin, and centrally located with easy access to a new airport. Carpentry jobs should be easy to find, if not, there are several factory-type workplaces nearby. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 14,533 times
You ask about the South... My husband and I are considering leaving the South and going to Wisconsin! We homeschool, too, but he can only work in the city and most cities are not conducive to raising a large family...

I can tell you where absolutely not to go: Gainesville and the rest of Florida below. The trend in central and south Florida is more expensive, more liberal, higher crime; the kind of thing you see in most of your cities that are on the water. One is constantly bombarded on the interstate and any major highway with billboards advertising anything x-rated. When I lived in the older money towns of Charleston and Macon, that kind of thing was seen much less and it was ghettoized.

Someone mentioned Lake City, FL. This is where my in-laws have lived for many generations. It is about 30-40 minutes north of Gainesville and is where the Bible Belt begins. It is right next to a dry county, Live Oak. Occidental is the major employer for blue-collar workers and my father-in-law is one of them. There is lots of BEAUTIFUL cheap land between Lake City and the Occidental Plant. Crime is extremely low there, too. This area is known as, "Deep Creek".

Old 10-18-2007, 06:15 PM

7 posts, read 14,533 times
Oops, the dry county is Suwanee; Live Oak is its major town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or