U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 PM

269 posts, read 991,941 times

Advertisements

You have to check out Sugar Land, Texas! We moved here a few years ago and have never looked back on it as a negative decision. Most of the schools are top ranked. If you don't like the public, there are many private. Houston has a direct bus system with our city, so you can even take advantage of their high performing schools. The city is VERY clean and well kept. There are tons of parks and lots of green space to go around. A crime rate that is far less than the national average. My kids keep telling me that they want their kids to do. Literally everything that you could ever want for your kids to be a part of. An excellent town with an excellent future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthorBust View Post
I stand corrected about crime in the south. I had read an article that had led me to believe it was more of a problem due to the nice weather and large influx of people. I just saw a list of the top 10 crime cities in the U.S. and it was balanced between the north and the south. I apologize for making assumptions.

I do still need to find a place to move to. If I haven't offended you too much, please do help me find a spot. Thanks in advance.

Does any one have any thoughts on Florida and where might be a good spot to not be hit by a hurricane? I would love to live there. I also looked into Georgia today. Does anyone know anything about Savanah? I would actually like to go south enough not to have winter. But, still not quite complete south, as I would like to avoid the 110 degree summers.

Please note my username, I WANT TO GO SOUTH AND MEAN NO DISRESPECT.
We have friends in Birmingham, AL and Atlanta, GA. I don't know if these would work due to our lack of money, and we would have to live in a neighborhood that was low-income. I am sure these are nice cities, but as you said no matter where the city is there is crime.

Does anyone have specific names of towns in NW Georgia, N. Carolina, or on I-40 or I-85? Unfortunately my husband does not want to due carpentry any more. He is however open to factory work. Does anyone know how you go about getting a job at one of the automobile factories or furniture factories? What do they pay? I tried to find a way to apply on the web, but it was all engineer and very skilled labor at the factories. Does anyone know where you go to apply for these?
Nissan has a factory in Smyrna , TN which is right outside Nashville. It is affordable. There is also nearby Murfreesboro, TN.
I was surprised to see how diverse Tn was. I am here a little over a year.
Maybe, you should check areas surrounding Nashville. Avoid Memphis, to much crime.

Diane

Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
The thing I would like to point out is that I noticed St. Louis being mentioned as a Southern city. THat is a good one. St. Louis is about as Southern as Milwaukee except for its climate, which is hardly what I'd call southern. I also noticed Kansas and Missouri being mentioned as Southern states. I'd say these states have about as much Southern culture as Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Some, but not much. Also, crime in the south is spread more throughout the metropolitan areas. In the Midwest, it is generally contained to certain parts of the city. Whoever mentioned St. Louis being truly dangerous needs to check its metropolitan area. It's one of the safest metros in the nation.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:14 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,561,129 times
I don't know alot about this but in route from Gulf Port Mississippi to Fla we passed through some Leasehold communities along the Alabama Coast line that were very clean and had low crime rates. We saw signs for homes starting in the low 90's only blocks from the beach.....maybe someone on here could give you more info.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,650 times
... Warner Robins, GA would be a good choice!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 AM

30 posts, read 144,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Crime in the south is no different than crime in the north.
And the crickets churp........ I have to disagree with that........

From 2002
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web/offreported/figures/fig24_prelim.gif (broken link)

Speed it up to 2007
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/images/content_images/07regcrimeratefig.gif (broken link)

Murder Rate Declines in Every Region Except the South, Where Executions Are Most Prevalent | Death Penalty Information Center

Old 07-12-2009, 10:48 AM

30 posts, read 144,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthorBust View Post
Hi. I currently live in a 12,000 population town in Wisconsin. There is virtually no minority population. The winters are frigid and no sun to speak of for the past 5 months. We desperately want to move, but have very little money. We would like to move south, but do not have to be right in the south. My husband can do sales or carpentry or manufacturing factory work. We are most likely going to live in a low-income housing or low rent area. I don't want to put my children, ages 0,1, and 3 in harms way, but we really want to move to a better climate. The more I look into cities in the south, the more I am concerned about the crime rate and high cost of living compared to wages. I just heard that Mississippi has a tax on groceries. I thought I found a place in Overland Park, KS but then it sounds like it might be a little too wealthy and I don't want to not fit in at all. We looked in Phoenix, AZ as I have relatives there, but the crime rate and summers are too much. I would really like to have opportunities for my children and be close to the outdoors. Oh, and I looked into California too, but that is a joke for affordability. Nice weather, though.

PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. HOW FAR SOUTH CAN YOU GO AND STILL HAVE LOW CRIME RATES WITH LOW COST OF LIVING AND NICE WEATHER YEAR-ROUND?
My picks would be Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and Kentucky.

Virginia has sort of become a big place for business so there is allot to pick from there. However, the cost of living is quite high in Northern Virginia but there is a whole lot more to pick from. Also the crime in VA has dropped every year since 2000.

The eastern panhandle of West Virginia is cheaper and is sort of in a weird spot you could easily find a job in like DC, Baltimore, or Northern Virginia. But you can still live happily there with a lower cost of living, and there is more jobs in the area's that surround it. Also West Virginia has one of the lowest crime rates in the US of A.

Tennessee is a good state to be at also. Just not in Memphis. Stay as far away from Memphis as you can.

I have mixed feelings towards Jaw-Ja......So I cant give you a yes or no

Worst Picks ..........

Alabama
Arkansas
Mississippi
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or