U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,401,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Honey I've lived in California and for several years at that. SoCal is nothing but suburbs, and NorCal has perhaps two actual downtown areas and is surrounded by nothing but endless suburbia.

Except for office parks. Lots and lots of office parks.
That's nice, still doesn't mean what you speak of CA is true. I've lived here my whole life, grew up in Northern CA and have been in Southern CA for over 7.5 years and have seen pretty much every corner of the state.

There are many, many small towns and older suburbs with nice, vibrant downtown's, including the suburb I grew up in, Walnut Creek. Lots of towns and suburbs here have defined main st type downtown's so I can't take someone that says "NorCal has perhaps two actual downtown areas and is surrounded by nothing but endless suburbia" remotely serious. Northern Ca has some really nice, small quaint towns all over the place.

SoCal may not have the density of SF or NYC but its definitely more than just "all suburbs", many places here are urban but just not as intense as older, east coast cities.

But I guess I really shouldn't be surprised by your "assessment" considering the negative tone and bitterness of some past posts. Maybe you just don't realize that just b/c some place isn't as dense as NYC or downtown Chicago doesn't mean it's "suburban".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,649,938 times
People in the Midwest are no less intelligent than Californians. To think so is just ignorant.

Midwestern people may not sit around and talk about eco-friendly laundry baskets while sipping lattes. Instead they may be talking about their son's baseball game the night before or something funny their dog dig this morning.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM

3,073 posts, read 5,447,005 times
I'm from the midwest and I can barely read. To be entirely honest, I can't even figure out what this thread is about. That one guy from California used a bunch of words that I've never even seen before.

On a brighter note, though, we finally have the internet in my town. Hopefully it'll give me a chance to get caught up to the "intellectual" Californians. (I'm just guessing about the meaning of "intellectual" based on context clues.)

Old 01-12-2009, 04:54 PM

154 posts, read 832,087 times
You guys are all cracking me up. I've lived in Iowa before, but I'm a NorCal native. I never noticed any difference in "intellectual" conversation between the Midwest and NorCal. The subject matter might be different, but people talk about things that interest them or things going on in their daily life. So of course the subjects are probably going to be different. Just because the people in CA are discussing eco friendly laundry baskets, doesn't mean they are smarter than two farmers talking about farming in Iowa. I wish people wouldn't be so snooty to really think that way. I know some do though. And it's sad, not everyone in CA is like that! I'm not!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM

351 posts, read 541,006 times
People are more reserved, politics are more local, and relationships take a little more time to forge (but they end up a lot stronger, too). But I would suggest being yourselves, embracing the differences, and not getting too upset when the people around you are a little more conservative or it's harder to get to know them.

Just like anywhere, you have to go about finding the sort of people you most want to be around. It might be a little harder in some places than others--but people are, at the end of the day, just people.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,584,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I'm from the midwest and I can barely read. To be entirely honest, I can't even figure out what this thread is about. That one guy from California used a bunch of words that I've never even seen before.

On a brighter note, though, we finally have the internet in my town. Hopefully it'll give me a chance to get caught up to the "intellectual" Californians. (I'm just guessing about the meaning of "intellectual" based on context clues.)
LMAO! Rep points to you!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Can I ask where you're moving? I'm from Iowa City, Iowa. It was a GREAT place to grow up. Very open minded and liberal, growing fast, clean. It's where the U of Iowa is located.

I tended to prefer eastern Iowa to western Iowa, but I was probably just biased. Interestingly, even the rural areas of eastern Iowa tend to be quite democratic and liberal. Almost every county in eastern Iowa voted for Obama by sometimes very healthy margins. Many of these counties only have 6,000-15,000 people living in small towns, most of them vastly white. That goes against what most people would imagine small town America voting for.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM

2,642 posts, read 4,818,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Compared to Cali, you will have a much harder time finding people to talk to about intellectual ideas.
Actually just the opposite is true since the educational system in the Midwest is much better than California. Notice how Iowa is number one in state SAT scores and the midwest dominates all the top rankings.

State Rankings SAT Scores

Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,723,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Compared to Cali, you will have a much harder time finding people to talk to about intellectual ideas.
It is a little known fact that great Midwestern universities like Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Illinois . . . are all fake! They are just a bunch of empty buildings. Their founders were ever hopeful when they went ahead and built the campuses, but it turned out to be impossible to find any students qualified for higher education in the intellectual vacuum of the Midwest. Lately, a plan has been developed to recruit students from California, but early surveys indicate that this plan may not prove fruitful. Too few Californians would be willing to separate themselves from the intellectual hub of the universe known as California, with the cornucopia of brilliant ideas generated while lounging on beaches, sunning, and surfing.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Actually just the opposite is true since the educational system in the Midwest is much better than California. Notice how Iowa is number one in state SAT scores and the midwest dominates all the top rankings.

State Rankings SAT Scores
those are SAT scores of HIGH schools students and says nothing about the quality of colleges/universities, CA has arguably one of the best public university systems in the nation but our K-12 system is not very good overall. But I am not agreeing with what "jtur88" said at all b/c its pretty ignorant imo, most people here don't think like that and that poster isn't even from Ca.

I can't believe how many posts have addressed that one off base comment by someone who doesn't even live in CA, amazing what some people will get worked up over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or