U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Southeast Iowa
154 posts, read 832,087 times
Reputation: 145

Advertisements

My family and I are moving from CA to the midwest, where my husband is from, and where his whole family is. I'm a native Northern Californian. I've lived in Iowa briefly before so I have some idea of what it's like. Some parts of it I absolutely love and some parts I didn't like at all. I know this is the best decision for our daughter, who's 2. CA is eating itself alive and I've wanted to leave for a long time. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has moved from CA or other big metropolitan area to a small midwest town, and how they were able to adapt to the new lifestyle. I do want to embrace everything the Midwest has to offer. Small town community, open space, low cost of living, friendlier people, my in-laws and a huge extended family that I haven't been able to know until now, 4 seasons, etc.. I will definitely miss CA, and some family I have here, but I want my kids to grow up somewhere safer with a slower pace of life. The quality of life seems so much better there for the middle class. Has anyone made a move like this or simlilar that could share their story? It would be much appreciated! I know I'm not alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
 
5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
Reputation: 2460
I've found the people in the Midwest to be more conformist than on the East coast. I suspect you'll also find the same.

I've never lived in Iowa though for the most part, when visiting the state I've found people to be cordial and friendly, rarely rude. Even the Iowans that have moved to adjacent states seem pretty nice when I do run into them.

Yes, the pace of life will be slower than any metro area. I come from the Hartford area of Connecticut and the pace of life in CT is much faster than out here. I think you'll also find that social and political views will be far more Conservative in rural Iowa than your current home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Town of Herndon/DC Metro
2,289 posts, read 5,584,513 times
Reputation: 1170
I think people in the Midwest are definitely friendly but more reserved than Californians (at least SoCals, don't know about NorCals). More quiet and calm about daily life and expressions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Reputation: 36087
Compared to Cali, you will have a much harder time finding people to talk to about intellectual ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Orlando
8,178 posts, read 16,543,731 times
Reputation: 49780
I grew up in the Midwest and that's the 1st place I would choose to raise a child.

Now when I state the following, I am NOT saying that's what you would do but have seen others do it with ugly results.

DO NOT come off the being intellectually superior. #1, you'd probably be wrong and #2 what they think is important to know isn't necessarily what you do.

Don't tell them how much better things are back home. They won't agree with you.

Be open and honest. Care about your neighbor. Be willing to lend a helping hand or a shoulder to cry on.

And most of all, slow down. It's a slower pace.

Good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
 
3,597 posts, read 7,703,815 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
My family and I are moving from CA to the midwest, where my husband is from, and where his whole family is. I'm a native Northern Californian. I've lived in Iowa briefly before so I have some idea of what it's like. Some parts of it I absolutely love and some parts I didn't like at all. I know this is the best decision for our daughter, who's 2. CA is eating itself alive and I've wanted to leave for a long time. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has moved from CA or other big metropolitan area to a small midwest town, and how they were able to adapt to the new lifestyle. I do want to embrace everything the Midwest has to offer. Small town community, open space, low cost of living, friendlier people, my in-laws and a huge extended family that I haven't been able to know until now, 4 seasons, etc.. I will definitely miss CA, and some family I have here, but I want my kids to grow up somewhere safer with a slower pace of life. The quality of life seems so much better there for the middle class. Has anyone made a move like this or simlilar that could share their story? It would be much appreciated! I know I'm not alone!

You're coming from northern California. The only functional difference is that Iowa is not packed with a nigh endless supply of wine and cheese shops and unrealistically priced real estate based on a superficial demand for housing.

It's the same thing otherwise. Same people, less money, more space. The only difference is that most "small towns" have a city center and a main street, whereas the entirety of NorCal is San Francisco + suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
You're coming from northern California. The only functional difference is that Iowa is not packed with a nigh endless supply of wine and cheese shops and unrealistically priced real estate based on a superficial demand for housing.

It's the same thing otherwise. Same people, less money, more space. The only difference is that most "small towns" have a city center and a main street, whereas the entirety of NorCal is San Francisco + suburbs.
Please do not speak of Northern CA b/c you obviously have no clue what you're talking about, even if you think you do. NorCal is much more than just SF and the Bay Area suburbs, actually the Bay Area is barely even in the Northern half of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Compared to Cali, you will have a much harder time finding people to talk to about intellectual ideas.
Obviously, you are stating an opinion and definitely not a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
 
3,597 posts, read 7,703,815 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Please do not speak of Northern CA b/c you obviously have no clue what you're talking about, even if you think you do. NorCal is much more than just SF and the Bay Area suburbs, actually the Bay Area is barely even in the Northern half of the state.
Honey I've lived in California and for several years at that. SoCal is nothing but suburbs, and NorCal has perhaps two actual downtown areas and is surrounded by nothing but endless suburbia.

Except for office parks. Lots and lots of office parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Southeast Iowa
154 posts, read 832,087 times
Reputation: 145
I definitely know to not waltz into Iowa and start telling everyone how I miss CA and how much better it is than the Midwest! I'm not stupid! Those people would probably burn a stake on my lawn! I know they are proud of the Midwest and do not appreciate big city people coming in and trying to "change" them. I do not want to change them. I do think the small town I'm moving to needs a better mall and better restaurants, but I will keep that opinion to myself and I'll never say it out loud! I am looking forward to the slower pace of life. I am so tired of crowds, traffic, long commute times, smog filled air, etc.. I might be a little bored at first living in a small rural town, but I plan on embracing it and spending more time with my husband and daughter. We have been so rushed living here in CA, never having time to do anything. I went to Target to get diapers the other day (it's only about 6 blocks away) and it took me over 1/2 hr to get there because of all the red lights and traffic. Ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top