U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,397,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
I agree with those who believe California best embodies what America is today.
California is a microcosim of American society and for so many years it also embodied the American Dream.
I would not argue that today's California embodies that same dream but it does best represent where we are and what we have become here in the USA.
In addition to many of the reasons listed below, I would also add that the issue of Immigration is certainly an important issue in America today and again, California is best representative of the impact and on going debate over Immigration.
I agree and should have mentioned immigration, since its a big issue today. I remember all the immigration stuff in the news over the past year or two and that whole time I was thinking this is basically what CA went through in the early 1990's. All those anti-immigrant laws local cities were passing recently reminded me of Prop 187 during the 1994 election, which attempted to prohibit illegals from receiving public services. And I believe a lot of places looked to Prop 187 to write their laws b/c it was struck down by the courts so they wanted to make sure theirs were not.

I really hope the federal govt and other states look to all the problems immigration has brought to CA and do something to prevent that from occurring elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Talk about some exaggerated and false BS stereotypes you got going there. Maybe if you put down the US Weekly you'd realize the vast majority of Californians don't care what Lindsay Lohan is doing, what new model of the ipod is selling, etc.... anymore than people in Illinois or the rest of the country. You've never even lived here yet somehow think you know what life is like and what Californians consider important, its just absolutely amazing what strong off base feelings some people have towards a state they've never lived in. Some of you guys spend a little too much time obsessing over what the media feeds to you.
Lets see... if that type of "culture" wasnt so prevalent in CA, why the Hell on earth do you have tv shows, and entire TV channels devoted to it? OC? Dr. 90210? E-Entertainment? Girls Next Door? Etc, etc, etc.... And of course not everyone in CA is like that, but there are probably more people in CA who tune into that type of lifestyle than anywhere else in the states. Dont deny it!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 PM

142 posts, read 314,043 times
Do you realize that 32% of the entire U.S. population live in the 4 states that you said are not representative of the rest of the country ? How can you make such a statement ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I agree with whoever said Ohio. You could substitute at least 20 other states that are very similar.

California, New York, Texas and Florida are all unique outliers and are not representative of the rest of the country.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 PM

15,453 posts, read 25,397,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lets see... if that type of "culture" wasnt so prevalent in CA, why the Hell on earth do you have tv shows, and entire TV channels devoted to it? OC? Dr. 90210? E-Entertainment? Girls Next Door? Etc, etc, etc.... And of course not everyone in CA is like that, but there are probably more people in CA who tune into that type of lifestyle than anywhere else in the states. Dont deny it!
Because the entertainment industry is centered in LOS ANGELES! Most shows and movies are made here b/c that is where the industry is centered. It's much cheaper to do a "reality" show in CA and especially LA than on location somewhere else. Plus they probably know suckers elsewhere just love to feed off that fake, stereotypical CA image/lifestyle that VERY FEW people actually live. That's like asking why does New York have Wall St, news organizations, and all those big banks and financial institutions. Guess everyone in NYC is like Gordon Gecko or Kerry Bradshaw since that is what that picture box thingy in the living room shows me!

And where do you think the majority of people watching those shows live?? OUTISIDE OF CA and unfortunately people across the country get some stupid impression that is what life is like here. My good friend whom I grew up with in the Bay Area and went to college with in San Diego moved to Chicago last year. She kept telling me people would ask her about CA, more specifically they'd ask what Laguna Beach was like or what "The Hills" were like and basically basing all their opinions on Ca off stupid BS "reality" TV like that and none of them had even ever stepped foot here. Places like Laguna Beach are just upper middle class/wealthy enclaves the same as anywhere else in America except it's in a nice natural setting with great weather, that is the only REAL difference.

Once again you have never lived here and are basing your opinions off what you see in the media, to do that is so incredibly close minded and ignorant imo.

Last edited by sav858; 01-12-2009 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 09:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,172,799 times
Most Midwestern states. Take South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska (some of the Upper Midwestern states) for example of what best embodies America. Respectful people, clean communities, low crime, decent lifestyle (comfortable and reaonsble but not over the top and not austere) and good work ethic.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,484,092 times
Quote:
Do you realize that 32% of the entire U.S. population live in the 4 states that you said are not representative of the rest of the country ? How can you make such a statement ?
They are all unique. They are all so huge that they have so much that the rest of the country simply does not have.... they are too unique to represent anything other than themselves.

To get a generalization of the US, you must look for a more neutral state rather than a highly unique one.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 PM

692 posts, read 2,419,607 times
I have lived in both Chicago and San Diego and believe me
with regards to traffic, CRIME, pollution, shallow yuppie scum,
and illegal immigrants its hypocritical for Chi-town to
throw stones at So-Cal. .... wow I guess they both
represent the state of U.S.A. today.

I still stand by New York as representing the spirit of the
American Dream...c'mon most of our ancestors probably
came through there.....oops mine came from Canada.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
Good point and I also left outside the 4 biggest states when I made my pick. Not sure why.

It is even more bizzare because I mentioned New Jersey and Maryland but did not consider my native New York. Okay Manhattan sort of throws it and it is more rural and wild upstate but otherwise it is similar to NJ and Maryland.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM

3,664 posts, read 8,836,042 times
I would also say California. As mentioned by other posters on this thread, California has a little of everything found all over the country. Many say that California is foreign or un-American because of immigrants, and this may sound ilke a paradox, but the fact that it has so many immigrants makes it very American since America is a melting-pot with ancestry in many different countries. Just like how many people from around the world come to America to chase the American Dream, people from all over the country and the world come to California to chase the California Dream. California is seen by the rest of country the same way as the United States is seen by the rest of the world, a mix of respect and wanting to follow the culture and trends, and occasional feelings of jealousy or inferiority or even hatred in extreme cases. Also, when people in other countries think of American culture, California is usually the first place that comes to mind.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
I have to say Texas.
It embodies all of the aspects of the society to which you refer.
Rich, poor, rural, urban, new citizen, established citizen, all races and creeds.
But most of all to me, Texas is the embodiment of the American spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or