U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times

Advertisements

California has passed the nation of Canada in population, with 36.7 million residents compared to Canada's 33.5 million.

This is slightly old news (12 months ago) but I only found one news article about it - I knew it was coming but did not know it occurred a year or more ago

California's population ahead of Canada, behind Poland at 37.8 million | The San Diego Union-Tribune

California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times
Congratulations to California. Is there now also a movement to become the newest province of Canada...or would Canada reject it on account of the population?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 PM

351 posts, read 541,006 times
California: more non-Americans than Canada.

Catchy.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,596,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Congratulations to California. Is there now also a movement to become the newest province of Canada...or would Canada reject it on account of the population?
I think you have it mixed up. The movement is for Canada to become a province of California.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM

505 posts, read 1,225,071 times
This is great for California and all, but does any other state do this? Why is there this constant need among many Californians to act as though they are a nation of their own? I understand the state is our largest in population, but still.

I find it bizarre that the article starts off talking about how the governor says California is a nation state, because it isn't a nation state. It is a part of the U.S. and always will be.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 PM

256 posts, read 660,708 times
^Because it easily COULD be a nation of its own, and would be one of the most populous, as this article points out. Not many states can say that.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM

505 posts, read 1,225,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Because it easily COULD be a nation of its own, and would be one of the most populous, as this article points out. Not many states can say that.
Every state can say it could easily be a nation of its own. Even Vermont, which has the smallest economy of U.S. states, has a GDP similar to that of Lithuania. If Lithuania can be its own nation, why can't Vermont?

And population is nothing but a number. Look at standard of living. Brazil has more people than Belgium. Which enjoys a higher standard of living?

Coincidentally, as I write this, Lou Dobbs is doing a story on the TV about people actually fleeing California due to failing state government, economic crisis, illegal immigration, and unemployment. 135,000 residents have left the state in the past year, while over 200,000 immigrants have arrived, most of whom are illiterate, giving California the highest illiteracy rate in the nation. I quote directly from the broadcast: "The wagons are moving east." In my eyes, this basically contradicts many posts on this forum about people from the east moving to California in great numbers to escape our cold climate and dirty cities.

I know that last paragraph may sound like I'm bashing, but it was just something I happened to see on CNN as I was writing this.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_by_GD P_(PPP)

Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM

Okay, theoretically any state could be its own country, but California would be one of the most prominent, well-known countries in the world if it were one (well it already is well-known, but...). Think about it. Tons of natural resources and industries based there (agriculture from the Central Valley, oil drilling off the coast, technology in Silicon Valley, entertaintment/movie industry in L.A.), beautiful coastal cities as well as increasingly big inland cities, an extremely diverse popuation (enclaves of different types of people everywhere, from gays and Asians in the Bay Area to Hispanics in So Cal), very conservative cities (parts of So Cal and the Central Valley), very liberal cities (Bay Area and parts of L.A.), tourist attractions (Disneyland, Hollywood, San Francisco itself) and natural wonders, frigid mountains (Sierra Nevada), scorching deserts (Death Valley), beautiful beaches, quaint rural towns, I could go on forever.

I don't live in California and rarely go there, but let's face it, California just has everything going for it.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,564,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post

I don't live in California and rarely go there, but let's face it, California just has everything going for it.
Except for illegal aliens.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:19 PM

lol yeah, that's true. I don't really mind that, though, personally. They have a lot of illegal aliens in all the border states, so...

Edit:
Not to mention the beautiful Redwood forests, though, which I forgot in my previous post.

Last edited by Sandy Springs Rep.; 01-13-2009 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or