U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Then we can ban guns and kill babies once again, and live in a complete efficient society.
Is that supposed to be funny? I aint laughin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 AM

526 posts, read 933,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
In most areas, yes. But there are still areas of Chicagoland that Id consider somewhat "rust-belt", even though theyre surrounded by vibrant communities. And to be honest, youd be surprised to know how many people think Chicagoland is some desolate, deserted place, since its situated somewhat closely to Detroit.
who would have thought a city of almost 3 million, cook county with 5 million alone, 9 million in the region, hmmm that crosses my mind rite away *sarcastic* lol

Last edited by justalicious6989; 02-04-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,048,295 times
Living in the Rust Belt is like having a job as a trash collector: someone has to do it.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Living in the Rust Belt is like having a job as a trash collector: someone has to do it.
No they don't. They'd just leave if they wanted to that bad. You can't say that millions of people are living there because they HAVE to.

Most of the Midwest's population do NOT live in a depressed Rust Belt area. People in those cities could move to countless places if they wanted to. Just because an area isn't growing doesn't mean it can't offer a perfectly happy life and a very nice standard of living.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:53 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,569,145 times
^Very true. I live in the Youngstown metro. Sure we have our problems, but i choose to stay here. I actually like it. I have the money to leave as well as the skills and education, i just prefer to stay.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 PM

30,189 posts, read 67,332,997 times
Scranton's population has been declining for many decades. It has a very good quality-of-life, in my opinion, and I'm an individual of discerning taste. That sort of dichotomy pretty much blows the theory out of the water that people are leaving the Northeast because it offers sub-standard living conditions.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Go pahk ya cah up ya arse ya friggin chowda eata.

Kiss my Midwestern arse long and hard. Pucker up, Buttercup.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
No they don't. They'd just leave if they wanted to that bad. You can't say that millions of people are living there because they HAVE to.

Most of the Midwest's population do NOT live in a depressed Rust Belt area. People in those cities could move to countless places if they wanted to. Just because an area isn't growing doesn't mean it can't offer a perfectly happy life and a very nice standard of living.
Ignore him. That guy pops boners, oddly enough, when he thinks of the sunbelt, disses the Midwest, and lives in a city in MA that would only dream of being as dynamic as Chicago. All he does is start crap and talk it. Time to dish it back.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,204 times
The Rustbelt is bleeding people, and the Sunbelt is welcome to take them. We can always chip off the rust. It leaves the rest of the picture smaller, wealthier and better formed

Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Metro Detroit hasn't crashed yet. When the auto industry finally kicks the can, then we can talk about hitting bottom and buying distressed properties. Right now it's something of a zombie economy and zombie real estate market
"Metro Detroit" is an interesting term. To the immediate east of Detroit are the "Pointes": Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Woods, Grosse Pointe Farms, et cetera. This area is home to exceptionally wealthy people who consider boating to be about as common as a bicycle ride.

To the north is Royal Oak, an extremely wealthy and highly affluent area. It's the Ann Arbor Over 40 crowd.

Beyond Royal Oak is Bloomfield Hills, which is an outrageously wealthy city. Downtown Birmingham is a nifty little place, and the suburbs, again... the concentration of money is jaw-dropping.

West of Detroit is Dearborn, which is poor on one side and upper middle class on the other.

Then there's Grand Rapids on the other side of the state, which is like a Mormon Whoville. It is, however, stable.

The point here being, Detroit is poor but Michigan itself has very unique cities immediately outside Detroit that hold vast collections of wealthy people. And, get this, none of them work for the auto industry

This is my Coldwine Is Proud She Knows Something About Someplace In The Midwest Outside Of Chicago moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.