U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM

414 posts, read 640,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Pennsylvania was clear-cut by the logging industry, strip-mined by the coal companies (in the west, and the eastern mines were no model of environmentalism either), the air was polluted by the steel companies. Pittsburgh wasn't called "Hell with the Lid Off" for no good reason. There is a nuclear power plant on the south shore of Lake Michigan near Chicago.
Nothing wrong with this point, but I'm amused that you talk about PA and Pittsburgh specifically and then talk about nuclear plants somewhere else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 AM

20,868 posts, read 36,017,910 times
I counted a total of eleven metropolitan and micropolitan areas in MI with unemployment rates above 10% in the month of December. That is pretty scary.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 AM

414 posts, read 640,134 times
Random points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Most of the housing stock made 100 years ago was of high quality. Most of the stock today is crap comparatively. It's all about saving/making money today--there is little craftsmanship.
Most of the surviving housing stock made 100 years ago was of high quality. That's why it survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Both Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania are a political mess. People always vote down party lines regardless of who's running. One person on this forum said it perfectly: the Democrat party can run Timothy McVeigh against the Pope and the Democrats will still pull out the victory.
But only because of anti-Catholicism among devout American Protestants.

Sadly, it's a real phenomenon.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:12 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,918,613 times
The suburbs of the Rust Belt cities are thriving, and many Rust Belt cities have converted from manufacturing centers to major business centers. St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh have all done this. St. Louis and Chicago, however seem to have done it better than Detroit and Cleveland.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,064,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Go pahk ya cah up ya arse ya friggin chowda eata.

Kiss my Midwestern arse long and hard. Pucker up, Buttercup.
I guess that accent was an attempt at humor.

Nice try, but I won't be in Massachusetts for much longer. I might put down the Rust Belt but I don't like where I live either.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,064,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ignore him. That guy pops boners, oddly enough, when he thinks of the sunbelt, disses the Midwest, and lives in a city in MA that would only dream of being as dynamic as Chicago. All he does is start crap and talk it. Time to dish it back.
Like I said, I don't like Massachusetts either. I never said Boston is more dynamic than Chicago.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:14 PM

542 posts, read 1,290,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The Rustbelt is bleeding people, and the Sunbelt is welcome to take them. We can always chip off the rust. It leaves the rest of the picture smaller, wealthier and better formed
Translation : We're still butthurt.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,026,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
if the rust belt has been hurting badly for so long, then how come there are still so many people left there?

the economy of the rust belt cant be that bad if there are still that many people left

What is the economy of the rust belt now anyways?

Rustbelt?

The entire US is a rustbelt.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:05 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,714,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Translation : We're still butthurt.
Nah. It's natural progression, and I don't think many people care.

Just stay down there.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:41 PM

21,561 posts, read 19,363,879 times
I just read that Pittsburgh's problems also have to do with people there, who seem to be a bit unpleasant according to that poster.
Revenge of the Rust Belt - Economix Blog - NYTimes.com
If the poster says the truth, is that a general trait of people in the Rust Belt or is it limited to Pittsburgh, for whatever reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.