U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 AM

13,230 posts, read 18,053,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
"Pittsburgh could be a nice place to live, but its local culture is so intensely hostile to the young, the single, the highly educated, and newcomers, that it is likely to remain in a state of social, cultural, and population decline."
Right on. So hostile to young people that it's the only major U.S. metro in which the median age is expected to decrease in the next 20 years. So hostile to the highly-educated that the city proper has the ninth-highest percentage of college-educated residents of any U.S. city, and the fourth-highest percentage of residents with advanced degrees. (That's 'cuz all the smart people leave, ya know.)

For proof of Pittsburgh's social decline, look no further than its crime rate, which is among the lowest of all U.S. metros with 1,000,000+ population, and for proof of Pittsburgh's cultural decline, look no further than the G20 Summit last fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,867,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Right on. So hostile to young people that it's the only major U.S. metro in which the median age is expected to decrease in the next 20 years. So hostile to the highly-educated that the city proper has the ninth-highest percentage of college-educated residents of any U.S. city, and the fourth-highest percentage of residents with advanced degrees. (That's 'cuz all the smart people leave, ya know.)

For proof of Pittsburgh's social decline, look no further than its crime rate, which is among the lowest of all U.S. metros with 1,000,000+ population, and for proof of Pittsburgh's cultural decline, look no further than the G20 Summit last fall.
I agree Pittsburgh has a lot more going for it than he thinks.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:42 PM

7,662 posts, read 9,512,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I agree Pittsburgh has a lot more going for it than he thinks.
Pittsburgh is already coming back; its focus is now on education and healthcare; I personally know 3 physicians who have left Boston for Pittsburgh is the past decade, with its low cost-of-living being a major attraction..

And I'm also starting to hear of some good news for GM in Detroit, and Chicagoland is still growing; the Rust Belt is far from dead..

Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM

57,100 posts, read 81,526,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Pittsburgh is already coming back; its focus is now on education and healthcare; I personally know 3 physicians who have left Boston for Pittsburgh is the past decade, with its low cost-of-living being a major attraction..

And I'm also starting to hear of some good news for GM in Detroit, and Chicagoland is still growing; the Rust Belt is far from dead..
I found this too: Syracuse, Ithaca among few leaders in adding construction jobs

Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 PM

822 posts, read 1,261,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Pittsburgh itself is coming back. The city has really transformed itself since steel mill/coal mine bust. I get giddy everytime I drive through the tunnel and see the magnificent skyline. Sometimes I wish Pittsburgh would grew really fast so we can get new residents, but I don't like seeing what happened to some Sunbelt cities with uncontrolled growth and overcrowded schools.

However, some of the surrounding mill towns are still stuck in the past and quite poor. You can even drive 30 minutes from the city and see Appalachian poverty and stereotypes which are worse than the well-known Appalachian areas.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:40 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,465,796 times
Get this guys, in Detroit, especially in the suburbs, everyone isn't a black criminal... I know that's news to a lot of posters on CD, but it's true.

On that note, I can't wait to return to the Berkley/Royal Oak/Ferndale area of MI.

AMAZING small town feel with all the big city amenities, fairly walkable too! It's nice to go down a street lined with classic 2 story homes with yards, each one unique, with a different family with a different story in each. I think it embodies all of what it means to be "American" in that no matter how tough times are, we're all in this together.

I love Michigan, and want to live there someday. I want to go to my kids' hockey games and have my unique home in a neighborhood full of unique homes and be able to walk to the 7/11 down the street. I want to have four seasons. I want my conservative AND liberal politics. I want my friendly, middle class blue and white collar neighbors. I want a cheap cost of living and a lot of bang for my buck. I want the soul that's found in Detroit area clubs' music. I want the vibrant options of different middle eastern and south asian food found in Dearborn. I want the world class universities in Ann Arbor and Lansing. I want the Detroit riverwalk and Ambassador bridge. I want all of the heart, no matter how pretty it is at this moment. I hope it'll come back in full force someday, but until then, the treasure of Detroit is mine I love the city, I love the people.

I don't need your silly snow capped mountains, I've got something prettier. I don't need your white sand beaches, I've got something more relaxing. I don't need a $500,000 condo next to a bunch of dance clubs and upscale restaurants...

I just need to be home. I need to be in a place where I belong, where I am happy. A place where I can leave my mark and feel comfortable with that. I want a good place for my family to begin, and a good place for it to continue. I want a place with values, soul, and most importantly... I want a home... Detroit and its suburbs throw those things at me in all the right amounts.

The land of Sleeping Bear Dunes, cherries, Mackinac everything, Cadillac, "Up North", doorwalls, unique carbonated beverages, and really fast drivers...

Ah... How I miss you.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,465,796 times
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs412.snc3/24900_10150141506730246_652345245_11666146_7913452 _n.jpg (broken link)

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs432.snc3/24900_10150141512265246_652345245_11666384_1829256 _n.jpg (broken link)
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs432.snc3/24900_10150141512270246_652345245_11666385_4157635 _n.jpg (broken link)
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs412.snc3/24900_10150141513420246_652345245_11666405_3476650 _n.jpg (broken link)
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs432.snc3/24900_10150141513440246_652345245_11666406_2518299 _n.jpg (broken link)

Some pics of "home"

Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,867,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post

Some pics of "home"
Detroit is a very beautiful city.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 PM

7,173 posts, read 9,967,851 times
UK, I think your the first person who has tried to help Detroit's image here on City Data. Unfortunately you have your work cut out for you! But I seen how New York and now increasingly Philadelphia came back, so keep hope alive!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 PM

11,200 posts, read 22,470,063 times
I keep getting this sense that people from outside the Midwest or Northeast think the RUST BELT is this huge region that's all depressed/declining manufacturing.

There are areas that totally fit that description, but it's hardly that midwest = rust belt. There are towns like that in the Midwest, but of the total population of 64 million or whatever, the people actually living in "rust belt" areas are definitely a minority.

There are places like areas of Detroit, Cleveland, Youngstown, etc. that are poster children of Rust Belt, but most people in the Midwest aren't associated with manufacturing, and many live in the suburbs of Chicago, or Columbus, or Springfield, or Madison, Des Moines, Omaha, Minneapolis, small towns in Michigan, Kansas City, Indianapolis, resort towns in Wisconsin, Iowa City, etc, etc.

Rust belt areas are more notorious for what they stand for, but that would be like saying everyone who lives in San Francisco is gay, everyone in LA has blond hair and surfs 24 hours a day, everyone in New York is an investment banker, people in the DC metro all work for the federal government, and metro Miami is only made up of Cubans. You're missing the majority, and only focusing on the stereotype.

Rust Belt is a small and diminishing subset of the greater region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.