U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,464,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
UK, I think your the first person who has tried to help Detroit's image here on City Data. Unfortunately you have your work cut out for you! But I seen how New York and now increasingly Philadelphia came back, so keep hope alive!
Nah, there's 3 or 4 of us :P

But I know Detroit can make it. I've spent time working with the poor there, and met people from all over the burbs to Gratiot to Woodward to Michigan Ave., all the way to the Rencen and the Grosse Pts.

The soul found in Detroit will save itself. Hard work and love are a part of the city's culture!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 PM

6,990 posts, read 12,545,111 times
Because it is home to them probably for generations.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,696,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I keep getting this sense that people from outside the Midwest or Northeast think the RUST BELT is this huge region that's all depressed/declining manufacturing.

There are areas that totally fit that description, but it's hardly that midwest = rust belt. There are towns like that in the Midwest, but of the total population of 64 million or whatever, the people actually living in "rust belt" areas are definitely a minority.

There are places like areas of Detroit, Cleveland, Youngstown, etc. that are poster children of Rust Belt, but most people in the Midwest aren't associated with manufacturing, and many live in the suburbs of Chicago, or Columbus, or Springfield, or Madison, Des Moines, Omaha, Minneapolis, small towns in Michigan, Kansas City, Indianapolis, resort towns in Wisconsin, Iowa City, etc, etc.

Rust belt areas are more notorious for what they stand for, but that would be like saying everyone who lives in San Francisco is gay, everyone in LA has blond hair and surfs 24 hours a day, everyone in New York is an investment banker, people in the DC metro all work for the federal government, and metro Miami is only made up of Cubans. You're missing the majority, and only focusing on the stereotype.

Rust Belt is a small and diminishing subset of the greater region.
Cleveland isn't poster child rust belt anymore. If Cleveland is, then you should add St. Louis and Milwaukee to that list.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,861,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Nah, there's 3 or 4 of us :P

But I know Detroit can make it. I've spent time working with the poor there, and met people from all over the burbs to Gratiot to Woodward to Michigan Ave., all the way to the Rencen and the Grosse Pts.

The soul found in Detroit will save itself. Hard work and love are a part of the city's culture!
I believe Detroit can do it!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 PM

13,230 posts, read 18,044,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Cleveland isn't poster child rust belt anymore. If Cleveland is, then you should add St. Louis and Milwaukee to that list.
The problem with Cleveland is that much of the manufacturing in the area was still heavily reliant on the auto industry, and they now need to find new jobs to compensate for the old jobs that were lost.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,696,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The problem with Cleveland is that much of the manufacturing in the area was still heavily reliant on the auto industry, and they now need to find new jobs to compensate for the old jobs that were lost.
No. My point is, Cleveland has re-invented itself with medical facilities such as the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. Just look a University Circle, construction cranes dot their growing "skyline" if you will. Cleveland is doing just fine is showing the nation what it can do. I mention Milwaukee and St. Louis because they are similar cities that have those unique characteristics that get thrown under rug and aren't shown a lot. What I really find interesting in Cleveland's case is just how much Case Western has helped fuel bio start up companies in the region.

You want to talk about the auto industry and lost jobs, look at Detroit. They are the Pittsburgh of the 1980s. Dependant on one industry, and it really hurts your city.

Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Cleveland all have unemployment rates below the national average. Misunderstood images of the Rust Belt.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,464,482 times
I actually just put in my resume earlier today for some Detroit area jobs!

SO EXCITED!

I may be coming home.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 PM

6,567 posts, read 7,520,358 times
I hate the term rust belt. It paints whole states in a negative light, even though its small isolated pockets that fit the stereotype. My state of Michigan has Detroit hung around its neck like a constant force pulling the whole state down. Most of Michigan looks absolutely nothing like the rust belt stereotype. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin often face the same problem. Just because Indiana has Gary does not mean the whole state is rust belt. I wish people who live in the midwest, and the parts of the northeast that are called rustbelt would stop using the term. It is normally used by those running down the area.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:56 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,689,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I actually just put in my resume earlier today for some Detroit area jobs!

SO EXCITED!

I may be coming home.
Maybe you've seen this already, but, if not, you might be interested. Those on this site, who think Detroit is just one giant wasteland, should probably read it, too.
The Urbanophile Blog Archive The Other Side of Detroit

I think you'll find the same kind of support/supporters for almost all of the other rust belt cities, too.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:01 PM

57,068 posts, read 81,467,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Maybe you've seen this already, but, if not, you might be interested. Those on this site, who think Detroit is just one giant wasteland, should probably read it, too.
The Urbanophile Blog Archive The Other Side of Detroit

I think you'll find the same kind of support/supporters for almost all of the other rust belt cities, too.
This also shows another side of Detroit: Model D Home -- Detroit's Online News Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.