U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 PM

313 posts, read 286,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Slowly but surely, it's creeping it's way down the entire East Coast - it's ain't just the Megalopolis that thinks in those terms anymore. You run into it in Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Miami as well. It's as if ANY city, in any spot on the E Coast, from South to North and back again, starts to become a big/major city, a certain classism and affluenza very, very swiftly tends to infect the area.

Not true in the rural areas of the E Coast states, but that just shows how most of the states, from FL to (at least) MA are two states in one: the cities, and everyone else.

I actually couldnt disagree more. Much of the Northeast outside of the major cities is just as class conscious as the rest. The mindset you find in wealthy areas outside of NYC and Philly is extremely condescending. I dont see that in most other places around the country. Its all about status.

Upstate NY is an extremely provincial region. Most of the educated youth are moving to the major cities in droves from Upstate NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Upstate and New England have some of the best colleges and universities that attract all kinds of people from all over the Northeast (small, middle, big cities). Theyre all a product of that Northeastern elitist mentality.

I know firsthand. I grew up and know many people like this. "I went to this school, have this job, I live in this area, etc. etc."

Their views on the rest of the country are no better than people in NYC or Boston.

Upstate NY is also part of the Rust-Belt, and its been going through bigtime braindrain. People get a quality education here and end up leaving for better jobs elsewhere. Most I know go to the regional powerhouses NYC, Philly, Boston or of course, the NY favorites, Myrtle Beach, Tampa, Miami and all over North Carolina. They take a lot of their elitism with them where ever they go.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 PM

56,758 posts, read 81,102,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
This is precisely accurate. The media often glamorizes the inner city regions of the rust belt without actually looking at the metros as a whole. While some small towns may have been dependent on only one factory, large cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Detroit all have metros that show them as a lot more stable than what most people have been led to believe.
Basically and many people do not realize that that there are still nice urban neighborhoods in these areas too. Here are some in Syracuse, for example: Welcome to Strathmore By The Park, Syracuse, New York

SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Eastwood Neighborhood Association
Walkable Eastwood

Westcott East Neighborhood Association
Westcott
UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association
Southeast University Neighborhood Association
Berkeley Park Properties 1

Court-Woodlawn Task Force

Tipperary Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Corrected it for you. That may be the case in the Bos-Wash corridor, but up here, you can find various neighborhoods on one side of a city or neighborhoods with people from various income levels. Remember that the "Rust Belt" included much of, if not most of the interior Northeast(I.e.- much of Upstate NY and PA).

In Utica, youd think you were in Long Island the way the Italians act. Completely status driven.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
Upstate and New England have some of the best colleges and universities that attract all kinds of people from all over the Northeast (small, middle, big cities). Theyre all a product of that Northeastern elitist mentality.

I know firsthand. I grew up and know many people like this. "I went to this school, have this job, I live in this area, etc. etc."

Their views on the rest of the country are no better than people in NYC or Boston.

Upstate NY is also part of the Rust-Belt, and its been going through bigtime braindrain. People get a quality education here and end up leaving for better jobs elsewhere. Most I know go to the regional powerhouses NYC, Philly, Boston or of course, the NY favorites, Myrtle Beach, Tampa, Miami and all over North Carolina. They take a lot of their elitism with them where ever they go.
Sorry, but Upstate NY is far from being elitist, by and large. Interestingly, the Albany and Rochester metros are above the national percentage in terms of people with Bachelor degrees or above. Buffalo and Syracuse are just below, with Syracuse being just 1.2% under(30.4% of people in the US have a Bachelor degree or above). http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/ed...ord-level.html

Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
In Utica, youd think you were in Long Island the way the Italians act. Completely status driven.
Really? I don't know if that is in the city of Utica. Maybe New Hartford or Clinton, but Utica doesn't give off that kind of vibe from what I've seen over there. I would maybe guess that some from South Utica or North Utica, but I still do not see it.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Really? I don't know if that is in the city of Utica. Maybe New Hartford or Clinton, but Utica doesn't give off that kind of vibe from what I've seen over there. I would maybe guess that some from South Utica or North Utica, but I still do not see it.

East Utica is the Little Italy of Utica.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but Upstate NY is far from being elitist, by and large. Interestingly, the Albany and Rochester metros are above the national percentage in terms of people with Bachelor degrees or above. Buffalo and Syracuse are just below, with Syracuse being just 1.2% under(30.4% of people in the US have a Bachelor degree or above). http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/ed...ord-level.html

Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com

How is Upstate not elitist? Look at the schools here for example. Hamilton, Cornell, Clarkson, etc. Ivy league. Look at the people it attracts.

Ive lived many other places, but was raised upstate. Ive been around the entire state a million times. I disagree with you 100% on that.

Are you just going by education? Because im not.

The whole mentality of most people here is completely elitist. You dont have to live in Boston, NYC or Philly to think that way. Most people in the outside areas are runoffs of those cities to begin with.

Its not a city-specific mindset at all. Its a regional mindset.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM

SUNY schools are among the best public universities in the country, along with Cal State schools. Its perfectly reasonable to see how Albany, Syracuse (under) and Rochester have a slightly above average % of people with BAs.

However, most educated individuals are leaving.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/ny...erland&emc=rss

Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:

You clearly havent seen enough then (Not that you or anyone should or would want to anyway). Especially East Utica. Its full of class conscious Italians.

Whitesboro, New Hartford, Clinton, etc. all are.

Like I said, Upstate NY is provincial in itself, and the Northeast is provincial as a region to the rest of the country. Extremely narrowminded/elitist/neurotic/arrogant, etc.

Doesnt matter where youre from at all in the region. Its a common attitude in this part of the country. Maybe its the proximity to the major cities, maybe its the weather, maybe its the history and tradition, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.