U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 AM

56,970 posts, read 81,324,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
But, they all have the same Uncle Harry. The 6 degrees of separation is only 1 here. Hehe.
Wrong and I think you may be reading into it too much or there's something else going on. It is a mix of older and newer residents, young and old folks, married and single people, an interracial couple or two and some have kids and some don't.

Also, not everyone thinks the same way around here. I don't know where you get that from, but from politics, to interests and other topics, you can find a variety of opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM

313 posts, read 287,475 times
Warmer cities are more transient than colder cities, so naturally the colder cities would be more traditional, communal and provincial.

Sure, NYC is transient, but dont try telling me its not provincial.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
Warmer cities are more transient than colder cities, so naturally the colder cities would be more traditional, communal and provincial.

Sure, NYC is transient, but dont try telling me its not provincial.
Warmer weather cities can have its share of provincial folks. Especially considering the South and how many feel that people from other regions have changed or have tried to change things there, real or perceived. I have a sibling that works in the Tidewater area of VA and was telling me about how things work in that area, as they are in a law enforcement agency there.

On the other hand, areas in the Northeast can have their transient areas due to certain industries like higher education, which can attract people from all over the world.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:09 AM

8,795 posts, read 10,898,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wrong and I think you may be reading into it too much or there's something else going on. It is a mix of older and newer residents, young and old folks, married and single people, an interracial couple or two and some have kids and some don't.

Also, not everyone thinks the same way around here. I don't know where you get that from, but from politics, to interests and other topics, you can find a variety of opinions.
What's the something else going on? The defensiveness is when you know you hit a nerve--something must be ringing true here. I used to criticize places I lived. This is just a discussion, nothing more and not meant to personally insult anyone. Hel* these are just my opinions and subject to change.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 AM

313 posts, read 287,475 times
Quote:
Warmer weather cities can have its share of provincial folks. Especially considering the South and how many feel that people from other regions have changed or have tried to change things there, real or perceived. I have a sibling that works in the Tidewater area of VA and was telling me about how things work in that area, as they are in a law enforcement agency there.

On the other hand, areas in the Northeast can have their transient areas due to certain industries like higher education, which can attract people from all over the world.

What does this have to do with my original point? It still stands.

Syracuse is in no way as transient as Dallas or Phoenix or LA.

The odds of finding a real local are way more likely in Syracuse than in those cities.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,928,349 times
Quote:
Warmer weather cities can have its share of provincial folks. Especially considering the South and how many feel that people from other regions have changed or have tried to change things there, real or perceived.
No one has denied the fact that places down south or in warmer climate can also be provincial.

The point you're missing is, smaller cities with little/no net migration will tend to be more provincial than big cities with tons of net migration. That's the way it's always been and always will be.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM

8,795 posts, read 10,898,425 times
THere are a few transplants here and there that I've seen, but not many. I think probably over 90% here are locals. My old "home" town in the Hudson Valley is probably over 50 % transplants, from the NYC area. Intereresting, I couldn't afford probably a shack there now.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM

Trust me, there is no defensiveness(because I'm from the area and will have more knowledge of it), no one was comparing Syracuse to Dallas, Phoenix(except for Upstate Nancy) or LA and of course, places with little to no net migration(big like Detroit and smaller like Syracuse) are probably going to be more "provincial" than a place that is more transient. With that said and with understanding, I don't think either or makes one better than the other.

My point comes back to the fact that the person is new to the area and you would think, would listen to people that have lived in the area for a while in order to find a place in that area that is more in line with what they are looking for(whatever that is). Keep in mind that in this area, many people have left, but have been replaced by others. So, the population of the metro, which grew by a small but positive 12,000 people between 2000-2010, may not be necessarily "90% locals". This on top of the fact that there are parts of the area that are more transient due to Syracuse University and other colleges/universities in the area(i.e.-the East Side of the city into the Eastern suburbs and parts of the Northern suburbs). If you are more familiar with the area, you are more likely to know this though. That's all.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM

189 posts, read 341,931 times
I think this photo thread sums up Cleveland pretty well.

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...606.msg630250/

Some nice areas, some not so nice areas, but overall the city has a lot of character. I can't wait to move back when I'm done with school.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkenstein91 View Post
I think this photo thread sums up Cleveland pretty well.

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...606.msg630250/

Some nice areas, some not so nice areas, but overall the city has a lot of character. I can't wait to move back when I'm done with school.
Very nice pictures of Cleveland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.