U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2012, 05:33 PM
 
313 posts, read 286,697 times
Reputation: 83

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, that is what it is about. I don't care either way either, but there may be people more in tune to a particular area than others. If people want both sides, that's fine, but at least have information for people to run with. It seems to be confusing trying to your points, at times.
I definitely see what he/she means though. That whole bit about questioning my knowledge of the area was BS. Your rhetoric has a pattern, and its a lot of "well as a matter of fact..." type. Like we dont know about the region we grew up in already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 PM
 
56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12544
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
I definitely see what he/she means though. That whole bit about questioning my knowledge of the area was BS. Your rhetoric has a pattern, and its a lot of "well as a matter of fact..." type. Like we dont know about the region we grew up in already?
She's originally from the Hudson Valley, not CNY. A lot of people still think people are leaving the metro area, but it is actually at an all time high for the 3 county area. No rhetoric because I try to post information to confirm what I say. US2010

2010 Census Data for Syracuse Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 25 days ago)
 
8,727 posts, read 10,857,046 times
Reputation: 12774
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
She's originally from the Hudson Valley, not CNY. A lot of people still think people are leaving the metro area, but it is actually at an all time high for the 3 county area. No rhetoric because I try to post information to confirm what I say. US2010

2010 Census Data for Syracuse Area
Right, so that's what this is about. I can say the same thing. If you aren't from CNY, although a NY native with connections and roots all over the state, you're an "outsider" who knows nothing about this little region. This area is not much different from other cities in NYS. Some differences here and there, but outside of downstate and NYC, these smaller regions/cities do have more similiarities than differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 AM
 
56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Right, so that's what this is about. I can say the same thing. If you aren't from CNY, although a NY native with connections and roots all over the state, you're an "outsider" who knows nothing about this little region. This area is not much different from other cities in NYS. Some differences here and there, but outside of downstate and NYC, these smaller regions/cities do have more similiarities than differences.
No, not at all, but I would move to SC where some of my family has roots and I personally never lived in before and tell people what Ithink the whole region of the state is after a few months.

Then, you back and forth, at extremes. One day its the people are too nice and wish that they wouldn't "go with the flow". Then, they too insular. Then, the area I live is beautiful. Then, the region is decling. It's too status driven, but then it is affordable. Then, after looking at homes in a few towns, all of the homes are like this. So, what is it?

Then, people have been willing to offer suggestions as to places to go. Those seem to have fallen on deaf ears. That has happened once before. So, it is what it is.

Also, I'll let my posting record speak for itself. I have offered information of the area, state and for other parts of the country to others. So, I've actually have been using this forum to tell people positive things about the area besides the stereotypical "Rust Belt" stuff and to dispel myths about NY and its people. So, stop making it personal and live. You may be surprised, in a good way by what you may find.

BTW-Did you get the PM I sent you? You may be interested in something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 25 days ago)
 
8,727 posts, read 10,857,046 times
Reputation: 12774
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No, not at all, but I would move to SC where some of my family has roots and I personally never lived in before and tell people what Ithink the whole region of the state is after a few months.

Then, you back and forth, at extremes. One day its the people are too nice and wish that they wouldn't "go with the flow". Then, they too insular. Then, the area I live is beautiful. Then, the region is decling. It's too status driven, but then it is affordable. Then, after looking at homes in a few towns, all of the homes are like this. So, what is it?

Then, people have been willing to offer suggestions as to places to go. Those seem to have fallen on deaf ears. That has happened once before. So, it is what it is.

Also, I'll let my posting record speak for itself. I have offered information of the area, state and for other parts of the country to others. So, I've actually have been using this forum to tell people positive things about the area besides the stereotypical "Rust Belt" stuff and to dispel myths about NY and its people. So, stop making it personal and live. You may be surprised, in a good way by what you may find.

BTW-Did you get the PM I sent you? You may be interested in something like that.
No, you just aren't capable of having 2 points of view in your head. People are nice here, but they are also insular. They can be both. Why couldn't they be? The area I live in personally is very pretty and the house I bought is very nice, but the general region is so-so at best.There's worse for sure. But,you will find nice homes and crappy ones in 1 block almost all places I've seen. Probably not the very exclusive areas though. I've never said the area is status driven, not here?! It is somewhat affordable for people who have lower expectations. If you come from a shiny area with newer houses, you will be dissapointed most likely unless you can spend more than you spent where you are coming from. You don't need to be condescending. I am offering what I see from my point of view.
Why don't you stop making it personal when people have their own views and live your life without offering advice at every turn of the corner, there you are. Maybe people can figure things out for themselves. That is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 AM
 
56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
No, you just aren't capable of having 2 points of view in your head. People are nice here, but they are also insular. They can be both. Why couldn't they be? The area I live in personally is very pretty and the house I bought is very nice, but the general region is so-so at best.There's worse for sure. But,you will find nice homes and crappy ones in 1 block almost all places I've seen. Probably not the very exclusive areas though. I've never said the area is status driven, not here?! It is somewhat affordable for people who have lower expectations. If you come from a shiny area with newer houses, you will be dissapointed most likely unless you can spend more than you spent where you are coming from. You don't need to be condescending. I am offering what I see from my point of view.
Why don't you stop making it personal when people have their own views and live your life without offering advice at every turn of the corner, there you are. Maybe people can figure things out for themselves. That is what it is.
I never made it personal. It is an area that developed earlier than Sun Belt areas. So, much of it isn't going to be shiny and new. With that said, you can find plenty of newer homes at a range of prices. If you would have asked, plenty of people would have pointed you in the right direction. I'm sure everything isn't shiny and new in outer city Sun Belt cities, as they are more in line with first ring suburbs in Northeastern and some Midwestern cities/areas. No need for name calling and put downs, as that takes different points of view look like something else.

For other posters, you can view newer homes in the area here: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Homes can run the gamut and you do not have to lower your standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top