U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,571,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Using at least one of your examples, here are some other cities with pop. density included:

Tucson: 195.1 (2,647/sq. mile)
Albuquerque: 181.3 (2,796/sq. mile)
Salt Lake City: 110.4 (1,666/sq. mile)
Las Vegas: 131.3 (4,154/sq. mile)
Reno:69.3 (2,611/sq. mile)
Boise:64 (3,169/sq. mile)

For Comparison, here are some Rust Belt cities:

Detroit: 143 (6,856/sq. mile)
Buffalo: 52.5 (7,206/sq. mile)
Pittsburgh: 58.3 (5,636/sq. mile)
And population density isn't even a good stat for measuring the structural density of rust belt cities--which is much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 7,538,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Huh?
Sorry; I re-worded my response above. I'm really not sure what the point of that question was.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
And population density isn't even a good stat for measuring the structural density of rust belt cities--which is much higher.
Exactly. I thought of structural density, as well, but I really don't know where to look for those stats.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,364,372 times
Quote:
Exactly. I thought of structural density, as well, but I really don't know where to look for those stats.
I guess the best is too just google earth over them. Three is nothing that has that stat.

One thing to notice though, is suburban areas in the Interior West and West are much more dense than suburban areas in the East.

The housing plans in the interior west are built very densly in areas like Auroria, CO and other places.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,774,076 times
Quote:
Of course not, but the internet is intangible and my use of it does not interfere with anyone else's resources -- so I'm not seeing your point.
The internet certainly uses resources not needed to sustain life; where do you think the electricity needed comes from---resources----coal, natural gas, uranium and such.

You perch yourself precariously on a high horse. You seem to think that why you enjoy is vital and what the other guy enjoys is trivial; a not uncommon attitude among Greenys and social liberals.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,458,365 times
Quote:
Of course not, but the internet is intangible and my use of it does not interfere with anyone else's resources -- so I'm not seeing your point.
You're a consumer just like everyone else. Do you own a car? own a television? All of those things use resources and are not needed to sustain life. You don't think the process to make computers and networks for the internet don't use resources or produce waste?

No offense but you kind of come off like those types that claim to reject materialism and consumerism as they listen to their ipod and sip some Starbucks. You act like you're not consuming more than you need to when you are.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,571,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I guess the best is too just google earth over them. Three is nothing that has that stat.

One thing to notice though, is suburban areas in the Interior West and West are much more dense than suburban areas in the East.

The housing plans in the interior west are built very densly in areas like Auroria, CO and other places.
Unfortunately though, when you look at some of these areas that were once some of the densest neighborhoods in the country all you see is urban prairie from all the decay. Take a look at Pittsburgh's Hill District on Google maps...you'd never be able to tell that it once had some of the densest neighborhoods in the country!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM

87,038 posts, read 102,742,261 times
We could do this all afternoon, but I will post some western cities population density.

Across the west we go:
Denver: 3837 people/sq. mi
Seattle: 7085
Portland: 4098
San Francisco: 16,383
LA: 8174

And Awesomo is correct about the densities of the suburban areas of the west. I would include California in that group. The lots there are quite small by eastern standards, even by Colorado standards.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're a consumer just like everyone else. Do you own a car? own a television? All of those things use resources and are not needed to sustain life. You don't think the process to make computers and networks for the internet don't use resources or produce waste?

No offense but you kind of come off like those types that claim to reject materialism and consumerism as they listen to their ipod and sip some Starbucks. You act like you're not consuming more than you need to when you are.
I think we should take a step back here. I probably should not have added the "to sustain life" part, because I can see how some are taking issue with that wording.

First off, I'm as "guilty" (even though I hate using that wording) as everyone when it comes to consumption -- so I'm not trying to put off any pretenses of being more "consumer conscious" than the next person.

Still, in the context of this argument -- that is, one about development and suburban sprawl -- consumption is something that is much less under one person's control (like deciding to use the internet or buying an iPod). Land consumption is on a much larger scale that deals with political policy and executive planning. Thus, it is something of which everyone needs to be mindful to make sure it is in check. Again, by no means did I mean to come off as though we should dictate consumption based only on what "sustains life," but the concept of sustainability is something our society needs to consider.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The internet certainly uses resources not needed to sustain life; where do you think the electricity needed comes from---resources----coal, natural gas, uranium and such.

You perch yourself precariously on a high horse. You seem to think that why you enjoy is vital and what the other guy enjoys is trivial; a not uncommon attitude among Greenys and social liberals.
I think there's a misunderstanding here; please refer to my last post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.