Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
That post was as warming as a hallmark card. I almost teared up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Agreed. ScranBarre, you really captured the sense of solidity and, oh, continuity deeply rooted in such places.
Thank you. This is quite honestly how I feel. America, as an aggregate, is becoming far too homogenized for my tastes. Everyone wants to visit another city and then eat at Applebee's, shop at Wal-Mart, and do everything else that is mundane and "routine" to them. This is why even though the quality-of-life in places like Raleigh, Tulsa, Plano, Cary, Charlotte, etc. may be top-notch, you couldn't pay me enough to live in an area where taupe, beige, and sprawl are preferable to character, charm, and personality. I'm aware that many Southern and Sunbelt cities have their mixed-use, walkable, and historic areas as well, but they PALE in comparison to what you can find in most Rust Belt cities, including my own.

Where can you find scenes like these in the "Best Places" like Cary, Tulsa, Plano, Scottsdale, etc.?

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is the "big bad Rust Belt" of Northeastern Pennsylvania! Disgusting and vile, is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Many areas of the rust-belt are decayed, no doubt. But as Matt says, its HOME. And the crazier this world gets, the more proud I am to call the Midwest home. Its relaxing, the people are incredible, and there is too much variety to leave behind. Its home!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,930,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
For as much as Scranton's economy continues to struggle, I fall more and more enamored with the city each time I see a child learning to ride his or her bicycle along a tree-lined street amidst a blend of historic homes, attend one of various annual festivals, do a downtown pub crawl, or see the "Scranton Welcomes You" sign on the opening credits of "The Office." You can't merely quantify quality-of-life in terms of economics. Even though I'm about to graduate with a B.S. in Accounting and am having difficulty landing a job in my field, I'll gladly stay here and struggle working two jobs outside of my field until the economy finally rebounds because I can't imagine raising my family anywhere else. One block of Scranton has more soul to it than an entire subdivision in Tulsa, Cary, or Plano.
This is how i feel about my corner of the Rust Belt...............keep your soulless shiny new cities! I'd rather live in an area that has character and a little "rust". I can't stand transient cities where people have no ties to the area and destroy the landscape and towns they inhibit. I think in the end the rust belt will have the last laugh. We've got the affordable homes (sometimes more than the new south) and the cultural institutions of much larger cities w/out the traffic and congestion.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM

I just posted when I noticed Matt's incredible pics of Pennsylvania. Awesome, Matt! I adore Scranton, its a unique city to say the least...

Here are some "rust-belt-Hell" in Chicagoland, which continues to grow like a weed in many areas. This is my HOME:

Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 PM

351 posts, read 649,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think because they are cities that are recreating themselves. I live in one and it is transitioning from being a city built off of manufacturing to being a city that is growing in terms of helthcare, higher education and new technology.
Actually, the irony is that that's not happening at all. Cities like Cleveland, Detroit and Pittsburgh continue to lose people, businesses, and opportunities to vibrant southern and western cities. Instead of doing exactly what you're suggesting, the leadership in these cities are circling the wagons around the unions, public schools, and traditional black identity politics keeping the rust best from dusting itself off and entering the 21st Century.

Why do people stay? Family, familiarity, lack of education or job prospects, and the unbeatable feeling of being home no matter how crappy home might be.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM

351 posts, read 649,468 times
Steve-o, I don't think anybody considers Chicago a rust belt anymore. Chicago did what Cleveland and Detroit failed to do by diversifying their economy and making the area attractive to upward moving young families and college graduates.

Great pictures of Chicagoland, though!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,159,666 times
Darwinian selection operates slowly, but surely

India has 1Bn+ people, most of whom are underachievers....but, for past 40+ yrs, most of the smartest engineering college grads have been coming to US for grad school at places like Stanford/Berkeley....have never left US...and many have built careers in US and are among wealthiest guys in SiliconValley's tech and financial industries and in NYC's financial industry

Similarly, for past 40+yrs, most of smartest kids from RustBelt have gone to leading colleges in CA/Northeast...and built careers in SiliconValley/NYC/LA...and have never returned to RustBelt...closest place some talented people from Midwest decide to settle is Chicago, but, in past 10-15yrs, Chicago has been increasingly eclipsed by NYC and CA in powerful, lucrative industries like hedge funds and tech, which attract a disproportionate no. of smartest kids today....perhaps indicating secular issues w/regions like Bos or Dallas or SD or OC, etc, which can't build (for whatever reason) powerful, lucrative, IQ/innovation-based industries, despite advantages like leading colleges or low taxes or low COL or great weather/topography

Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Steve-O, do you have the phone number of that stud standing by the car in your one picture?!! DDROOOLL!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,307 times
It's really hard to leave your home.

And, believe it or don't, but manufacturing is hurting in the rustbelt. Or it's already long gone. Everything else is doing fine

Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Steve-o, I don't think anybody considers Chicago a rust belt anymore. Chicago did what Cleveland and Detroit failed to do by diversifying their economy and making the area attractive to upward moving young families and college graduates.

Great pictures of Chicagoland, though!
In most areas, yes. But there are still areas of Chicagoland that Id consider somewhat "rust-belt", even though theyre surrounded by vibrant communities. And to be honest, youd be surprised to know how many people think Chicagoland is some desolate, deserted place, since its situated somewhat closely to Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.