U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM

13 posts, read 29,461 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want out of HIGH taxed CA. We have been considering this for along time, but since all our friends and family live in CA, we don't know where to start. Ideally we want "small town" living. We have 3 kids, 14, 11 and 1.5 yr old. I want to be able to wave at my neighbors and not have them think I'm crazy! I really would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. SOMEONE GUIDE ME PLEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 10:19 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,949 times
Do you want to stay near your family in California? If so I would look at Nevada or Arizona which both have low taxes.

Does COL matter? Is there a certain landscape you would like? You need to answer questions like these first.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 26 days ago)

9,832 posts, read 21,142,259 times
What about Versailles, Kentucky?
* population 8,000, located 10 miles from Lexington (pop. 280,000)
* Median family income $58,000; only 5% of families below poverty line
* 26% of residents have a college degree
* located in KY's Horse Farm country

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/13518685.jpg (broken link)

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/13518729.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-12-2009, 11:33 PM

304 posts, read 828,982 times
people dont wave at you? is this a joke....move to maine or somethin i dunno

Old 01-13-2009, 01:06 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,656,077 times
People here just randomly wave to each other sometimes. People I don't even know just wave in their cars. It mostly seems to be older people, though.

There are a lot of variables. Cost of living? Climate? Can you handle the cold? You said smaller town, like how small? What kind of job are you looking for?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I am SERIOUS when I tell you I don't know my neighbors, not for the lack of trying either. People in CA do NOT wave and if you do wave they think you are crazy, or they look behind them thinking you are waving at someone behind them. Because we have kids I would like the small town feeling. You know, where the kids can go play outside, ride their bikes. Quality of education a big concern (our gov here wants to cut 5 days out of the school year for budget purposes, my kids need MORE schooling, not less!) Cost of living, affordable housing is another concern. Weather isn't as much, we'll adjust. Although my whole family is here in CA, we can travel for holidays and vacations, so staying near my family isn't a concern. My main concern is being able to raise my kids in a safe, friendly environment.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,733,389 times
It must be a trend. There are three families on my street in Birmingham who have left California and moved here in the past two years. Two of them sold their homes and bought their houses here outright with the equity from the sale. My across the street neighbor fled LA with his wife and two daughters, and are now convincing their LA friends to move here, too. People keep flying here, staying a week, and job hunting.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 AM

I forgot to mention my husband is an ER nurse so hes pretty marketable.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,733,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbnmom03 View Post
I forgot to mention my husband is an ER nurse so hes pretty marketable.
Well, there's the huge medical center at UAB, a national healthcare research center. Worth checking out.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:35 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,005,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbnmom03 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I am SERIOUS when I tell you I don't know my neighbors, not for the lack of trying either. People in CA do NOT wave and if you do wave they think you are crazy, or they look behind them thinking you are waving at someone behind them. Because we have kids I would like the small town feeling. You know, where the kids can go play outside, ride their bikes. Quality of education a big concern (our gov here wants to cut 5 days out of the school year for budget purposes, my kids need MORE schooling, not less!) Cost of living, affordable housing is another concern. Weather isn't as much, we'll adjust. Although my whole family is here in CA, we can travel for holidays and vacations, so staying near my family isn't a concern. My main concern is being able to raise my kids in a safe, friendly environment.

There is saying in NY Hello means F- U and in CA F- U means hello! I donno if I want anyone of 'em saying hello to me.

Well I'd recommend a neighboring state perhaps I mean they are ALL cheaper to live in than CA say OR, NV, AZ? Californians have been migrating to those states for the past 20 year now in flocks and droves. If you want a small town with better education maybe OR then. Perhaps look into charter schools as well. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.