Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I like it when they name the streets after the types of trees that were removed or the types of wildlife that was displaced to build them. Deer Run Lane? - guess what, the deer hauled *ss out of there when the dozers came along.
Or when they build on farmland and give all the streets agricultural names!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Or when they build on farmland and give all the streets agricultural names!
I was going to say that myself. Alot of the early developments like the various Levittowns are like that.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
There's a subdivision here called "Meadowbrook Farms." It's nowhere near any farms, and there certainly isn't a meadow or a brook anywhere on the property. Also, the streets are named after states: Oklahoma Drive, New Jersey Street . . . . this is Michigan! You think they could have at least chosen some intersting states like California and Alaska. Oklahoma? New Jersey???

There's another subdivision by the same developer called "Meadows at Coolidge Place," which features cookie-cutter cluster houses and streets named after presidents . . . Nixon Lane, Garfield Street, Bush Blvd, etc.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I've always been amused by a neighborhood in NE Atlanta called Merry Hills...the streets in it are named Holly Lane, Christmas Lane, Merry Lane and Reindeer Drive.
What's so amusing about it is that the neighborhood is about 95% Orthodox Jewish.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Most of them are all just corny. Another term that's over used, particularly in suburban retail, is "crossing." There's a new one being built in my parents town called, "Payne's Crossing" and my girlfriend's family lives right near, "Scarborough Crossing."

The words, "gallery" and "collection" are pretty common among shopping malls. We have the Natick Collection (high end retail) in the Boston area.

I hate them all. My girlfriend and I typically make fun of every one we pass. "Meadowbrook" seems to be a commonly used one in that every suburban town I've ever been in has at least one "Meadowbrook."

I grew up in a neighborhood like that (my parents still live there) and I swear on my life I will never live in one again. If that's the American Dream, then count me out. I'll take urban living any day.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 AM

154 posts, read 910,132 times
Roseville, CA: They bulldozed beautiful open fields with Oak trees and put up the ugliest, cheapest, housing developments I've ever seen. In between these neighborhoods are equally as ugly strip malls with Starbucks, Safeways, and Bank of America's. It all looks the same for miles and miles, housing development, strip mall, housing development, strip mall. You get the picture. Anyway, they are all different shades of peach and tan, all stucco, all two story, all the same. Tiny non-existent yards. Narrow streets, even the cars are the same, Escalade, Lexus, Escalade, Lexus, lined all the way down the street. Ha ha! Anyway, here are a few of the names I see on the iron gates that enclose these neighborhoods.

Esquire Estates
Moroccan Manor
Lexington Lane Estates

I mean, come on. Are they serious? Do people really buy into these fancy gated communites being elite living? There is NOTHING about these houses that resemble anything in Morocco. That's for sure! LOL.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:18 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
Merry Way...LOL

Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Here are some baffling ones in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Metroplex.

Barney Farms (How romantic!)
Blueberry Hill Estates (Built Atop a Former Landfill)
Fox Meadows (No Meadows or Foxes Anywhere Nearby)
Harmony Hills (What's So "Harmonious" About Tearing Down Trees For Homes?)
Highland Hills (Located in the Wyoming Valley)
Ice Lakes (What About July?!)
Independence Ridge (This Area Had NOTHING to Do With the Revolutionary War!)
Quail Hill (WHAT Quail?!)
Stone Bridge (Named for the Stone Bridge That Was Removed to Make Way For the Subdivision!)
Susquehanna Estates (No Views of the Susquehanna River)
The Village at Mountaintop (The Town is REALLY "Mountain Top")
Wildcat Ridge (WTF?! Bobcats in Scrantropolis?!)
Wildflower Village (Street Names Have Wildflower Names, but There Are No Wildflowers in Sight)
Willow View (No Willows in Sight)

As our area's pandemic sprawl issues continue to worsen I expect even more asinine developers to rear their ugly heads! LOL!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Here are some baffling ones in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Metroplex.

Barney Farms (How romantic!)
Blueberry Hill Estates (Built Atop a Former Landfill)
Fox Meadows (No Meadows or Foxes Anywhere Nearby)
Harmony Hills (What's So "Harmonious" About Tearing Down Trees For Homes?)
Highland Hills (Located in the Wyoming Valley)
Ice Lakes (What About July?!)
Independence Ridge (This Area Had NOTHING to Do With the Revolutionary War!)
Quail Hill (WHAT Quail?!)
Stone Bridge (Named for the Stone Bridge That Was Removed to Make Way For the Subdivision!)
Susquehanna Estates (No Views of the Susquehanna River)
The Village at Mountaintop (The Town is REALLY "Mountain Top")
Wildcat Ridge (WTF?! Bobcats in Scrantropolis?!)
Wildflower Village (Street Names Have Wildflower Names, but There Are No Wildflowers in Sight)
Willow View (No Willows in Sight)

As our area's pandemic sprawl issues continue to worsen I expect even more asinine developers to rear their ugly heads! LOL!
Please do not talk about sprawl issues on this forum. If you do, you will be put down as a elitist urbanite.

On this board there is only urbanites, and suburbanites. No in between, and God Forbid if you try to talk about how to develop smart growth suburbs.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:06 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,697 times
Anything with "Big Bone Lick" in it, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.