U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:15 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,803,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Anything with "Big Bone Lick" in it, LOL!
No way!

Actually the one that cracks me up is the one I live in: Sonoma at Ute Creek and there's a little stone wall at the entrance with an embossed carving of grapes on it! Only problem is, it's in Colorado, miles from the nearest vineyard and it overlooks a golf course. Not exactly Napa is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 PM

2,082 posts, read 4,728,637 times
When I was a kid in Oregon a sudivision went in called "Tropic Isles Estates", with street names like Hawaiian, Tahitian, Bora Bora, etc. They even had palm trees and hibiscus by the entrance signs. They died after the first fall frost.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:16 PM

30,189 posts, read 67,332,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Please do not talk about sprawl issues on this forum. If you do, you will be put down as a elitist urbanite.

On this board there is only urbanites, and suburbanites. No in between, and God Forbid if you try to talk about how to develop smart growth suburbs.
Excuse me? Are you being serious? The reason why so many older cities are in the dire straits they are in today is solely the fault of flight to the suburbs. If Scranton's thousands of well-heeled suburbanites flooded back into the city, we'd be one of the most vibrant cities in the Northeast!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Here are some baffling ones in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Metroplex.

Barney Farms (How romantic!)
Blueberry Hill Estates (Built Atop a Former Landfill)
Fox Meadows (No Meadows or Foxes Anywhere Nearby)
Harmony Hills (What's So "Harmonious" About Tearing Down Trees For Homes?)
Highland Hills (Located in the Wyoming Valley)
Ice Lakes (What About July?!)
Independence Ridge (This Area Had NOTHING to Do With the Revolutionary War!)
Quail Hill (WHAT Quail?!)
Stone Bridge (Named for the Stone Bridge That Was Removed to Make Way For the Subdivision!)
Susquehanna Estates (No Views of the Susquehanna River)
The Village at Mountaintop (The Town is REALLY "Mountain Top")
Wildcat Ridge (WTF?! Bobcats in Scrantropolis?!)
Wildflower Village (Street Names Have Wildflower Names, but There Are No Wildflowers in Sight)
Willow View (No Willows in Sight)

As our area's pandemic sprawl issues continue to worsen I expect even more asinine developers to rear their ugly heads! LOL!
Blueberry Hill Estates (Built Atop a Former Landfill)
LOL !!!
Independence Ridge (This Area Had NOTHING to Do With the Revolutionary War!)
Possibly it is because the Iroqouis Indians came down during the Revolution and attacked the Connecticut settlers in the Wyoming valley. There were several battles in the area I believe.

Connecticut was trying to claim most of what is now Northern Pennsylvania. Things actually got pretty hot between Pennsylvania and Connecticut forces at different times.

After the Revolution - Connecticut gave up its right to Northern Pennsylvania but continued to claim a narrow band of land all the way to the Pacific! They actually settled part of NE Ohio.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,337,597 times
Worst one I've seen was one where streets were named after planets.
Saturn Street
Jupiter Road
Uranus Drive

I'm not even kidding!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,714,717 times
"The Escape at Hardwood" enough said.......

I've also seen "Morning Wood"

Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,982,819 times
Ventana Ranch. I live in the wacked out Subdivison.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 AM

207 posts, read 591,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL I'll bet the couples on that street had a problem with getting to work on time!
I just now got the joke!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,360,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Excuse me? Are you being serious? The reason why so many older cities are in the dire straits they are in today is solely the fault of flight to the suburbs. If Scranton's thousands of well-heeled suburbanites flooded back into the city, we'd be one of the most vibrant cities in the Northeast!
You should know me better than that, I was just being sarcastic.
This came after I was talking about smart growth, and I was put down as being a "elitist Urbanite".

Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 AM

30,189 posts, read 67,332,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
You should know me better than that, I was just being sarcastic.
This came after I was talking about smart growth, and I was put down as being a "elitist Urbanite".
Oh! Sorry! I'm a little dense sometimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.