U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:26 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,361,508 times

Advertisements

I work in a newly built office park in a urban sprawl hell hole. When I drive home, I sometimes take the back roads and go by all the subdivisions that destroyed forest to put up horrible looking block housing on credit. The most creative thing to them is their cheesy names they give them. The names are the most important thing. This is for some dude at work can tell the secretary that he lives in "High Point Acres" so he can sound important and rich on his credit debt. The architecture of the houses could have been designed by a 5th grader who knows autocad, but the subdivision names comes from a true genius.

I especially love when they tear down forest, drain lakes, and then name the urban sprawl subdivision full of McMansion after what use to be there.

Here are a few where I work in this urban sprawl hellhole.

-Heron Lakes.
-Horse Trotting Estates(no joke, this is a classic)
-Applewood Acres
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,997 times
There was this subdivision in one of the places I grew up in that had a "wood" theme. One of the street names was "morningwood lane". I'm pretty sure they changed it at one point though.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 AM

23,109 posts, read 35,052,903 times
^ LOL yes, most subdivision developers make a lame attempt to create an illusion to residents and visitors of living like the landed gentry of England. The names, more often than not, seem to end in Estates, or Acres (even when the lots constitute no more than 1/4 of an acre).
The funniest name I recall was when a friend of mine was building a house in Cobb County, GA. She was a HS French teacher, and was horrified when the sign for the subdivision went up and read Les Chateau. She called the developer and told him that he would either have to drop the S in Les or add an X to Chateau...she couldn't abide living in the grammatically incorrect status quo.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 AM

23,109 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
There was this subdivision in one of the places I grew up in that had a "wood" theme. One of the street names was "morningwood lane". I'm pretty sure they changed it at one point though.
LOL I'll bet the couples on that street had a problem with getting to work on time!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 AM

926 posts, read 2,457,843 times
Brittany Estates (cincinnati)
Amberly Village (cincinnati)
Serenity Acres (columbia, sc)
Peaceful Isles (suburb of huntsville, dont know where I was lol)

Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 AM

6,489 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Ahoy! Acres (Chesapeake, VA)
North Ahoy Acres (Chesapeake, VA)

Any of the places near Hilton Head, SC with "Plantation" in the name. Call me silly, but I don't have the most positive connotations with South Carolina plantations, and I imagine some not-nice things happening there. It doesn't help the image, that some of these subdivisions have giant Nazi concentration camp guard towers on their boundaries.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,216,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post

I especially love when they tear down forest, drain lakes, and then name the urban sprawl subdivision full of McMansion after what use to be there.

-Heron Lakes.

Lol, good point. There are several sub-divisions here in Omaha named after non-existant lakes also.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 AM

8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Des Moines

Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM

351 posts, read 541,469 times
Salt Lake takes the cake. Bountiful? Really?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,369,034 times
Oh my favorite in this area is "ancient oaks". Not so funny? Well, it is considering that they clear cut and plowed every single oak tree on the 30 acres to clear the land to build the houses. Kind of ironic when you think about it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.