U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 PM

481 posts, read 1,154,060 times

Advertisements

I think that if you have a good group of friends and family nearby any city can be fun. I you have good relationships with a diverse group of people you will find yourself doing and seeing things that you normaly would not. I think that people who think that "insert city here" has nothing to offer needs to lighten up and explore some places off the beaten path. Go to gay clubs, stop eating at chain restaurants, go hang out at a university museum, watch some local band you have never seen, etc, etc ,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,792,516 times
Any city far from an ocean and mountains gets boring very quickly for me.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,333,019 times
Depends on the Person's likes and dislikes. Its not a boring person that makes a city boring. Its simply their interests. Its redicouls to call a person boring, for thinking a city is boring. Ever heard of 'to each his own'?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,287,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Lol...well, I have to say that "Yes!" there are borring cities. For example not everyone actually likes anything to do with shopping at malls, going to overcrowded ghetto clubs, sliding their hands along nasty theme park rails, or any of the other "city" propaganda. I personally think almost every single city I have been to is borring outside of maybe the occasional once a month visit or so. Yes, I do now live in a metropolitan area, but I am well outside the city limits, and do not live in your typical 3/2/2 cookie cutter model home.

Anyway, my point is, to MANY of us the city is absolutely BORRING! I like my freedom, and not the hustle bustle of traffic, and yuppies. Sad thing is I'll probably hear someone call me a redneck, or white trash for this view point. Maybe someone will even explain how us country folk are illiterate, or uneducated. Well, I've lived in both, and I can tell you that you may wanna take a look at my profile before you say something silly. Also I have come to realize that big money, and politics are truly born, and bread in the small country towns, and big ranches of Texas. Not the KB subdivisions.
Because urban living isn't for you and you don't like having the options of a large city...that doesn't make it "boring". You may call it irritating, confining, crowded, materialistic, hectic, etc. but "boring" doesn't accurately describe your version of city life. Boring implies a lack of interesting or entertaining options - and although those options may not be your first choice, that doesn't automatically make them boring.

Some cities require more exploration and personal motivation to find interesting things to do than other cities...but those things are definitely out there in any city or town. There are always things that we would rather be doing, but the trick is to find things that we at least mildly enjoy without always longing for something else. Any city is good for that.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:30 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,785,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Depends on the Person's likes and dislikes. Its not a boring person that makes a city boring. Its simply their interests. Its redicouls to call a person boring, for thinking a city is boring. Ever heard of 'to each his own'?
I don't think it's is ridiculous at all. If one's scope of interests is so narrow and limited, that makes one a boring person by definition.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:32 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,333,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't think it's is ridiculous at all. If one's scope of interests is so narrow and limited, that makes one a boring person by definition.
I do think it is ridiculous. People like what they like and dislike what they don't. Cities that don't meet what they like are typically called by them 'boring'

But do you mind giving me the definition of a boring person?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,785,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I do think it is ridiculous. People like what they like and dislike what they don't. Cities that don't meet what they like are typically called by them 'boring'

But do you mind giving me the definition of a boring person?
A boring person? Someone who lacks curiosity, has a very circumscribed range of interests, has a very limited worldview, lacks imagination, and lacks the basic initiative to identify with others.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,982,570 times
I was born and raised in Manhattan. Unfortunately, I now live the the "city" of Naples, Florida. How many people have ever heard of it? City? I don't think so.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 7,325,109 times
Also someone can become bored in a city metro simply because they don't have enough money to be entertained.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:30 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,453,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Also someone can become bored in a city metro simply because they don't have enough money to be entertained.
no kidding, that is one of the reasons I do not care for the SF Bay Area as much as other people, you need money to have fun and keep yourself entertained there more so than where I live now, San Diego. The beach is free and even parking is free; I don't like having to spend money to have fun and be entertained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.