Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would knock my socks off?
Chicago 40 55.56%
Denver 19 26.39%
St. Louis 5 6.94%
Columbus 3 4.17%
Cleveland 2 2.78%
Indianapolis 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:34 AM

351 posts, read 649,527 times

Advertisements

Here are the cities I'm looking at for relocation: Denver, Saint Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, and Cleveland.

Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati are options but I haven't thought seriously about them so I've ommitted them from the poll. Feel free to recommend them.

Here are the things I LOVE:

-Culture: theatre/symphony/arts
-Conservatism: it doesn't have to be Provo, Utah--but I'd like a place where I can wear my conservative values on my sleeve a little bit without being pelted with tofu grenades.
-Snow
-Fall (where it's cold and the leaves turn colors)
-Suburbs
-A growing, hopeful city: I don't want to feel like I'm in a death trap
-A good economy
-Yuppies
-Organic food
-The outdoors/hiking/cross-country skiing
-The midwest
-Trees
-Grit
-Sophistication
-Universities

Things I HATE:

-Traffic: Don't we all?
-Snobby people
-Transience: this may screw the pooch on the whole "growing city" part, but I want a city where community is strong and people are tied to the area. I want a home, not a playground
-Crime
-Nightclubs: they annoy me
-High-rises and new urbanism: they annoy me, too.
-Miserable people
-Lots and lots of single people: see transience

I like all of these cities but I don't know if I'd like to live in them. Which city would be the best fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Sounds like St. Louis. It's urban but it's more Conservative than most of the other cities you named. Sure, it votes Democrat, but many are Conservative Democrats because it's such a Catholic city. There's also a large number of Republicans in the suburbs. There are Yuppies all over.

It's not very transient. Most people who live there grew up there. Adults still ask "What high school did you go to?" because they assume you grew up there.

There are several universities in and near the city. They include: St. Louis University, Washington University, Webster University, Fontbonne University, Maryville University, and more.

St. Louis has all 4 seasons. There is snow in the winter and the trees change color in the fall.

St. Louis people are friendly, like much of the Midwest. Most people dont have the big city attitude. It's like a big small town.

On the down side, there is a lot of crime within the city limits. But St. Louis County (which is a separate entity from St. Louis city) is very safe.

St. Louis also lacks in the outdoors department. Denver would be a best city for that. But St. Louis does have Forest Park, which is one of the largest urban parks in the US. Then there's Hidden Valley ski resort in St. Louis county, but experienced skiers would probably think it's a joke. The Ozarks are just a couple hours outside St. Louis, but the foothills begin right outside St. Louis county.

Last edited by Smtchll; 01-07-2009 at 01:48 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
I'd vote Chicago. Certainly the largest major city after NYC and LA, with a lot of culture and a lot to do. Certainly you'll get things you hate with a major city as well.

Columbus, Ohio would prob be my 2nd choice, the university scene there is huge, but it's not exactly a college town. You can drive to other cities that you mentioned, Cleveland, Cincy, etc. It would seem more conservative than Chicago.

Even though I grew up in a small town in CO and currently live in Denver it would be my third choice, it's a beautiful and clean city with so much to do outdoors wise, city-wise it's lacking a bit culturally behind, but the bottom line, it's like you say "a playground" where everyones from out of town.

I do like Kansas City, for a city it's really compact, people there are very friendly for a city and you actually meet people born and raised in KC/MO. But like much of Kansas, it's in the middle of nowhere. Indianapolis as well, people there are friendly as hell for a city, feels more like a small town of a million people, but there's just not much to do other than drink.

Last edited by RangerDuke08; 01-07-2009 at 04:07 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Sounds like St. Louis. It's urban but it's more Conservative than most of the other cities you named. Sure, it votes Democrat, but many are Conservative Democrats because it's such a Catholic city. There's also a large number of Republicans in the suburbs. There are Yuppies all over.

It's not very transient. Most people who live there grew up there. Adults still ask "What high school did you go to?" because they assume you grew up there.

There are several universities in and near the city. They include: St. Louis University, Washington University, Webster University, Fontbonne University, Maryville University, and more.

St. Louis has all 4 seasons. There is snow in the winter and the trees change color in the fall.

St. Louis people are friendly, like much of the Midwest. Most people dont have the big city attitude. It's like a big small town.

On the down side, there is a lot of crime within the city limits. But St. Louis County (which is a separate entity from St. Louis city) is very safe.

St. Louis also lacks in the outdoors department. Denver would be a best city for that. But St. Louis does have Forest Park, which is one of the largest urban parks in the US. Then there's Hidden Valley ski resort in St. Louis county, but experienced skiers would probably think it's a joke. The Ozarks are just a couple hours outside St. Louis, but the foothills begin right outside St. Louis county.
St. Louis has got to be one of the most underrated cities in America.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
What about the other major cities like NY, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami? Have you been to those already?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
I'm going to go ahead and vote St. Louis based on your preferences. It certainly appears many people went and voted for Chicago and did not read your likes and dislikes at all. Not really surprised by that.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and vote St. Louis based on your preferences. It certainly appears many people went and voted for Chicago and did not read your likes and dislikes at all. Not really surprised by that.
Yeah, I was worried about that. Just out of curiosity, how come you don't think Chicago would be a good pick?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Chicago is full of high-rises, nightclubs/bars and single people, but otherwise it meets those.

I would say Denver though if you're going for the others, or maybe St. Louis.

Funny how those three attributes you listed above are three that drew me here in the first place.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Yeah, I was worried about that. Just out of curiosity, how come you don't think Chicago would be a good pick?
Personally, I think Chicago is a great city.
Here are the reasons I didn't think Chicago would fit what you're looking for based on your listing below:

Here are the things I LOVE:
-Conservatism: it doesn't have to be Provo, Utah--but I'd like a place where I can wear my conservative values on my sleeve a little bit without being pelted with tofu grenades. Chicago is generally liberal and even if not, Chicago is Obama territory.
-A growing, hopeful city: I don't want to feel like I'm in a death trap Chicago is already pretty much grown
-A good economy Some may be able to enlighten more, but there seems to be a huge influx of workers moving to my city from Chicago
-The outdoors/hiking/cross-country skiing

Things I HATE:

-Traffic: Don't we all?
-Snobby people You may encounter this (in your opinion) if you wear your conservative opinions on your sleeve. You would certainly encounter it in my neighborhood and I live in Houston.
-Crime
-Nightclubs: they annoy me
-High-rises and new urbanism: they annoy me, too.
-Lots and lots of single people: see transience

I like all of these cities but I don't know if I'd like to live in them. Which city would be the best fit?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
none of the above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.