U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,780,000 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer. I've lived in a lot of places, from Chicago to the West Coast to the Deep South. Plus I've travelled on biz to dozens of cities, sometimes for weeks at a time.

So, reading some of these threads, I'm amazed at some posters describing how boring a city is. Now, I could understand if it's a one-horse town. But if it's a metro with more than 100,000, I've found that there's ALWAYS something interesting to do. Every town has museums, arts groups, entertainment, natural attractions, festivals, etc. I've just never been to a town of any size where there isn't SOMETHING worthwhile to do or see.

Yet, if you read some of these posters, you'd think that these places are vast cultural wastelands where nothing happens ever. Heck, I read one poster a few weeks ago who talked about how boring Chicago was. Pshaw.

All of this leads to my question. Is there really such a thing as a boring city? Or is it just a matter of laziness on the part of the person being bored?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:38 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,363,561 times
Welcome to city-data.com. The place where ignorant suburbinites love to post. You have people who travelled to a city's suburb, stayed at their grandma's house, had nothing to do but watch McGiver reruns, and then come to City-data.com to bash a city and how boring it was.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:40 AM

756 posts, read 1,697,339 times
I think this is a great thread. I really have to agree that some people are just destined to be bored at their own peril. Other than natural landscape and food options to a lesser extent, it is difficult to say a big city or large town is boring. If you want beaches, then you're going to be bored with Chicago. If you want mountains, you will be bored with Houston. If you want something besides concrete, you'll be bored with NYC. If you want great cajun food, you'll not find it outside of Louisiana or Texas.

But other than that, if you find yourself bored in a big city, it may very well be you and not the city.

I've had some great times in Chattanooga, TN of all places, to my utter surprise. Sure, SF, Boston, Houston, or Seattle is always a lot of fun, but smaller metros are fun if you are fun also.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,637,123 times
There are no boring cities. Just boring, pretentious clueless people.
When I describe a place as boring, I am usually describing the physical attributes and atmosphere such as the layout or architecture. Not what actually goes on in a city.
As far as activities go, if you go to any place over 100k people, there is something going on. You can always find some sort of bar, sporting event, or musical act to go see.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,780,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
I think this is a great thread. I really have to agree that some people are just destined to be bored at their own peril. Other than natural landscape and food options to a lesser extent, it is difficult to say a big city or large town is boring. If you want beaches, then you're going to be bored with Chicago. If you want mountains, you will be bored with Houston. If you want something besides concrete, you'll be bored with NYC. If you want great cajun food, you'll not find it outside of Louisiana or Texas.

But other than that, if you find yourself bored in a big city, it may very well be you and not the city.

I've had some great times in Chattanooga, TN of all places, to my utter surprise. Sure, SF, Boston, Houston, or Seattle is always a lot of fun, but smaller metros are fun if you are fun also.
Yep. Chattanooga's a great town.

We moved to Birmingham. Before we left, everybody said, "Oh, God, that has to be the most boring town ever." Yet we always have something going on, from a pretty good concert scene, to a seriously good ballet and symphony, to great restaurants, festivals, you name it. The only thing lacking here are real professional sports, but that's not a real problem.

Here's the thing. When I lived in Chicago there were all kinds of cultural events going on. The problem was access, because it was almost impossible to get a ticket. Here, I bought tickets to see Yo Yo Ma in April without a problem. I talked to a buddy in Chicago who said, "You're going to see Yo Yo Ma? I've been trying for years."

Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,226,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Welcome to city-data.com. The place where ignorant suburbinites love to post. You have people who travelled to a city's suburb, stayed at their grandma's house, had nothing to do but watch McGiver reruns, and then come to City-data.com to bash a city and how boring it was.
oh snap!

very true though. a lot has to do with the person'e experience in the city as well. if a person visited nyc and got shoved, insulted or hustled, he or she may probably not care for the city based on that experience. and trash talk it from then on...

Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,257,413 times
Different cities have different things to offer for people. For example: Miami could have everything that a person wants--beeches, warm weather, nightlife, etc. That same person may not like NYC because the weather is colder than Miami and they like the warm climate atmosphere. You never know.

I think there are more things to do in the bigger major cities. Someone who's from NYC or Chicago might find somewhere like Atlanta or Charlotte boring since it's smaller than where they come from, so therefore less things to choose from.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:18 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,363,561 times
^come on, I know your from NYC. I mentioned this yesterday. Anybody with a intellectural curiosity can find something to do in anytown. Hell, Altoona, PA can keep me entertained. I will go to the Railroad museum and check out old railroad engineering. That will keep my mind occupied for a while.

Because that old railroad engineering has helped transform society, and most intellectuals would find in interesting. Now if you go to it everyday..................................

Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,449,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Welcome to city-data.com. The place where ignorant suburbinites love to post..
I would also add plenty of ignorant urbanites to that list that think any place that isn't some ultra dense urban mecca like NYC, SF, Boston, Chicago, etc... is automatically boring and endless suburbia.

I think some people are just boring and lazy themselves and instead of putting in a little effort to go do something they want everything to come to them.

But it also has to do with one preferences in what they like to do. I LOVE hanging out at the beach all day and everyday, I could just go swimming and chill on the sand for 4-6 hours while others may find that boring. Even though I think its stupid some people think San Diego is boring and they can't find anything to do but if they don't like the beach some might think this city is boring with little to do. But even then there is plenty to do besides the beach here, apparently b/c we're not San Francisco or LA some people don't think we have museums and other cultural institutions even though our huge downtown park, Balboa Park, is filled with them along with a world class Zoo. I've always found something to do here and you kind of have to b/c of the weather is so nice 90% of the time you feel guilty if you stay inside during the day, sometimes I wish for a cool rainy day so I can stay inside and watch TV all day w/o feeling guilty. And a lot of times I miss out on all the festivals and events here just b/c I didn't make an effort to find out about them yet I still found plenty to do. Cities and experiences with them are pretty much what you make of them and if you like having fun you can have fun anywhere. Plus anywhere where there is a bar can be fun no matter what.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,716,650 times
Lol...well, I have to say that "Yes!" there are borring cities. For example not everyone actually likes anything to do with shopping at malls, going to overcrowded ghetto clubs, sliding their hands along nasty theme park rails, or any of the other "city" propaganda. I personally think almost every single city I have been to is borring outside of maybe the occasional once a month visit or so. Yes, I do now live in a metropolitan area, but I am well outside the city limits, and do not live in your typical 3/2/2 cookie cutter model home.

To me getting up and feeding the cattle, then checking the traps, "ranching" is great! Also I do have a job, actually more than one, but when spending time with my son, wife, family, and friends I much prefer the country. Fishing, water skiing, bonfires at night, grilling with the tail gates down, and 100's of acres to ride ATV, horses, tell ghost stories out in the woods, hunt, target shoot without having to answer to some stupid HOA, or the law. Small town community events ie: fairs, ballgames, rodeos, chili cook offs, crawfish boils, etc...while actually having somewhat of a feeling of intimacy (knowing people, and liking the majority of them). Honky tonks, and dirt roads rather than those silly overcrowded rap, hip hop, and techno clubs in the cities. Not that im a fighter, but people out here handle issues, where as people in the city would have a hard attack, and a law suit on you the second you knocked on their door asking where "Little Johnny" is because your gonna spank his tail and then punch his dad in the mouth a time or two for him being a heithern....lol.

Anyway, my point is, to MANY of us the city is absolutely BORRING! I like my freedom, and not the hustle bustle of traffic, and yuppies. Sad thing is I'll probably hear someone call me a redneck, or white trash for this view point. Maybe someone will even explain how us country folk are illiterate, or uneducated. Well, I've lived in both, and I can tell you that you may wanna take a look at my profile before you say something silly. Also I have come to realize that big money, and politics are truly born, and bread in the small country towns, and big ranches of Texas. Not the KB subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.