U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,204 times

Advertisements

Well Right now I live in Phoenix,AZ, but I despise this city.

I'm looking to move to a place where

Well before I say anymore maybe I should say this place doesn't necessarily have to be in the states, Canada would certainly work as well.

And the cheaper the better, I make my living via income online so if a place like I'm describing existed in a dirt cheap place like Africa that would work.

+It rains a good deal, I love cloudy weather and the rain dam Arizona

+I'd like a house in a rural area because I like having a good chunk of land (like half an acre+)

+ I want this rural area to be very close to a city though, preferably no more then a 20 minute drive from a major city of at least 250,000 people

+ The people should be extremely liberal and young (I'm single in my 20's ) looking for the kind of people who are vegetarians do yoga and meditate

+ On the flip side I'm a bit paranoid so lax gun laws would be nice, I'd like to be able to at least get a permit to conceal

+ I'd like the area to be below the national average in cost of living

+ Low Crime

+ Low taxes (for moderate incomes, I don't care if the place taxes the rich out the ass)

Idk I'm sure theirs probably no perfect combination of all this, but I'd like to hear some ideas outside the obvious.

And I know this is a US forum, but feel free to mention places outside the US to as long as they'll allow me to own some type of gun at least even if it's only a shotgun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 AM

1,779 posts, read 3,486,028 times
Well, if you want a gun you pretty much are confined to the US.

That being said, if you want a liberal area you might have trouble with the liberal/lax gun laws combo.

With the info you gave you migh want to look at Florida, particularly Central Florida. It rains A LOT in Florida in the summer (one of the wettest places in the US), you can get a decent rural property in Polk County not far from Orlando or Tampa (both of which are somewhat liberal), Florida does have pretty lax gun laws (the state is conservative, but you can find liberal cities) and taxes here aren't too bad (no income tax, but high property tax).

However, you did give some paradoxes.

Extremely liberal city with rural area nearby? Unlikely. The extremely liberal areas are all heavily urbanized.

Extremely liberal with lax gun laws? You'll have to find a liberal city in a conservative state for that to happen.

Again Central Florida is a good mix, another area you might want to look at is Austin, Texas. Liberal city in a conservative state, and since it's Texas, there'll be rural areas not too far away.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,045,063 times
Look at Fayetteville, Arkansas. Don't be scared by the fact it's in Arkansas, Fayetteville is a very liberal college town. It's in an extremely conservative state though so gun laws will be lax. It is safe and growing and will be as good for raising a family as it will be during your bar hopping years. I think it's nicer, ranier, and overall much more beautiful than Austin, TX.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,570,612 times
Columbus, Ohio might work.........lots and lots of young people, but not extremely liberal. Columbus is pretty liberal for the midwest, but the surrounding areas are move conservative.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 PM

756 posts, read 1,696,338 times
Portland, OR area. It is extremely rural surrounding the city, yet not far. Rains a lot as well. Also perhaps check out the rural areas just outside of Seattle, WA. Seems like these are the two obvious choices. If you're ok with getting to Seattle by ferry, your options are even larger.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,788,160 times
I'd second Portland. If you are willing to be 20 minutes in a rural area, you will find some cheaper areas (the city itself is not cheap though) and you will get PLENTY of rain!!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
Wait you want a liberal yet gun-friendly town? does that exist?

Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,202,596 times
Pacific Northwest. Big cities are real liberal but plenty of guns as you get more rural. I'm sure you could find somewhere that is a decent balance.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:34 PM

559 posts, read 1,608,213 times
what liberal likes guns?

Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM

481 posts, read 1,153,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
what liberal likes guns?
I am a liberal that likes guns. I just don't like gun crime and people killed by guns.

As per the question of where to live I would say the Pacific Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or