U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:45 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,714,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
Take a look at the Fort Smith region in western Arkansas, near the Oklahoma border. That is arguably the most conservative region in the entire country. I would say its more 1950s than 1980s but it is still old-fashioned American values. Life centers around church, family, and friends, and almost everybody votes Republican (and if you don't, you don't go around advertising it). Gays are not tolerated and mostly stay in the closet. Schools still have prayer and nobody challenges it. Sounds like a place you would find yourself at home in.
Wow! Thank you very much. That is more a place than the others that I would be interested in trying out. I almost moved to the Sallisaw area in the USCG once so I already know a little about the town, plus my cousins live in the Harrison Arkansas area. I love the weather in that state. I believe that the cost of living is very low there, and that you can buy a few acres, and a nice house for around $200K, not for sure. Are there hills, or mountains in that area? I know that there are Ozarks north of Conway, and stretching over to Fayetteville, but do they reach as far south as Fort Smith? Also how far is Tulsa, and how far is LR from there if anyone knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:47 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,187,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Don't worry, we REALLY don't want you...they should put all of you on an island somewhere so the rest of us can live the way we choose.
Ah, yes. Your choice is valid. His choice is not and thus he should be exiled. How inclusive of you.

Quote:
Absolutely not...Peachtree City is almost directly opposite what this person is wanting.

Maybe try a communist community...preferably one under a dictatorship so that no one can think or act freely. As far as I can tell, there isn't a place in the U.S. that fits your needs - we are supposed to have freedom to make choices and be ourselves, not be who someone thinks we should be.

The Aryan Nation is accepting applications for new members...
Oh shut up.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 PM

4,377 posts, read 3,145,148 times
Maybe the Alexandria, LA area. The city of Alexandria itself has some crime-ridden, dilapidated areas but the west side of the city and nearby towns such as Pineville are for the most part decent. This is a very conservative, religious area.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,803,075 times
Some of us may may find what the OP is saying here hugely objectionable but this country does protect Freedom of Speech and it exists for ALL, whether you agree with a person's opinions or not. As Voltaire said, "I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Old 01-14-2009, 03:47 PM

3,113 posts, read 6,495,871 times
Lubbock has a lot of diversity. We are about 45% white, 30% Hispanic, 10% black, 5% Asian, and 10% mixed race. There are over 100 nations represented here. It's not exactly a liberal haven, but it is a college town that went about 55/45 Republican.

Last edited by Westerner92; 01-14-2009 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-14-2009, 05:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,714,717 times
Quote:
Don't worry, we REALLY don't want you...they should put all of you on an island somewhere so the rest of us can live the way we choose.
Once again thanks for your brilliant input....I may have stated my opinion on what I prefer in a city, and my personal beliefs, but I have never said I do not believe everyone shouldn't have the right to their own, on the other hand you making remarks like "I heard the Aryan brotherhood is taking applications" is 100% ignorance, and borderline incriminating. My famile isn't steriotypical "white" and I have made it clear that outside of liberal thinking, modernism, sexual orientation, and religious belief that "race" meaning skin color, ethnic background have no bearing on my opinion of anything.

I deffinately feel like im getting dumber wasting my time going back and forth with you.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:44 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,540,797 times
If it is okay for a person to start a thread about living in an area that is "diverse," it is totally acceptable to start a thread about living in an area that is not so diverse.

I know that so called "progressive" is the theme of the day and politically correct but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people simply choose to live in more homogeneous areas because they feel more comfortable. There is NOTHING wrong with that as there is NOTHING wrong with those who choose to live in more diverse areas.

It is still a free country people and we are entitled to live our lives as we see fit as long as we don't injure or harm others. Perhaps those who disagree with the OP are not as "tolerant" as they would like to believe.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:44 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,685,459 times
Bossier City, La. (pop 64000). Old conservative values, family oriented, religious, low crime, hunting and fishing are the biggest pastimes here with water skiing and "PWC" being third. Just stay out of Shreveport to avoid crime.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,787,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
So, I've seen TONS of threads asking which city is ultra liberal, gay friendly, tech savy, diverse, hip-hop, etc.... I want to know which cities, or metro areas do you think would be best for someone looking for the exact opposite? A place where old values, ultra conservative beliefs, religion, low crime, and lack of diversity, as well as being an outdoorsy place is firsthand?

Other important factors but less than the ones above would be good weather, lack of "slum" like neighborhoods, and education. Here are a few that I have visited that may fit the bill, but I could be wrong........

1. Salt Lake City
2. Colorado Springs
3. Tulsa
4. Nashville
5. Lubbock
Nashville, Tulsa and Nashville didn't appear all that low crime to me when I visited them. Nor did they appear to be places full of educated folks.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:04 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,540,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Nashville, Tulsa and Nashville didn't appear all that low crime to me when I visited them. Nor did they appear to be places full of educated folks.
[LEFT] For population 25 years and over in Tulsa[/LEFT]
  • High school or higher: 84.4% (higher than LA)
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 28.3% (higher than LA)
  • Graduate or professional degree: 9.2% (higher than LA)
  • Unemployed: 5.4% (LOWER than LA)
  • Mean travel time to work: 18.6 minutes (MUCH lower than LA)

[LEFT] For population 25 years and over in Los Angeles[/LEFT]
  • High school or higher: 66.6% (pathetic)
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.5% (keep up, you're improving)
  • Graduate or professional degree: 9.1% (Lower than Tulsa)
  • Unemployed: 9.3% (ridiculous)
  • Mean travel time to work: 29.6 minutes (sucks)

I deliberately compared Tulsa to Los Angeles because of the "so-called" disparity in opinion between the two cities as one is conservative (Tulsa) and one is very liberal (LA). As you can see, Tulsa has a MUCH more educated population than LA, has lower unemployment, and less of a commute time to work. Any questions?

As for Nashville.

[LEFT] For population 25 years and over in Nashville-Davidson[/LEFT]
  • High school or higher: 81.1%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.7%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 10.0%
  • Unemployed: 5.3%
  • Mean travel time to work: 23.3 minutes

You may wish to reconsider your observation. Perhaps your opinion isn't based on education, but bias.

Last edited by Synopsis; 04-15-2009 at 05:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or