U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:50 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,715,042 times

Advertisements

So, I've seen TONS of threads asking which city is ultra liberal, gay friendly, tech savy, diverse, hip-hop, etc.... I want to know which cities, or metro areas do you think would be best for someone looking for the exact opposite? A place where old values, ultra conservative beliefs, religion, low crime, and lack of diversity, as well as being an outdoorsy place is firsthand?

Other important factors but less than the ones above would be good weather, lack of "slum" like neighborhoods, and education. Here are a few that I have visited that may fit the bill, but I could be wrong........

1. Salt Lake City
2. Colorado Springs
3. Tulsa
4. Nashville
5. Lubbock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
So, I've seen TONS of threads asking which city is ultra liberal, gay friendly, tech savy, diverse, hip-hop, etc.... I want to know which cities, or metro areas do you think would be best for someone looking for the exact opposite? A place where old values, ultra conservative beliefs, religion, low crime, and lack of diversity, as well as being an outdoorsy place is firsthand?

Other important factors but less than the ones above would be good weather, lack of "slum" like neighborhoods, and education. Here are a few that I have visited that may fit the bill, but I could be wrong........

1. Salt Lake City
2. Colorado Springs
3. Tulsa
4. Nashville
5. Lubbock
Yeah, those are all very nice cities that I have visited over the years and
liked. You could add Boise, Spokane and Omaha to that list as very nice cities as well that fit that criteria.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
Just to clarify, by lack of diversity do you mean you don't want many people of other races in your town, or just in terms of values/lifestyles, like there can be people of other backgrounds if they share your outlooks and values?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM

281 posts, read 540,083 times
Hell maybe?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,750,175 times
Not that I care one way or the other about such things, but Nashville wouldn't quite fit all that criteria. There's a good amount of diversity, a few slummy areas, and plenty of crime as well.
Springfield, MO would fit okay. It too has a handful of areas that aren't kept up so well, though, but certainly not on as big of a scale as some places.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,715,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Just to clarify, by lack of diversity do you mean you don't want many people of other races in your town, or just in terms of values/lifestyles, like there can be people of other backgrounds if they share your outlooks and values?

No, race is not the meaning I am using. Diversity in liberal thinking, and thinking in general. Ie: conservatism, strict religious values, etc, hard working attitude, rather than the alternative of each..... For example I'd place New Orleans possibly in because of the "god fearing" family values attitudes I've noticed there, but there is too much crime in my opinion.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM

56,614 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Maybe Sioux Falls SD, Fargo and Grand Forks in ND, Duluth MN, Bangor ME, Pocatello ID, Billings and Great Falls MT and Provo UT.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,271,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Hell maybe?
Some of those possible cities listed in the OP are in Hell's CSA....

Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,203,959 times
Green Bay WI
Duluth MN

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
No, race is not the meaning I am using. Diversity in liberal thinking, and thinking in general. Ie: conservatism, strict religious values, etc, hard working attitude, rather than the alternative of each..... For example I'd place New Orleans possibly in because of the "god fearing" family values attitudes I've noticed there, but there is too much crime in my opinion.
Thats good because I am very similar to your views except I'm simply of Asian descent. The poster who said Boise is definitely correct. Its very down to Earth, mostly middle class with no extremes of super wealth or poverty, the crime rate is very low and people are very friendly if you respect their way of life and not lecture them on how things should be. I used to have family out there. Geographically its located in a desert setting with a lot of sagebush (similar to Las Vegas...this surprises some people since Idaho is a Pacific Northwest state technically.) But it is a short drive to the mountains in central and northern Idaho and to Yellowstone and the Tetons. There is plenty of fly fishing, hunting and hiking opportunities in Idaho and the surrounding states. But even the desert has its own kind of beauty that many people appreciate and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or