Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 AM

880 posts, read 2,850,814 times

Advertisements

I would put Brooks GA on the list as well.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 AM

706 posts, read 1,236,797 times
Paintsville Kentucky--There are churches all over the place, the whole county is legally dry.

They still (as far as I know) have prayer at ballgames and graduation. The county is mostly republican, and even those who vote democrat are still church going conservatives for the most part.
Buying and trading guns is normal. Church revivals and events are advertised all over the local radio stations.

Most of the people still have good old fashioned family values. Whenever people visit there they are usually amazed at how different it is than the outside world.

If you just happened to see the ABC 20/20 special on Appalachia, don't let that scare you off, yes poverty is rampant there, but for the most part people look out for their neigbors.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,042,579 times
I think what rubs people the wrong way about this request, and why the OP is getting the responses he/she is getting, is the request for a town in which the social mores of 50 years ago are still in place. It is the assumption of the OP that the social mores of 50 years ago are across the board better than the social mores of today. A lot of people were wronged and oppressed by the social mores of the 40's and 50's, and those people feel a bit stung by the assumption that one would want to return to the era of racial oppression and gender inequality. That, my friends, is why not everyone looks fondly to the 'good old days'; they weren't 'good' for much of the country.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:02 AM

40 posts, read 75,443 times
Who wishes the 40th or 50th back, also wishes back the oppression of the coulored minority - The slavery was officially abolished but everyone knows that the american economy was in need of slave labor - factories, farms - anyway.

Also in those days not everyone had a car, and the disturbing influence of TV and video games was less, so the society came more together automatically.

I doubt that these conservative rural communities are the paradies on earth, I was raised in one in Germany ...

Yes people know each other and often several generaltions live in the same town or area, but it´s not all shining if you look under the surface.
Especially the alcohol, but also the drug abuse is per capita higher than in big cities, the youth is bored and look TV or play play station and PC- games as well as in the cities.
Our generation (only about 20 years ago) was more outdoors, we played in the woods, on the farms and then soccer on a not very plain playground, but I think that in the cities it wasn´t much different.

Now in my home village almost all of the farmers have given up und the youths have a livestyle similar to that in the cities. I don´t think that in america it´s very different, cause most of the social developments in Germany have its origin in America.

If you wish the 40th or 50th in rural america back, you also must wish back the former small farm culture, but I think that it´s already (not completely) gone with the agribuisiness and the individual life style ...

Old 03-06-2009, 02:18 AM

40 posts, read 75,443 times
So my opinion is:

Conservative rural communities in america are only on the surface somewhat like in the past

And if someone like Mrs. Sawyer take the spotlight on the (half- hidden) shadows in this communities, many of their residents already get insane and deny the problems, though they know it very well.

This is a phenomia in rural communities all over the world.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,971 times

The desire to find a pleasant home in a friendly, dear little town where people treat one another with respect, dignity and kindness as they try to create an environment where these values can be modeled and taught by example to their children is certainly a noble pursuit. Of course, we live in a fallen world where people don’t always behave with love toward others, so there can be no perfect place, but we can control ourselves and ought to try to bring goodwill and cheer in every way we can. Looking for the right house in the right place is one approach to beginning a new life but, if following Christ is the reason you mention churches, then you need to ask the Lord to lead you to the church He has called you to (research them!) and wherever that is, that is the town for you, regardless of its political persuasion. God led the Apostle Paul many places on his road of service, including to the debates on Mars Hill with the Greek philosophers, where sophistry ruled their worldview, identical to the skeptical worldview of today’s progressives. Be open to God’s will; seek Him and He will fulfill this promise: “The steps of a righteous man are ordered by the Lord,” (Psalms 37:23) for He says, “I know the plans I have for you; plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11). Godspeed as God leads!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:41 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,459,115 times
Preston, Idaho might be a possibility. It's known for "Napoleon Dynamite" but it seems to be a fairly Republican town in a Republican county.

http://www.city-data.com/elec2/elec-PRESTON-ID.html#08

The only non-Republican donation I recognize is to Lyndon LaRouche.

Perryton, Texas I believe has the majority of the population of Ochiltree County and Ochiltree is one of the most solidly Republican counties in the nation. (This was not true before Eisenhower, Ochiltree I think went for FDR and Truman in a big way) I see some donations to Democrats in Perryton's list, but I think listing one town's is maybe enough. Still I'll link to their city-data page. Interestingly Perryton has a place in the Spelling Bee documentary "Spellbound", which I only mention because I liked the movie very much and it's the only thing I've seen mention this town.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Perryton-Texas.html

Orange City, Iowa is in one of the most Republican counties in the nation and has a pretty low rate of "unmarried partner households." They have a strong Christian college, but when I looked it up it seems to be a pro-environment one in case that's a deal-breaker. (Yes Iowa as a whole is moderately liberal, but the northwest part of Iowa appears to be more conservative)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Orange-City-Iowa.html

Beaver, Oklahoma is in one of the most Republican counties in the nation. It's as small enough as places I've lived in though, under 1400, so might be too small.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Beaver-Oklahoma.html

Kanab, Utah passed some resolution about the nature of the family. As I recall it's in a county that hasn't went for the Democratic candidate for President since the 1930s. (Their US Congressional Representative is Democratic though) The town does seem to have some Obama supporters.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kanab-Utah.html

Cook Partisan Voting Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections
President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Last edited by Thomas R.; 08-19-2009 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: taking out the larger ones

Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
Maybe Mountain Home, Arkansas? That place literally scared the crap out of me.

Last edited by Bo; 10-03-2009 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: No edits, just closing the thread due to recurrent off-topic arguing in some deleted posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.