U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California coast cities or Florida coast cities?
Los Angeles 11 19.64%
Miami 9 16.07%
San Francisco 16 28.57%
Tampa 6 10.71%
Oakland 0 0%
San Diego 11 19.64%
San Jose 0 0%
Orlando 1 1.79%
Sacremento 2 3.57%
Tallahasee 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,226,080 times

Advertisements

Florida coast cities or California coast cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,485,674 times
Uhhh... Orlando, Tallahassee and Sacramento aren't coastal.

I'll vote for Tampa though. SJ and SD are runner's up. Why? Because those three cities haven't got themselves into the mess that LA, Miami and Oakland have. San Fran is nice, but I can't stand cold and fog.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 AM

102 posts, read 272,300 times
I like SanFran but way too expensive. The weather is always cooler there but you don't have to go far to find warm weather if you want a day in the sun. 1-2 hours away and temperatures and wind chill change considerably in the summer and fall monthes. Oakland is cheaper than SanFran and you don't have the inconvenience of the bridge.

Tampa is ok in my opinion but it seems to be lacking in some aspects and it is too humid, sticky and swampy in Florida. Is Tampa coastal? Florida is so narrow that any city seems to be coastal to me.

Miami has the extremes....the very rich and the very poor kind of like certain parts of California. Also, it is way too hot and humid and hurricanes come up that way every hurricane season. There are communities of transvestites(spelling?), cross dressers and sexually colorful people there and if you like that it is a good place to be if you can afford it.

I prefer bigger cities that are surrounded by highly developed cities with lots of exciting young and alive people and I am not all that young.

I prefer a place that is considered industrial in the manufacturing and production aspect to create full time blue collar jobs with benefits and decent pay.(unlike the recently created service and retail jobs created in Florida)
Strong teamsters are always good to have around.

Have diversitiy, variety, and lots of things to do...zoos(not petting zoos), real museums, parks for kids, bike trails, recreational centers, selection of gyms, YMCAs, arcades, diverse mallls, and genuine authentic restaurants(not Canadians or Minnesota running a "tropical" restaurant like here) and places alike Chucky Cheeses for kids.

Prefer lots of medical offices to choose from and metropolitian pulic transportation for the young and elderly. 80-100 year old people should not be driving around like in some place I know of.

I highly appreciate sidewalks unlike in Florida. Also, wider interstates throughout(not 2 lanes one way).

I want schools that take the initiative in problem solving rather than use the parents as the ultimate excape goats for the school's lack of options, lack of skills and qualifications, lack of organized special education, and lack of funding. Also, prefer colleges nearby that offer free(with the school's scholarships) introductory classes and entry courses to high schools students on the honor roll like in SanFran and Oakland.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:54 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,714,907 times
Yea, this poll doesn't work....1/2 of these cities are not on the coast. I don't think an hour and a half drive to the beach qualifies. Tallahasse, but no Jacksonville?????...lol. Hmm.....

Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 PM

23,075 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Yea, this poll doesn't work....1/2 of these cities are not on the coast. I don't think an hour and a half drive to the beach qualifies. Tallahasse, but no Jacksonville?????...lol. Hmm.....
Yes, technically none of these FL cities are 'coastal'...Tampa and Miami are on bays, and the rest are inland.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 PM

43,858 posts, read 44,603,876 times
Can I pick a town that isn't on the list? I still think St Augustine, Florida has one of the most beautiful coastal state park and is such a beautiful place.

Overall, I think the coast line in California is much more dramatic than Florida, but the water and sand isn't as beautiful.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,714,907 times
I also like St. Augustine, and I do think that the California coastal cities are better looking. I also like the Miane, and Oregon costal towns...very pretty. Only think is the hotter the better in my book so I say Florida.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:33 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,226,080 times
guys when I made this post I just wrote that to get people's attention

Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,787,755 times
San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Carmel are preferable (to me) than any city in Florida.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM

23,075 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Carmel are preferable (to me) than any city in Florida.
My thought exactly...Naples and Sarasota would be my faves in FL, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.