U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,382,730 times

Advertisements

Alot of these places are skipping MANY miles of rural area to reach some of these so called suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM

56,608 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I remember I ran into some people who even said Cortland (where I went to school) was a suburb of Syracuse.
It's not even in the actual metro area. Syracuse's metro includes Onondaga, Madison, Oswego and usually Cayuga counties. Even though Cortland County gets much of their media and things of that nature from the Syracuse area, it isn't a part of a metro. I know Ithaca is now considered a metro area, but I'm not sure if it includes Cortland County.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:10 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
You can figure out exactly how far out the farthest suburb is...choose a suburb and put both the main city and suburb in mapquest...

Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 PM

3,507 posts, read 7,314,024 times
Chicagol metro

In my opinion, anything that is 45-50 miles within reach of Chicago is a suburb. This just my opinion, but its probably further than that.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,903,922 times
St. Louis' suburbs go out pretty much 40 miles in all directions, and they are still expanding today. Urbanization of rural areas has been occuring quite rapidly for the past ten years.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,187,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I remember I ran into some people who even said Cortland (where I went to school) was a suburb of Syracuse.
Like ckhthankgod said, Cortland is not a suburb of Syracuse. Cortland is south of Syracuse. There are no large suburban areas south of Syracuse. The suburbs are all to the north, east or west of the city.

Syracuse's suburbs extend roughly 9 or 10 miles to the west, 10 or 11 miles to the north, and 9 or 10 miles to the east.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,160,814 times
I'm from New Jersey & I don't think the NYC Metro extends all the way to Trenton. Do people commute from there? Sure. However, everyday, normal activities for someone in Trenton do not consist of shopping, dining & cavorting in NYC.
The NYC Metro is completely skewed & unrepresentative of everyday life & the real actions of a "Metro Area".

Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 PM

7,392 posts, read 10,070,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Reading Comprehension..."reads carefully for understanding the text".

Atlanta suburbs don't extend 100 miles out...I didn't say that. What I said was - "Metro Atlanta is plus-or-minus 100 miles across", and I even listed the furthest suburbs in each direction. Atlanta doesn't "get rural" until you're out of Atlanta...again, this is simply a matter of having an understanding of the terminology URBAN, SUBURBAN, RURAL.
I grew up in Meriwether County, GA (location of Manchester). It was added to the Atlanta metro area sometime in this last decade for who knows what reason. It is about as rural as you can get.

I know commuting to work patterns are one of the criteria. With the lack of employment opportunities in Meriwether, a number would commute into Coweta county for employment. As Coweta is part of the Atlanta MSA, that is the only reason I would see where they came up with that reasoning.

I know far more people in Meriwether that commute to LaGrange and would imagine that most commuters in Manchester, at the furthest southern end of the county would be going to Columbus which is only 39 miles away.

You can hold fast to a statistcal abstraction, but Meriwether is by no means anything close to being suburban. By this MSA classification alone could it even be considered exurban.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,121,162 times
Buckeye to Phoenix (from west to downtown) - 37 miles
Anthem to Phoenix (from north to downtown) - 31 miles
Gold Camp to Phoenix (from east to downtown) - 37 miles
Maricopa to Phoenix (from south to downtown) -27 miles

So all in all, the Phoenix metro extends for about 74 miles from the west to the east, 58 miles from the north to the south. 74 x 58 = 4292 square miles.

In Tucson:

The "suburbs" spread about 10 miles to the west of downtown (primarily to the southeast), 29 miles to due south of downtown (with some gaps), about 20 miles to the southeast of Tucson, and about 24 miles due north to Catalina (with no interruptions). So at its longest and widest points, Tucson stretches about 30 miles west to east and 53 miles north to south. 53 x 30 = 1590 square miles.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,238,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Like ckhthankgod said, Cortland is not a suburb of Syracuse. Cortland is south of Syracuse. There are no large suburban areas south of Syracuse. The suburbs are all to the north, east or west of the city.

Syracuse's suburbs extend roughly 9 or 10 miles to the west, 10 or 11 miles to the north, and 9 or 10 miles to the east.

I thought so. It gets rural pretty fast outside of Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or