U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I grew up in Meriwether County, GA (location of Manchester). It was added to the Atlanta metro area sometime in this last decade for who knows what reason. It is about as rural as you can get.

I know commuting to work patterns are one of the criteria. With the lack of employment opportunities in Meriwether, a number would commute into Coweta county for employment. As Coweta is part of the Atlanta MSA, that is the only reason I would see where they came up with that reasoning.

I know far more people in Meriwether that commute to LaGrange and would imagine that most commuters in Manchester, at the furthest southern end of the county would be going to Columbus which is only 39 miles away.

You can hold fast to a statistcal abstraction, but Meriwether is by no means anything close to being suburban. By this MSA classification alone could it even be considered exurban.
I just went by the Census Bureau information...it was the only way to honestly answer the question in this thread. I've never been to Meriwether County, so I can't really say anything about it that isn't a published statistic. I agree - 68 miles is a looooong way to commute...it must included be due to its relationship with the southern part of Metro Atlanta. I doubt there are too many people doing the daily commute from Manchester to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 02:53 PM

880 posts, read 2,529,379 times
There are some people I knew who commuted from Gay GA in Meriwether County to Atlanta via Highway 85. Also knew a few who commuted from Gainesville GA and even from Chattanooga TN (though not a whole lot).

Old 03-04-2009, 03:27 PM

38 posts, read 103,731 times
I live in CT about 35 miles from NYC and the farthest areas in the metro area are in PA which are about 85 miles from Manhattan and some areas way up in Connecticut, around Waterbury are about 70 miles or so from Manhattan and people commute to NY from these places3

Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,561,256 times
Minneapolis - St. Paul MSA:
West to East: Cokato to Woodville: 101 miles
North to South: Braham to Northfield: 114 miles

Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM

28 posts, read 32,523 times
That depends on what you consider as suburbs. The metro area here claims places as far away as 22 miles, but that would include a lot of rural areas in-between. If contiguous urban sprawl is your definition, then probably 12 to 15 miles from the center.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:14 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The furthest exurbs of Metro Atlanta are:
(distance from central Downtown Atlanta)

North - Jasper, GA...Pickens County: 62 miles
South - Manchester, GA...Meriwether County: 68 miles
East - Winder, GA...Barrow County: 50 miles
West - Bowdon, GA...Carroll County: 64 miles

So, Metro Atlanta is plus-or-minus 100 miles across...
?? Manchester? Bowdon? Those areas are dozens of miles away from suburban development. Manchester is miles and miles from any sort of urban area. It's forest for 20 miles to the north towards Atlanta. Peachtree city is less than half the distance south and that's pretty much "out there" as far as one of the more southern urban areas of the metro.

Not saying Atlanta isn't huge and very sprawled, but those towns are literally just towns out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM

302 posts, read 591,517 times
Continuous development ends about nine miles from downtown for me.

I grew up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, so the idea that every town wasn't separated from it's nearest neighbor by miles of forest hadn't even occurred to me until I was almost ready to start college.
I was kind of surprised to find out that towns, cities and suburbs just kind of merging into each other was the norm in a lot of places.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,982,537 times
Depends on how you define it. There are country towns around here that are for all intents and purposes 'suburban'.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 AM

634 posts, read 1,209,140 times
I would say New York has the most active commuters from the furthest away places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It gets rural pretty fast outside of Atlanta.
Have you been here before? You can drive up to 45 mins in either direction from the city center and not be in rural area. Beyond that of course it gets rural...every state has rural areas. So to say its gets rural fast in Atlanta is completely absurd!!

You must have meant Charlotte where you can be in vast farmland just 10 mins from their city center????

Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,076,844 times
If you look at Google Maps and look at Brussels Belgium, a city of 1.1 million people, its amazing how fast Rural Areas and Farmland start, its like 4-5 miles in some directions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or