Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
You never know who to side with, right? You "love" New Mexico So much.., didnt you even say you would love to live there, and all the bull**** nonsence you said, the fact is.. your lost.
First off, learn sentence structure and proper spelling/grammar, your posts give me a headache. Secondly, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I like New Mexico or not, but rather think its NAME is not appealing. Bradly, did you not notice the thread title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 PM

142 posts, read 358,244 times
Great question !

I like the sound of:

Hawaii
Montana

Dislike:

Arkansas

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
I think the problem with this thread is everyone already has biases and connotations attached to each state name, which taints their subjectivity. With that said:

Best:
California
Maryland
Washington
Georgia
The Carolinas
New Jersey
Colorado

Worst:
Illinois
Wisconsin
New Hampshire
Arkansas
Utah
Oklahoma
Iowa
Ohio

Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Worst state name is Arkansas. Sounds like sandpaper to my ears. And the worst sounding city name I've ever heard is Schenectady. That grates in my ears just as much as Ourkansaw.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Favorite: Massachusetts

Worst: people who pronounce it Mass-a-two-****s

Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM

54 posts, read 97,178 times
I guess I'd have to say my favorites are the Carolinas, Georgia, California, Florida & Alabama.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Favorite: Massachusetts

Worst: people who pronounce it Mass-a-two-****s
Mass-ive-two-t*ts?

Old 01-28-2009, 03:07 PM

362 posts, read 1,855,992 times
I've often thought about this myself.

Best:
Vermont
Massachusetts
Maryland
The Carolinas
Minnesota
The Dakotas
Colorado
Montana
Nevada
Alaska

Worst:
Illinois (ill-annoy)
Arkansas (kansas rip-off)
Missouri (misery)
Kansas (just doesn't sound good)

Old 01-28-2009, 04:03 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
I tend to like the feminine states as well, the feminine Latin suffix, either an A or IA can take a humdrum place name and make it sound so much nicer. George, boring. Georgia, nice.

Somewhat related to this but slightly off subject, Spanish place names always sound much nice than their English counterparts. Boca Raton sounds so much nicer than Mouth of Rat.

Something about the North and South prefix diminishes the niceness of the word Dakota. I don't know why I don't feel that about the Carolinas other than I know the Carolinas and the differences that make NC and SC unique, whereas I've never been to the Dakotas.

Idaho has to be the worst, don't know why Congress had a love affair with that name, tried to pawn it off on other western territories as well. Why does this nice place deserve this name? Why couldn't they come up with something apt that would fit like its neighbor Montana, one of my favorite state names?

Illinois. The words ill and annoy rolled together.

Massachusettes. See that others like this one, just never liked it. Maybe this goes back to spelling tests.

State names that don't end in an A that I like:

Vermont
New Hampshire
Michigan
Colorado

State names that end in A that I still don't like:
Minnesota
Pennsylvania (like the sylvania ending, just don't like it together with the Penn)

Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 PM

469 posts, read 2,736,342 times
The 'forn' in California is just not appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.