U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times

Advertisements

This thread topic is related somewhat to that created by jtur88. That is, "Best Looking state shapes". And I extend proper credit to the OP of that one!

Anyway, which state name, in your opinion, sounds most pleasing to the ears? It doesn't make any difference -- for the purpose of this thread -- whether one "likes" the state in question or not. Just if it -- to you -- is lyrical, lovely, pleasing, etc. By the same token, on the flip side, which ones sound harsh, short, unimaginative, etc, in your opinion...yet not saying one wouldn't adapt to it fine?

For instance, I could never live in Massachusetts. The culture is so radically different from Texas/South as to that I would probably feel in a foriegn country. BUT? I DO like the name of the state from an aesthetic point of view. The opposite example is that I am almost certain I would adapt just fine in Georgia. A beautiful state, and the Ray Charles song of the same name is right up there on my top all time song lists! But...never thought the name of the state itself particularly reflective of the wonderful things about it.

IMHO, as a general rule, the states which have directional content (North this, or South that) are the least appealing. With certain exceptions by virtue of the later offsetting designation. North Carolina is a good example, simply because "Carolina" has a nice ring to it. On the other hand, South Dakota just sounds too harsh.

Ok, enough rambling on my part. Since I started it, I will go first (and BTW --I am personally going to leave my native state of Texas out of it! *grins*).

Top Five Most Pleasing:

1. Alabama (no one hard syllable...but three which harmonize. Rolls well off the tongue. Lots of repititive lovely "A's in it).
2. Massachussets (perhaps that old BeeGees song by the same name influences me here! LOL).
3. Colorado (like Alabama. The phonetic spacing of repititive vowels and consonents. Or maybe, like with Massachusetts above, it connects to a song. "Rocky Mountain High" LOL).
4. Mississippi (I think part of the appeal on this one is that in the South we tend to pronounce it "Miss'sippi)
5. South Carolina (The two just seem to sound good together)

Five Least Pleasing:

1. Utah
2. New Jersey
3. Maine
4. North Dakota
5. Idaho

What say y'all? And re-emphasizing the intent is not to disparage any state nor coorelate with ones you personally like/dislike. Just from the aspect of phonetics!

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-15-2009 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM

23,085 posts, read 35,035,900 times
I tend to prefer the more alliterative names...Massachusetts, Mississippi, Minnesota...
And there's always something that makes me want to emphasize the 'we' in Louisiana.."LAWEEEEEZEANNA!"
And Rodgers and Hammerstein made me love OOOOOOOOOOKLAHOMA, where the wind comes whippin' down the plain.
And poor Maine got cheated out of its' fair share of syllables.
And we won't even discuss Idaho. Tragic.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 AM

1,367 posts, read 2,917,415 times
I would say most appealing is Virginia. Just like the old-fashion tones it brings out. Least, and I love the Tigers, but Missouri. Sounds to much like Misery. Were they trying to tell us something in a hidden message? I kid, never been there, go Tigers!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 AM

701 posts, read 1,768,027 times
Colorado sounds hot. Nebraska worst.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 AM

403 posts, read 1,043,648 times
Any state with a female name is appealing to me.

Carolina
Virginia
Georgia
Florida
Louisiana

How is Jersey not appealing to you?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
How is Jersey not appealing to you?
*considers* I really don't know. It just doesn't. It is not harsh or anything, exactly...

I'll have to think on that one to articulate it better. And of course, we CAN all change our opinions based on those of our fellows, right?

Something to mention though, which I think many might agree with. Our own dialects and accents undoubtably play a large role in which sound most/least pleasing to the ears. Both what we say and what we hear.

For example -- and a true paradox IMHO -- my g/f pronounces the name of her native state (Colorado) -- which she loves as much as I do Texas -- in a way which I would not have included on my top five if I did it the same way. She says something like "Call-O-Rah-Doe (except much faster and blended than I could). Where to me it is a softer "kaawl-uh-rawh-duh"

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-15-2009 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
I think almost all are very nice. Here are the ones I do NOT like:
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Kansas
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
New York
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Wisconsin

It's a sort of an opera-singer preference. Those are the names that seem to lack a boldness and purity of syllabic sound that would make them hard to fit into a libretto. Most, in fact, are rarely used inm the lyrics of American songs, largely for that reason.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM

2,857 posts, read 5,989,901 times
Not so nice . . . TexAS

Moderator cut: one letter

Last edited by Bo; 01-29-2009 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate

Old 01-15-2009, 12:47 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
One's i don't find so appealing

Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, Kentucky, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, West Virginia

Old 01-15-2009, 05:59 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
Best:
Michigan
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Virginia
Maryland
The Dakotas
Colorado
California
Nebraska

Worst:
Ohio
Iowa
Utah
Mississippi
Tennessee
Texas
Maine
New York
New Jersey
Illinois
Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or