U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 16,347 times

Advertisements

Most cities and towns on the East Coast from Maine to Florida have their fair share of preppies. NYC has a lot but people also tend to be very hip and trendy, same can be said for the Hamptons. I have relatives in the South Hills area of Charleston, WV and I was shocked at how snobby and preppy it is there, but after some research that is arguably one the richest areas in West Virginia. At the end of the day everywhere has its share of preppy and pretentious people, both old and new money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Much of Virginia (not NOVA) is really preppy.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:32 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,684,676 times
Love preppy! Always in good taste.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:46 AM

346 posts, read 757,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Much of Virginia (not NOVA) is really preppy.
This is true, especially in central and southern Virginia. Hampden Sydney, Washington and Lee, Sweetbriar and UVA are all considered some of the most preppy colleges in the nation. Virginia prep is southern prep such as madras, seersucker, bowties, ralph lauren oxfords, boat shoes/loafers with no socks,blue blazers at football games and going out.

Here is an article focusing on preppy in Virginia, discussing everything from single sex boarding schools, seersucker summer suits, fox hunting, cotilions, and how even the old Virginia accent sounds preppy.

Forever Prep - VirginiaLiving.com

Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 PM

161 posts, read 181,105 times
As far as the southeast goes, I'd say Charleston SC is the preppiest. Then i'd say Richmond, Atlanta, Charlotte. I've always found DC and Boston to be very preppy as well.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM

425 posts, read 285,491 times
There are definite differences in cities around the country. Boston is very preppy.

In my experiences, most cities/areas in the Northeast (not just the megalopolis), the young white folk are more urban (edge ups, fitted hats, chains, boots, etc.) than pretty much any other part of the US. Basically, a lot more "bros" or "frat" types.

Whereas out West, young white males I tend to see more skater types, hipsterish types.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:27 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,648,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I know the term traditionally applies to towns in the northeast such as Nantucket.

All cities will have different kinds of people. But try to rank the following cities according to their preppyness:

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
San Diego
Denver
Austin
Dallas
Chicago
New York City
Boston

Add other major cities if you like.

There was some similar threads like this here of what is worse city people dress you know sloppy or rough looking but look a city is like a country it has all types . Cities are big !!

I don't think there is any poll or proper research that looks at cities and do a study on how people dress and look.

I know Seattle has a lot of punk and gothic and San Francisco and Portland have a lot of hippies but all cities have its punk ,gothic , hippies , pod-head look, druggie look ,prepyy , yappy and sloppy and rough look so on.

So I think far to say all cities have all types of looks.

It true down-town have more prepy and yappy people than the suburbs but like all down-town there are punk ,gothic ,homeless ,pod-head look, druggies and people that just not care so on.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
As far as the southeast goes, I'd say Charleston SC is the preppiest. Then i'd say Richmond, Atlanta, Charlotte. I've always found DC and Boston to be very preppy as well.

You saying those cities are way more preppy than cities in Canada even Toronto?

Toronto has its preppy , yappy and hipsters in the down-town area . Out of the down-town in the suburbs its the casual look.I have seen people wear pajama pants out on walk ,run or too the local store.

I never seen that in any of the cities with a lot of hispanics do to the hispanic culture they dress up .

Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,288,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
You saying those cities are way more preppy than cities in Canada even Toronto?

Toronto has its preppy , yappy and hipsters in the down-town area . Out of the down-town in the suburbs its the casual look.I have seen people wear pajama pants out on walk ,run or too the local store.

I never seen that in any of the cities with a lot of hispanics do to the hispanic culture they dress up .
I notice that The 'preppy' look doesn't really exist in Canada...they don't really have that subculture up there

You see that preppy look definitely more in the u.s east coast and South, not as big in the West, where it definitely is more hipster or 'jeans' casual, I can't consider any western us city as 'preppy' really, except MAYBE some parts of Orange County

Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I notice that The 'preppy' look doesn't really exist in Canada...they don't really have that subculture up there

You see that preppy look definitely more in the u.s east coast and South, not as big in the West, where it definitely is more hipster or 'jeans' casual, I can't consider any western us city as 'preppy' really, except MAYBE some parts of Orange County
The preppy look or hipster look is more in the down town area. Where the suburb is more casual look and gyme look or walk ,run or around the house so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or