U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,239,562 times
Reputation: 1430

Advertisements

Since the vast majority of well-off people in the New Orleans area attend private schools, New Orleans is a preppy place. I went to prep school and a private college, and though I can still be found in a polo shirt and shorts, I was always more into the soccer-playing pothead aesthetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 1,649,904 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Since the vast majority of well-off people in the New Orleans area attend private schools, New Orleans is a preppy place. I went to prep school and a private college, and though I can still be found in a polo shirt and shorts, I was always more into the soccer-playing pothead aesthetic.
What do you mean ? Last time I check most people in New Orleans are very poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,853 posts, read 7,641,821 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What do you mean ? Last time I check most people in New Orleans are very poor.
That's why he said "the vast majority of well-off people", so even though New Orleans is poor, the rich people there act preppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
797 posts, read 1,160,362 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Since the vast majority of well-off people in the New Orleans area attend private schools, New Orleans is a preppy place. I went to prep school and a private college, and though I can still be found in a polo shirt and shorts, I was always more into the soccer-playing pothead aesthetic.
I dont think attending private school is a good indicator of being preppy especially since most of the private schools in the New Orleans area are attended by middle class and working class people. But I guess when you look at those extra expensive schools, then they will probably be preppy (which is likely true for most cities). But your post has a "joking" feel to it, so I dont really know if you are serious.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 09-22-2012 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 11:16 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
797 posts, read 1,160,362 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What do you mean ? Last time I check most people in New Orleans are very poor.
The poster also said the New Orleans area where most people are not poor. Also most people in New Orleans proper are not very poor but some are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
2,311 posts, read 4,239,562 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I dont think attending private school is a good indicator of being preppy especially since most of the private schools in the New Orleans area are attended by middle class and working class people. But I guess when you look at those extra expensive schools, then they will probably be preppy (which is likely true for most cities). But your post has a "joking" feel to it, so I dont really know if you are serious.
No, I wasn't joking. I went to the school on banks...a pretty preppy place. There's a reason that Perlis has been around for a bajillion years. Seriously, how many cities our size have their own brand of polo shirts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
797 posts, read 1,160,362 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
No, I wasn't joking. I went to the school on banks...a pretty preppy place. There's a reason that Perlis has been around for a bajillion years. Seriously, how many cities our size have their own brand of polo shirts?
Jesuit? Some of the private schools will be preppy but most of them dont really seem that preppy. I thought Perlis was for all those Tulane students. But I doubt most people would consider New Orleans one of the most preppy cities. Also I dont think polo shirts are just for preppy people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,640 times
Reputation: 10
Did anyone mention Pleasanton,CA?
Its one of the most affluent towns in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,449 times
Reputation: 10
Default Hi

I'm a prep. I'm from the Upper East Side(I hope you know where that is), currently I live in the West End of Henrico, VA. Every one in the West End drives a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Porsche, Lexus & Infiniti as well, but not so much. I do not dress very flashy but i like the classics, Ralph Lauren etc... Although, every once in a while i will go to a nice restaurant with family or my girlfriend & will bring out the flashy "Money" Suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,356 posts, read 2,296,445 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_DRHS View Post
I'm a prep. I'm from the Upper East Side(I hope you know where that is), currently I live in the West End of Henrico, VA. Every one in the West End drives a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Porsche, Lexus & Infiniti as well, but not so much. I do not dress very flashy but i like the classics, Ralph Lauren etc... Although, every once in a while i will go to a nice restaurant with family or my girlfriend & will bring out the flashy "Money" Suit.
That's a suburb of Richmond. And everyone definitely does not drive those cars you mentioned.

Does Richmond even have a Ralph Lauren store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top