U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 PM

550 posts, read 1,973,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
1. Salt Lake City
2. Everywhere else.
What in the world do you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 01:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
1. Salt Lake City
2. Everywhere else.
Maybe you have a different definition of preppy.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,138,512 times
MOST OF CT & MA
San Diego
Denver
Long Island

Old 01-16-2009, 02:17 PM

718 posts, read 2,117,923 times
You people havent seen preppy unless youve been to Greenwich and Darien

Old 01-16-2009, 02:18 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,007,230 times
http://www.bataviastad.nl/media_items/brand/124/campaign/BS%20_%20Polo%20Ralph%20Lauren%201.JPG?1210911732 (broken link)

If you mean like this, the young yet upscale, play polo, sip English tea attire ...

I'd say predominately yes the industrial Northeast (Boston, CT, NY) and out west, CA (San Diego, L.A., Santa Barbara, Orange County) & Seattle.

Though you'll find a good few in Phoenix, SLC and South Carolina, D.C., Florida and any affluent city/college town as well.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post

If you mean like this, the young yet upscale, play polo, sip English tea attire ...

I'd say predominately yes the industrial Northeast (Boston, CT, NY) and out west, CA (San Diego, L.A., Santa Barbara, Orange County) & Seattle.

Though you'll find a good few in Phoenix, SLC and South Carolina, D.C., Florida as well.
Out west? Really? People out there tend to dress trendy. Or they're skater & surfer types

Old 01-16-2009, 02:24 PM

2,015 posts, read 5,007,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Out west? Really? People out there tend to dress trendy. Or they're skater & surfer types
Both I mean hollywood IS out west and generally the trendstarter, if you've been to for example Montecito you'll see quite a few wearing the latest fashion, driving sports cars, etc. (there is a polo course near there) and just 5 minutes away in Santa Barbara you can go to the beach and see kids in baggy pants, cap backwards, etc. though I am still contemplating on the term "preppy", if it's about heavy, expensive clothing (coats, suits, etc), places such as CA, FL don't really have a need for such and it doesn't become "trendy", thus I might have to narrow it down to the NorthEast, D.C. and Seattle in that case.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Both I mean hollywood IS out west and generally the trendstarter, if you've been to for example Montecito you'll see quite a few wearing the latest fashion, driving sports cars, etc. (there is a polo course near there) and just 5 minutes away in Santa Barbara you can go to the beach and see kids in baggy pants, cap backwards, etc. though I am still contemplating on the term "preppy", if it's about heavy, expensive clothing (coats, suits, etc), places such as CA, FL don't really have a need for such and it doesn't become "trendy", thus I might have to narrow it down to the NorthEast, D.C. and Seattle in that case.
Not necessarily coats. Maybe a Ralpha Lauren, Lacoste or Vineyard Vines Polo, some Khaki pants or shorts, and some Loafers or Sperrys. I just think of that style as more East Coast and down South.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,124,741 times
As far as San francisco being "preppy" sure, I guess it is to a certain extent, as is any other city.

The most preppy area in SF would have to be the Marina district, land of yuppies, frat boys, and the infamous "marina girls" (think trust fund Paris Hilton Types).

One thing I've noticed about SF is that it tends to be transplants who are the most preppy/yuppified. They love neighborhoods such as the aforementioned Marina, as a well as a few other affluent ones. As far as actual SF natives go, the preppy thing isn't really followed, at least not to the extent that it would label SF a "preppy city"...in fact a very large chunk of kids who grow up in this city seem to go the urban/hip-hop route. It's not uncommon to even see the rich kids adopting a wannabe gangsta life of crime and slinging drugs, only to get bailed out by their rich mommies when they get arrested.

Yet another notch to SF's "two-city" thing going on. It's a city of extreme opposites, once you look beneath the layers and get past the media-fueled image of this place being some extremely rich/yuppified/boutique city.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:37 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
MOST OF CT & MA
San Diego
Denver
Long Island
Explain Denver. Jeans are appropriate anywhere. The opera, the ballet, a funeral in a church. Ditto athletic shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or