Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 PM

351 posts, read 649,697 times

Advertisements

Denver is definitely not "preppie." It's far too earthy for that. But it is very yuppie in the Whole Foods/Starbucks/Land Rover sort of way. That just indicates Denver's generic, suburban trendiness--not it's level of class.

The preppiest cities are definitely the ones with stunningly well-to-do neighborhoods and areas like New York's upper east side, San Francisco, Beverly Hills, Miami Beach, Boston's back bay, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 03:10 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I dont consider Hollister, AnF, etc to be preppy.
I do agree. It's indeed not a Vicomte Arthur. To ordinary people who are not in the lifestyle, so to speak, it might be what they perceive as preppy. You could say it's more for wannabes and almost any middle class teens.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:18 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I do agree. It's indeed not a Vicomte Arthur. To ordinary people who are not in the lifestyle, so to speak, it might be what they perceive as preppy. You could say it's more for wannabes and almost any middle class teens.
Yeah I used to consider that stuff preppy back when I was in high school. I went to a poor country high school and anything that was from the mall was considered preppy. But then I came to college and saw what true preppy was. Basically it's a style that doesn't go with the trends. Very traditional and conservative. It shouldnt be automatically equated with wealthy people because a lot of wealthy ppl tend to follow trends.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:44 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yeah I used to consider that stuff preppy back when I was in high school. I went to a poor country high school and anything that was from the mall was considered preppy. But then I came to college and saw what true preppy was. Basically it's a style that doesn't go with the trends. Very traditional and conservative. It shouldnt be automatically equated with wealthy people because a lot of wealthy ppl tend to follow trends.
They can only work if you're in high school. You got that right - it doesn't have nearly as much to do with wealth than a lot of people seem to think. I would say it's more related to old money (perhaps having assets that can be turned into cash) than having excessive money to spend. Preppy is of course not just about what you wear. It's only one of many elements. The clothes are definitely classic, often bright and natural fabric. A lot of the inspiration comes from activities like horseback riding, rugby, lacrosse, tennis and hunting.

One of my good friends, a young peer living in the Cotswolds, is of old money background, but through family circumstances he won't inherit much because of circumstances to do with his step-grandmother. I'm trying to say you can lose all the money you have and still be preppy. However, one should also say most preppies have had money in the family at some point of time in history.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
North Shore Long Island NY (Old Brookville, Lovust Valley Manhasset, Garden City)
the Hamptons NY
Fairfield County CT (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan)
Westchester County NY (Rye, Scarsdale)
Cape Code area MA (the Cape, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard)
Newport area RI
DC area (Georgetown)
Chester County PA (outside Philly)

Not sure, but I've heard Nashville TN is pretty strong

Old 11-23-2009, 12:19 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I know the term traditionally applies to towns in the northeast such as Nantucket.

All cities will have different kinds of people. But try to rank the following cities according to their preppyness:

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
San Diego
Denver
Austin
Dallas
Chicago
New York City
Boston

Add other major cities if you like.

Preppy, or pretentious?

I kid, I kid.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
The following should help you to accurately determine which communities have the most Preppies.

Preppy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Preppy Definition | Definition of Preppy at Dictionary.com

Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
In a nutshell, any place with a high concentration of "old" money, often replete with a local Vineyard Vines or J. Crew.

Like many have noted, that disproportionately includes a lot of areas in the Northeast.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:33 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,150 times
The preppiest city I ever lived in was Lexington, KY, which had a sort of southern/horsey take on preppy style and attitude.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
As far as San francisco being "preppy" sure, I guess it is to a certain extent, as is any other city.

The most preppy area in SF would have to be the Marina district, land of yuppies, frat boys, and the infamous "marina girls" (think trust fund Paris Hilton Types).

One thing I've noticed about SF is that it tends to be transplants who are the most preppy/yuppified. They love neighborhoods such as the aforementioned Marina, as a well as a few other affluent ones. As far as actual SF natives go, the preppy thing isn't really followed, at least not to the extent that it would label SF a "preppy city"...in fact a very large chunk of kids who grow up in this city seem to go the urban/hip-hop route. It's not uncommon to even see the rich kids adopting a wannabe gangsta life of crime and slinging drugs, only to get bailed out by their rich mommies when they get arrested.

Yet another notch to SF's "two-city" thing going on. It's a city of extreme opposites, once you look beneath the layers and get past the media-fueled image of this place being some extremely rich/yuppified/boutique city.

Yeah, a lot of the Bay Area preppies I knew grew up in Marin..If you met them outside NorCal they'd claim they were from San Francisco. But even Marin preppies are fairly laid-back and casual compared to East Coast old money. I remember a lot of preppies in suburbs on the peninsula as well, places like Hillsborough or Woodside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.