U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:04 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,914,853 times

Advertisements

Dinsdale, that might be respect but it's also preppy. I can tell by your posts that you know what preppy is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,986,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
AF, American Eagle and Hollister shoppers are nothing more than walmart shoppers with expendable incomes.

Barneys of New York is preppy. Brooks Brothers is preppy. Nordstroms is a preppy Department Store.
Dude have you been in A&F? The jeans are worth all your wardrobe. Serious. Get real.

Hollister and American Eagle are cheaper.. but no "Wal-Mart" shopper matteral.

Where I grew up people would die for A&F.. most people couldnt afford it.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,106,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
AF, American Eagle and Hollister shoppers are nothing more than walmart shoppers with expendable incomes.

Barneys of New York is preppy. Brooks Brothers is preppy. Nordstroms is a preppy Department Store.
I never associated Barneys & Brooks Brothers with preppy. I can see Nordstrom being a little preppy though. But I guess its just one's definition of preppy.

Also, the bold isn't true.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM

I wouldn't consider jeans to be particularly preppy. Khakis are more appropriate.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,026,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I never associated Barneys & Brooks Brothers with preppy. I can see Nordstrom being a little preppy though. But I guess its just one's definition of preppy.

Also, the bold isn't true.
The bold is true. AF / Eagle shoppers are wannbees. You can't buy class. Class is an attitude that doesn't have to be snobby.

spending money on clothes does not make a preppy. Real preppies will shop at goodwill and thrift shops.

Spending money on cars does not make a preppy (as I have pointed out the richest person I know drives a 1974 POS. His dad, a partner at the largest law firm in NY, drove a 30 year old Oldsmobile.

------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zbWgrGZsko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybi5-zDatak

These commercials were filmed in my home town (albiet a rival high school's boathouse). They are widely regarded as a joke in the rowing community when first released about 5 or 6 years ago. (23,500 and only 6 comments/ most were negative and for what ever reason have been deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I wouldn't consider jeans to be particularly preppy. Khakis are more appropriate.
Jeans are preppy if they are carpenter jeans purchased from Sears. I'm serious.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 AM

32,377 posts, read 55,190,768 times
When I was a kid preppy was like Polo Ralph Lauren, Gap, Banana Republic, Izod, J Crew, Dockers, etc. I know, I used to dress like that and everyone called me 'preppy'-LOL

A+F is not preppy imo. Too casual.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,389,955 times
Quote:
Real preppies will shop at goodwill and thrift shops
I think you're getting your preppies and your hipsters mixed up.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:17 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,225,969 times
Amazon.com: The Official Preppy Handbook (9780894801402): Jonathan Roberts, Carol McD. Wallace, Mason Wiley, Lisa Birnbach, Oliver Williams, Robin Holland: Books

^ the definitive guide to preppiness. It is still authoratative after all these years, because preppy never really changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Ralph Lauren is like old preppy...

The new preppy is: Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister... American Eagle.
Blasphemy. Hollister, AE, and A&F, at least when I was in school, were definitely not preppy. They are trendy, and trendy is the antithesis of preppy.

I consider the epicenter of preppiness to be the small private universities of Virginia, like Washington & Lee, Hampden-Sydney, etc.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,026,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I think you're getting your preppies and your hipsters mixed up.
Regarding hipsters: there is a very fine line between hipster and d-bag

Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna
Jeans are preppy if they are carpenter jeans purchased from Sears. I'm serious.
Egads, I'll pretend I didn't hear that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or