Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:50 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times

Advertisements

I know the term traditionally applies to towns in the northeast such as Nantucket.

All cities will have different kinds of people. But try to rank the following cities according to their preppyness:

Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
San Diego
Denver
Austin
Dallas
Chicago
New York City
Boston

Add other major cities if you like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I definitely don't think of Denver when I think of preppy cities. It's too laid-back. Boulder and Aspen fit the bill though.

Madison
Keene
Minneapolis
Jackson Hole
Bozeman
Scottsdale
Park City

Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Maybe some cities in Connecticut or Massachusetts.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Denver is full of yuppies. Not too preppy though. Jeans are appropriate everywhere. Boulder is not really preppy, either.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Explain "preppy" to me, so I know what you are talking about.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 AM

86 posts, read 341,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
for real, do you mean abercrombie amd hollister preppy? or like, horse riding jockey type preps?

because if its AnF and hollister prep, anywhere in new jersey, california, florida, texas, suburbs of seattle, atlanta, minneapolis, las vegas, phoenix, boston.

but in terms of other prep, i think of places like kentucky, martha's vineyard, nantucket in mass. and places of rich rural horse breeding places.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Fair enough. I should have written a short explanation. Yuppie, although sometimes used interchangeably with yuppie, isn't exactly the same. The term is nowadays in wider usage. Preppy is originally from old money upper crust WASP East coast blue-blood who sent their kids to preparatory schools and Ivy league colleges. They were also called Boston Brahmins. John F Kennedy, although Irish Catholic, was quite preppy. It must be said though the general public often misunderstand thinking it's mainly a matter of money. The bubble of exlusivity has since then moved beyond its original sphere of influence. The preppies had a boom in the 1980's. Tom Cruise played a preppy boy in "Risky Business (1983). I think it's a good thing because I see many positive qualities with being preppy.

Preppy refers to breeding, values, attitude (an air of cool detachment), and style - classic fashion rather than fashion forward. Preppies don't change lifestyle according to fads. They are prim and proper. Think of Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren, I do not like to narrow it down, but khakis, Oxford shirts, ribbon belts and topsiders, and wearing layers is preppy.

Preppies have a lot in common with their "cousins" in other countries. In France, they are called BCBG (bon chic bon genre), which is good taste or style, and atittude, in French.

The preppy look is eternal, fresh and effortless (dressed down doesn't bohemian). You like the status quo - background (as in family being important), old houses, furnitures, clothes, and wines.

Now I know it's difficult to find a majority of preppies in large cities because their heart is probably in the country. Those preppies are very much into equesterian sports and hunting. Most preppy towns are rather small. There are city preppies as well who may of course have relatives still living in the country or small towns.

True preppies are and will always be preppy with their focus on proper decorum. It gives a sense of belonging. There are those who try to adopt the lifestyle - I guess are yuppies.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyn View Post
for real, do you mean abercrombie amd hollister preppy?
It's a modern form of preppy among the younger crowd. Most of the people who wear their clothes are teenagers or young adults. They would be less traditional preppy. 18-22 year old Sloaney Brits wear Jack Wills, which is similar to A&F. I'm not a big fan of them. I think a lot of them grow out of the trend.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:01 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
I dont consider Hollister, AnF, etc to be preppy. Preppy is a Ralph Lauren Polo, some Khakis, and some loafers. Preppy doesnt follow trends so it doesn't change much over the years. But any ways, preppy cities would probably be found in New England, especially Connecticut. We have preppy people here in the South too. It just depends on where you go. Here in Memphis, most of the top private school kids are preppy. They mostly live in the old-money neighborhoods of the city. Hollister & AnF kids live in the suburbs.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Yes, the cities and towns of Connecticut are filled with Preppies. And you'll find a fairly large number of them in other areas of New England. And yes, preppies shun change and new trends or fads for tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.