U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern City Would You Most Like to Move to?
Cleveland 9 6.08%
Columbus 10 6.76%
Cincinnati 6 4.05%
Detroit 2 1.35%
Indianapolis 11 7.43%
St. Louis 22 14.86%
Kansas City 8 5.41%
Milwaukee 19 12.84%
Minneapolis 42 28.38%
Other--Specify 19 12.84%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,674,412 times

Advertisements

I live in the boonies 3 hours from St. Louis, but I love St. Louis. I'd like to live in the city someday, though it's not possible right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,917,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Minneapolis if I could deal with cold weather. Since I can't, I'd go with Louisville, KY. I know many of you will say it's South and not Midwest, but it's actually on the cusp, and feels much more Midwestern than it does Southern.
Maybe so, but its culture and demographics are undeniably Southern, right down to the accent. It definitely gets 4 distinct seasons though.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:15 PM

15,100 posts, read 31,467,926 times
Indy for me.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM

717 posts, read 2,499,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
St. Louis had the same thing, just not as cold as Chicago. Windchills in St. Louis yesterday I believe were between 5 and 15 below in the past two days. I never said St. Louis was colder than Chicago. THe wind chills here were I believe below -10 in the past few days. Even if St. Louis isn't as cold as Chicago, that doesn't mean it's winters are mild by any stretch. Last year St. Louis got 30 inches of snowfall. St. Louis still gets a lot of days with very cold temperatures and has a historical snowfall average of around 22.5 inches per year according to wunderground.com. Also, the kind of winter CHicago is getting now is harsh even by their standards. The snowfall they have gotten this year is 24 inches above their historic average, 40.5 inches this year as opposed to their historic average of 16.8. This is a VERY unusual winter for them. Chicago's historical snowfall average is only about a foot more than St. Louis...between 30-35 inches. So while St. Louis winters may not be as bad as Chicago, they are not what I would call mild by a long shot either. St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Kansas City are all very similar to each other in terms of winters. Their winters are what I would call moderate to capable of being harsh. Memphis, Nashville, and Little Rock...those cities have truly mild winters.
I really hate it when people start to nit-pick things apart--esp. when they don not READ the post or the comment closely. I have lived in both the Chicago area and the ST. Louis area. Some how I don't think you have--or you would know that there can be a big difference in Chicago & St. Louis winters.

If you read my original comment, I state "St. Louis has MUCH milder winters than Chicago." I don't say St. Louis has mild winters. I say it has MILDER WINTERS THAN CHICAGO....

Mild is truely a subjective, personal matter..cause now that I live in Florida; Memphis, Nashville, Little Rock are not mild in my opinion. Someone in Hawaii is probably not going to think that these cities have mild winters either.

Now, you can nit-pick all you want, but I am done commenting on this. Just be sure to read someone's post closely before you begin to tear it apart. If you don't have first-hand knowledge of something, it's better to leave it unsaid.

I'm pretty chilly here in Orlando today--so I am sure as heck glad that I am not in St. Louis, Chicago, Little Rock, Nashville, Memphis or any place else that is not south of where I am...

Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 PM

604 posts, read 1,667,856 times
i agree with itsajourney
chicago winters are way worse and last much longer.
chicago probably has the coldest temps of any city over 1 mill in all of north america except for montreal. It was -26C or -27C in chicago (i think -18F) but it was more like -18C (0 F) in toronto

Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I really hate it when people start to nit-pick things apart--esp. when they don not READ the post or the comment closely. I have lived in both the Chicago area and the ST. Louis area. Some how I don't think you have--or you would know that there can be a big difference in Chicago & St. Louis winters.

If you read my original comment, I state "St. Louis has MUCH milder winters than Chicago." I don't say St. Louis has mild winters. I say it has MILDER WINTERS THAN CHICAGO....

Mild is truely a subjective, personal matter..cause now that I live in Florida; Memphis, Nashville, Little Rock are not mild in my opinion. Someone in Hawaii is probably not going to think that these cities have mild winters either.

Now, you can nit-pick all you want, but I am done commenting on this. Just be sure to read someone's post closely before you begin to tear it apart. If you don't have first-hand knowledge of something, it's better to leave it unsaid.

I'm pretty chilly here in Orlando today--so I am sure as heck glad that I am not in St. Louis, Chicago, Little Rock, Nashville, Memphis or any place else that is not south of where I am...
Ok, so I misread, but now you are just lashing out at me. Memphis, Little Rock, and Nashville have mild winters in that they get little to snow and generally don't ever get below the mid '20s in terms of coldness. That is unquestionably mild except if like you said in the very southernmost parts of the united states, who never even get below the 40s.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:53 AM

300 posts, read 920,087 times
St.Louis.

Midwest sucks. WEST COOOOAST, EAST COOOOOAST. The coastal areas are da best.

MIDWEST SUX HOHOHOH

Old 01-17-2009, 03:03 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,129,366 times
Minneapolis. Home to THE friendliest people of any major city in the country. The highly-educated population, cultural events, and recreational opportunities are all extremely attractive.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:45 AM

351 posts, read 542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I still have family in Chicago--and spoke with them yesterday...did you look at the temp in Chicago yesterday? I believe they were well below zero with wind chills that were much colder than that. So, St. Louis may get its really cold snaps, but they do not have nearly as many deep freezes as the Chicago area. On a day to day basis, it would be rare to find a day that St Louis is colder than Chicago.
The western suburbs of Chicagoland bottomed out at -23 yesterday morning. The lakefront was a balmy -12. Having lived in both areas I can say that Chicago is much colder than St. Louis. The flip side, however, is that Chicago summers are much more tolerable than St. Louis'.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
The western suburbs of Chicagoland bottomed out at -23 yesterday morning. The lakefront was a balmy -12. Having lived in both areas I can say that Chicago is much colder than St. Louis. The flip side, however, is that Chicago summers are much more tolerable than St. Louis'.
Didn't catch the -23 fahrenheit on wunderground.com, and I follow that site like clockwork, at least when i'm at my computer. Nevertheless, I did see Chicago reach -17 at one point. So I dunno...if I had to take a pick, I would probably go for Chicago because it gets a lot more snow than St. Louis does and has a fairly cool summer. It is consistently cold in the winter and temperatures in the summer consistently stay warm with a day or two in the 90s. St. Louis' winters are bad in that not only does it get cold and snow, the temperature snaps into a warm spell usually for a day or two before going back to normal cold. Chicago doesn't get that...their temperature is stable because of Lake Michigan. I always get sick during the winter because of the occasional brief warm spells that then snap back to freezing. Chicago I like because the temperature is more stable by the lake. St. Louis doesn't really have anything to keep its temperatures as stable as Chicago. In the summer, St. Louis has brief cool spells in between the normally hot and humid spells. So basically, the temperatures are usually cold in the winter, hot in the summer, with the occasional dramatic fluctuation in temperature. At least Chicago has nice summers and has more moderated temperatures.

Last edited by ajf131; 01-17-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or