U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern City Would You Most Like to Move to?
Cleveland 9 6.08%
Columbus 10 6.76%
Cincinnati 6 4.05%
Detroit 2 1.35%
Indianapolis 11 7.43%
St. Louis 22 14.86%
Kansas City 8 5.41%
Milwaukee 19 12.84%
Minneapolis 42 28.38%
Other--Specify 19 12.84%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,608,418 times

Advertisements

nevermind.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:01 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,167,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Cosmopolitan is a state of mind, not defined by some percentage of racial composition. Based on what I know, I'd pick Minneapolis in this regard.
First of all, cosmopolitan is not a state of mind. There are several definitions as to what it can mean, it's not open to interpretation.

cosmopolitan definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta
cos∑mo∑pol∑i∑tan [ kÚzmə půllit'n ]

adjective
Definition: 1. made up of diverse peoples: composed of or containing people from different countries and cultures

2. showing cultural diversity: showing the influence of many countries and cultures
the city's cosmopolitan atmosphere

3. international in scope: having worldwide relevance or scope
events of national and cosmopolitan importance

4. knowledgeable and refined: showing a breadth of knowledge and refinement from having traveled widely
his wide-ranging and cosmopolitan interests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Milwaukee is a slow-moving, racially-segregated city with limited opportunites...and don't you forget it either.
Milwaukee is segregated, but San Francisco isn't? San Francisco has Chinatown and the Castro District, those neighborhoods are segregated aren't they?

I'm so sick of hearing people from San Francisco talk about how diverse the city is, when it is actually one of the whitest big cities in America along with Minneapolis and Seattle.

Bay Area Census -- San Francisco City and County
San Francisco
53.9% White
6.8% Black
0.4% Native American
31.6% Asian
0.4% Pacific Islander
4.0% other
2.8% two or more races
14.0% Latino

Old 04-04-2009, 09:22 AM

305 posts, read 365,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
First of all, "progressive" usually means liberal, while "independent minded" usually mean libertarian. What do you mean by this? How can a city be both? Have you actually ever been to Minneapolis or Milwaukee? I greatly doubt that you have or I guarantee you wouldn't describe Milwaukee as a "crap hole" if you had. Being that you are Canadian, I'm sure you prefer Minneapolis because feels more like a Canadian city than an American city. You know, frigid cold temperatures, impeccably clean streets, and an incredibly small minority population for a city its size. Minneapolis is basically a wealthy enclave for yuppies from all over the Midwest. It's been gentrified to the nth degree. Cities like Denver, Seattle, and Minneapolis are beautiful no doubt, but that perfection was achieved at the expense of destroying each city's unique essence and character. No thanks, I prefer the grit and grime that generally accompanies life in a real big city.
Snaps, like Minneapolis was not "Murderapolis" just a decade ago.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,167,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Snaps, like Minneapolis was not "Murderapolis" just a decade ago.
If you say so. I've never heard anybody refer to Minneapolis as "Murderapolis" before reading this thread.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 AM

343 posts, read 1,265,122 times
Quote:

Milwaukee is segregated, but San Francisco isn't? San Francisco has Chinatown and the Castro District, those neighborhoods are segregated aren't they?

Main difference being that places like China town, and the people who come from there are not economically disadvantaged like the ghettos of Milwaukee. I am not trying to be funny in saying that. Segregation is alot more then just people living in certain neighborhoods. Its economic and educational.

Secondly diversity is much more then just the numbers inside the city core. San Fransico has alot more diversity then either Minneapolis or Milwaukee because its a truly world city. You see people from all over the world who did not grow up in the United States.

Granted the west coast cities do not have many people of African decent, but that does not make them any less diverse. Its just different.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM

305 posts, read 365,546 times
Quote:
If you say so. I've never heard anybody refer to Minneapolis as "Murderapolis" before reading this thread.
A writer for the New York Times dubbed that term in the mid 80s I believe.

But the notion that you would not move to a city because it does not have enough crime sounds like something out of a suburban teenager.
And is Minneapolis not hard core enough for you? Have you seen all the people who have written, " I would move to Minneapolis, but I can't stand the cold."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or